A Big Loop Around Devils Rest 19-Jan-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxflowergirl

Re: A Big Loop Around Devils Rest 19-Jan-2013

Post by pdxflowergirl » January 20th, 2013, 1:38 pm

VanMarmot wrote:
Sean Thomas wrote:Is that last pic a VM self shot? :) Great idea for a hike close to town that offers lots of quiet sections of trail/old road if you know where to look. Thanks for posting the map.
Yes, it's a self-portrait. I think pdxflowergirl has the only actual picture of me - taken one foggy day on Observation Peak. Unlike Mayhem, I haven't learned the art of stretching my arm out to take a self-portrait.
It can't be the ONLY picture of you :lol:
Kam

er0ck

Post by er0ck » January 20th, 2013, 4:59 pm

those old roads/trails off upper palmer mill is some of my favorite area in the close gorge.
great trip report! love that loop. some ice, but no snow?

there are at least two motorcycles back there. 70s honda CB/CL/SL 350s. i have the same bike, in a bit better condition :D

there is also some kind of ferris wheel car back in the trees a bit from part of the road that goes uphill closer to devil's.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=7851

is this the washout on upper palmer mill road, pablo?
this picture is from May 2011
bad knees rules everything around me.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » January 21st, 2013, 10:29 am

pdxflowergirl wrote:
VanMarmot wrote:
Sean Thomas wrote:Is that last pic a VM self shot? :) Great idea for a hike close to town that offers lots of quiet sections of trail/old road if you know where to look. Thanks for posting the map.
Yes, it's a self-portrait. I think pdxflowergirl has the only actual picture of me - taken one foggy day on Observation Peak. Unlike Mayhem, I haven't learned the art of stretching my arm out to take a self-portrait.
It can't be the ONLY picture of you :lol:
I believe it is, as I try to keep a low profile when out in the woods.

Guy

Post by Guy » January 27th, 2013, 6:00 pm

pablo wrote:In that section of road you traveled after Devils rest on the way to Palmer Mill Road, do you recall crossing a stream that lies in a ditch about 2-3' wide that cuts orthogonally across the road? This spot is an example of the effects of good intentions gone awry. This summer someone made a nice little stone bridge across the creek when the flows were low, cute, you could walk across rather than having to jump. Then the rains came this fall and the nice stone walkway turned into a rock dam diverting pretty much the entire stream down the roadway/trail. Really made a mess of things. I cleared out al the rocks and tried to establish a dam to protect the trail - I think the channel should be pretty much back to normal but there was still a little water going down the trail last time I was up there.
Paul, Chiyoko & I were up there today & if we are talking about the same place then someone has re blocked the creek forcing the water onto the old road again!

Causing this:

Goodness knows why! I re opened the dam.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Peder

Post by Peder » February 3rd, 2013, 3:53 pm

Bruce - I followed your footsteps on a CCW loop. The road was again flooded. Thankfully I had just been passed by the local road maintenance worker (aka Pablo) and he removed the dam before I caught up with him. That had something to do with his waterproof footwear (I hope for him) versus my discount boots that fare better without submersion in water.
DSC02614.jpg
The flooded road. You can just see the maintenance worker wearing his reflective orange vest through the bushes.
A couple of non-motorized items that struck me along the loop:
DSC02624.jpg
Theft proof trail sign!
DSC02627.jpg
Why hang this stuff on bushes in the middle of nowhere?
An interesting conversation with a young couple on the Wahkeena Trail:

Him: "Are we almost there?"
Peder: "That depends on where you are going!"
Him: "The top of Multnomah Falls."
Peder: "Then you are on the wrong trail!"
Him & her: "Oh..."
Peder: "The falls are in that direction below us."
Him & her: "Oh..."

Anyhow, it turned out they were doing the Wahkeena - Multnomah loop, so they were doing just fine. I think that all the gear they were carrying was cigarettes and a lighter.

There was also a giggling couple in bare feet and sandals in the mud & snow below Devil's Rest!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…