01.01.13 Timberline Lodge to Palmer Glacier, First Sunrise

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
renegadepilgrim

01.01.13 Timberline Lodge to Palmer Glacier, First Sunrise

Post by renegadepilgrim » January 1st, 2013, 11:12 pm

I'm going to have a more detailed trail report here in a bit...until then, all I have to say is that Mt. Hood was the place to be this morning...walking by the moonlight up to Silcox Hut, then watching the sunrise as I continued walking up to Palmer Glacier (didn't make it due to freezing fingers from taking too many pictures!) and being able to see Mt. Jefferson and the Three Sisters to the south, plus just being alone with my thoughts as I greeted the new year...yeah, it was pretty damn amazing.

Here's to a kick a** new year full of many more outdoor adventures!
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim

Re: 01.01.13 Timberline Lodge to Palmer Glacier, First Sunri

Post by renegadepilgrim » January 1st, 2013, 11:22 pm

2.0 miles, 1250' gained

My Meetup group thought we would ring in the new year right with a hike to Palmer Glacier for the sunrise. While I didn't make it all the way to the top of Palmer, I did make it past Silcox Hut for my first hike in this area. We started at 6:10a and arrived at Silcox an hour later. I continued past the hut for a bit before my cold fingers got the best of me and I turned around so I could watch the amazing sunrise. The wind was not too bad and we started walking in the moonlight with clear skies and stars as far as the eye could see. My fear of the mountain lessened on this trip and I hope to get back up there again to finally get to the top of Palmer.

zee

Post by zee » January 1st, 2013, 11:34 pm

Incredible and inspiring! And a hearty bravo for the courage!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 2nd, 2013, 9:41 pm

Beautiful pictures! Good idea to head up there early, too -- to avoid the skiers! Did you walk on the groomed runs or off to the side? I've always felt kind of sketchy walking across the ski runs... not that I should, but you don't see to many snowshoers stomping around up there. I've been wanting to explore a bit up there, so thanks for the inspiration!

Tom :)

mcds

Post by mcds » January 3rd, 2013, 4:53 pm

I agree with zee and Splintercat, wow!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 3rd, 2013, 5:10 pm

Seems like a splendid idea! I've done that in the summer, but the winter would be great! (Not to mention the much later sunrise. ;)) So how early do the ski runs open up?

Those photos/views are stunning...
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

hlee

Post by hlee » January 3rd, 2013, 5:10 pm

Sounds like an unforgettable (and freezing cold) experience! Thanks for the beautiful photos!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » January 4th, 2013, 5:12 am

Splintercat wrote:Beautiful pictures! Good idea to head up there early, too -- to avoid the skiers! Did you walk on the groomed runs or off to the side? I've always felt kind of sketchy walking across the ski runs... not that I should, but you don't see to many snowshoers stomping around up there. I've been wanting to explore a bit up there, so thanks for the inspiration!

Tom :)
We walked up the snowcat tracks with microspikes...no snowshoes, the snow was packed down enough you really didn't need them. We did cross the ski runs, just past Silcox Hut, but at 6a, they weren't running anyways! I am not sure when they started running...I was off the hill by 8:30a (my cohorts came off the hill around 10:30a after going to the top of Palmer). I did see some people going up on snowshoes...otherwise, most people were just in hiking boots, split boards, tele skis (I think) or other types of mountaineering-wear...

I have to say...I want to go back...maybe in another month. I am doing some traveling next week out of state, so I need to wait until I get back. Ya'll might be seeing a trip report or two from Arizona.... :)