2012: Back on the Trail, Again!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

2012: Back on the Trail, Again!

Post by kepPNW » January 1st, 2013, 7:22 pm

What a transformative year 2012 was for me! I've recounted here, a couple times, that I basically "was responsible" for the last 25 years. Sat a desk, went to soccer/baseball/football games, school concerts and other events, and so on. Not that there's anything wrong with that! But now the kids are off to college, and the chance to get back out into the woods presented itself anew. It'd been ages since I'd done much of this. Maybe one or two 5 or 6 mile hikes a year. I think Harry's Ridge in 2011 and Mt. Scott (Crater Lake NP) in 2010 stand out most in recent memory.

This year, that pattern changed! The bug may have bit on my 50th, a few years ago, when we went up Silver Star. And it was really starting to itch now! :) I had bought a new pair of hiking boots over the winter, and come late spring it was time to put them to use. I was overweight and not in the best of shape. My ultimate goal was to crack 26 miles in a day, so I could go do a hike in the North Cascades that I'd always wanted to do. Plans changed, of course. I did get within spitting distance of that goal if not quite there. Had the time of my life working on it, though! :)

In searching out trails to try, Google again and again pointed me to PortlandHikers.org for the details. Within a month or so, it was clearly time to sign on. Far too much knowledge here to not dive right in! Finding this community, to help out in my new pursuits, to share the results with, even to meet out on the trail, has been a blessing and a joy! Thanks to all of you, and I hope to cross trails with many more over the coming year. The following is a recap of my "cover photos" for 2012. I hope you'll pardon the indulgence...

Click any photo for a full-screen enlargement.

May 18: Hamilton Mountain, 9.4 miles, 2650' EG

May 18: Beacon Rock, 1.6 miles, 600' EG

May 26: Eagle Creek to Wahtum Lake Jct, 18.7 miles, 2200' EG*

June 3: Franklin Ridge Loop - Multnomah to Oneonta, 14.6 miles, 3200' EG*

June 10: Devil's Rest Loop - Multnomah to Wahkeena, 13.2 miles, 3000' EG*

June 15: Silver Star Mtn Loop from Grouse Vista, 12.6 miles, 4200' EG, trip report

June 23: Hardy Ridge, 9.2 miles, 2830' EG, trip report

June 29: Nesmith Point, 11.6 miles, 5180' EG

July 4: Grassy Knoll to Big Huckleberry, 12.2 miles, 3625' EG, trip report

July 10: Angel's Rest - Devil's Rest Loop, 11.6 miles, 4050' EG, trip report

July 13: Ramona Falls, 8.3 miles, 1975' EG

July 14: Burnt Lake and East Zigzag Mtn, 14.1 miles, 4175' EG, trip report

July 15: Castle Canyon, 2.7 miles, 1150' EG, trip report

July 15: Timberline to Silcox Hut, 2.7 miles, 1200' EG, trip report

July 16: Devil's Peak via Cool Creek, 7.6 miles, 3500' EG

July 16: Salmon River, 5.0 miles, 250' EG*

July 21: Cape Horn Loop, 7.7 miles, 2125' EG, trip report

July 28: Coldwater Peak and beyond, 18.7 miles, 4750' EG, trip report

August 2: Hamilton Mountain, 8.0 miles, 2550' EG

August 10: Cooper Spur and Gnarl Ridge, 11.9 miles, 4630' EG, trip report

August 19: Ape Canyon to Loowit Falls, 21.8 miles, 5075' EG, trip report

August 25: Mississippi Head via Paradise Park, 12.1 miles, 4575' EG, trip report

September 8: Silver Star and Little Baldy via Ed's Trail, 10.6 miles, 3140' EG

(Month-long hiatus for roadtrip!)

October 13: Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, 6.8 miles, 200' EG*

October 19: Eagle Creek to 7.5 Mile Camp, 15.6 miles, 1800' EG*, trip report

October 25: Larch Mountain, 19.8 miles, 4650' EG, trip report

November 2: Coldwater MegaLoop, 22.1 miles, 4380' EG, trip report

November 16: Starvation-Defiance Loop, 13.7 miles, 5280' EG, trip report

November 25: Nick Eaton Ridge - Gorton Creek Loop, 14.2 miles, 4600' EG, trip report

December 2: Multnomah Basin, 9.3 miles, 2330' EG, trip report

December 8: Table Mountain - Cedar Mountain Loop, 12.1 miles, 4300' EG, trip report

December 15: Bell Creek Loop, 16.4 miles, 4250' EG, trip report

December 27: Eagle Creek to Twister Falls, 14.1 miles, 1680' EG

December 30: Astoria Riverwalk, 5.3 miles, 250' EG*

December 30: Fort Stevens State Park, 4-to-5-ish miles, 250'-ish EG

* Totally crazy EG numbers in track, so best guesstimate offered. Stats above (mostly) calculated by gpsfly. All tracks available here.

In all, nearly 400 miles. I will not try to offer a best guess on total elevation gain. I rarely repeated any trail, Eagle Creek being the main exception, but that was during different seasons. Also went up Hamilton twice, but once was at night to test a new headlamp.

In the process, I seem to have left about 30 pounds of fat along the trail! What a bonus. :)

Of course, this forum also offered the opportunity to make many new TFFs!

Me chatting about Table Mountain (climbed earlier that day) with Don Lowe. Roberta Lowe to his left.
First time I climbed Table Mountain, in 1986, we were guided by one of their columns.

The culmination being the 2012 Winter Meet & Deet, where I met so many of you, as well as a pair of authors I admired from many decades ago! I only wish I could've had more time to touch base with everyone there.

What a great year in the woods!!! :D
Last edited by kepPNW on January 5th, 2013, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Crusak

Re: 2012: Back on the Trail, Again!

Post by Crusak » January 1st, 2013, 7:36 pm

What a year for you, Karl! Lost 30 lbs and gained 30 TFF's in the process. :)

Nice work on the summary post too, complete with links to your TRs. I can't say that I have the patience or willpower to do the same. :lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Peder

Post by Peder » January 1st, 2013, 7:49 pm

Great year Karl! Happy hiking in 2013, hopefully together at least once.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Jack

Post by Jack » January 1st, 2013, 8:26 pm

That's some good stuff, Karl! Thanks for summarizing with your great photos. For just getting restarted, you made a comeback with a BANG!

Jack

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » January 1st, 2013, 9:19 pm

Nice photos, Karl - glad you're back on the trail! I don't think I want to know who is standing on top of Indian Point, however... ai-yi-yi...! (okay, so I know Don Nelsen as done that, but no surprise there... ) ;)

Tom :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » January 1st, 2013, 10:15 pm

I'm with you Karl

Back in "the bad old days" when I had to work I didn't have as much time to do what I wanted

romann

Post by romann » January 1st, 2013, 11:21 pm

Beautiful photos Karl, and great work on hiking in 2012.

Keep it up in 2013 :)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » January 2nd, 2013, 6:39 am

Thanks for all the good thoughts and kind words!
Crusak wrote:What a year for you, Karl! Lost 30 lbs and gained 30 TFF's in the process. :)

Nice work on the summary post too, complete with links to your TRs. I can't say that I have the patience or willpower to do the same. :lol:
I'm not exaggerating when I tell folks that, "I'm having the time of my life!" :) The collection above took a little while to put together, but I'll probably refer to it more than a few times, and give the link to folks I know aren't regulars here too. And, it was fun remembering all those journeys! (The search function here makes it very easy to get a list of all your TRs!)

Some time this year, knee willing, WRT thru?
Peder wrote:Great year Karl! Happy hiking in 2013, hopefully together at least once.
MSH! If not others, too. :)
Jack wrote:That's some good stuff, Karl! Thanks for summarizing with your great photos. For just getting restarted, you made a comeback with a BANG!
You can tell, I have way too much fun with the photos, eh? Just hope that BANG in my knee goes away soon, but you are a shining example of how that's no good reason not to be out there! :)
Splintercat wrote:Nice photos, Karl - glad you're back on the trail! I don't think I want to know who is standing on top of Indian Point, however... ai-yi-yi...!
Link to the TR is right there, Tom. ;)

Special thanks to you, for all you do to keep this board alive!
retired jerry wrote:I'm with you Karl. Back in "the bad old days" when I had to work I didn't have as much time to do what I wanted
Well, they can't call me "retired karl" yet, but why defer the transition?! :D
romann wrote:Beautiful photos Karl, and great work on hiking in 2012. Keep it up in 2013 :)
Appreciated, Roman. It's a plan! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

payslee

Post by payslee » January 2nd, 2013, 9:41 am

Thanks for posting these Karl and Happy New Year. Those pics are a stunning inspiration to explore even more! PH is lucky that you joined.

-payslee

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » January 2nd, 2013, 4:03 pm

Karl - Been there and done the raising family thing for decades! Now it's time to reward yourself for a job well done, and 2012 looks like a great beginning and indicator of great times to come. I can relate to hitting the 50yo wall and asking "What's next?". I think we both hit the same conclusion, hike, and find others that can relate and participate in the wonderful experiences. PH'ers is a great venue for meeting those people who can help heighten the experience. :D You've contributed great pictures and TR's over the past year, and I hope to read more in the future! I'm also hoping our paths will cross more than just the Meet&Deet so we can share the stories/adventures!

Mike