12/23/12 Jones Creek Loop A Hike Attempt - Bridge destroyed!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

12/23/12 Jones Creek Loop A Hike Attempt - Bridge destroyed!

Post by mileagemike25000 » December 28th, 2012, 9:17 pm

We decided to try our luck at completing the Loop A trail since we failed on our first attempt. :( Jones Creek is in the Washougal foothills and is part of an OHV trail system that is closed to motorized vehicles from December 1 through April 30. Upon getting some great feedback, on a previous TR, I am including a link to the topo map where the TH exists.

The hiking path we took is a bit difficult to explain, but it is fairly well marked at the key intersections. I still recommend bringing a map or gps as it would be easy to get lost if you're not careful, as there are so many trails (and road crossings) to explore. :?

We parked at a gate that we had remembered from before, but it ended up not being in the best place, and so we walked NE on road L-1600 and then cut into the trail on the left side of the road (there are many cut-in points). I recommend starting on road L-1600 at the OHV loading area that has a nice sign, bulletin board and large parking lot with a toilet (this is across from the Jones Creek Campground/picnic waypoint on the map).
1 Parking area for Jones Creek Hike_DxO_(1).jpg
We hiked the Loop A trail in the clockwise direction after we cut-in from the road. There was a small bridge and stream close to our trail intersection.
2 Cutting into trail from road & viewing stream_DxO_(1).jpg
The trail was in excellent shape as we hiked along the trail, with very few puddles.
3 Heading clockwise around the Loop A trail_DxO_(1).jpg
Along the way we crossed over a stream on a nice bridge.
4 Crossing on bridge over stream_DxO_(1).jpg
5 Stream_DxO_(1).jpg
And we reached the well marked intersection where Loop A continued to the right and Loop B/C continued straight. We decided to try for the Loop B hike as it was a significantly longer hike with a bit more challenge.
6 Loop A to the right and Loop B goes straight_DxO_(1).jpg
The trail ascended as we hiked along. Unfortunately, the guns that we had been hearing were getting closer. :x
8 The guns are getting louder as we ascend_DxO_(1).jpg
We reached a short spur trail and decided to take it to the road to assess the shooting range location. There was a nice view of the snow covered hills when we broke out of the canopy. :)
9 Take spur trail to a view - gun fire just past the road!_DxO_(1).jpg
Unfortunately, the guns were quite loud and just past the road, but out of our sight. We decided to turn around as it appeared the backstop was in the direction of the trail! We turned around and headed back to the Loop A trail. As we continued we again crossed over a stream on another very sturdy bridge.
10 Back on the Loop A and bridge over stream_DxO_(1).jpg
We crossed another couple of roads as we hiked clockwise around the trail. As you can see, the signs are quite nice and easy to follow! :)
11 Continuing on the A Loop  after crossing the road_DxO_(1).jpg
And as we hiked we passed a small spur trail, but continued on the wider and more used trail. I looked at the gps and realized this small spur trail was part of the true Loop A hike. We descended down the trail and noticed it was in poor condition with plants growing over it, but we continued anyway. :? We finally reached the bottom of this trail segment, just before it crossed Jones Creek, and then noticed why the trail was in bad shape! The bridge was folded up and rotting. :o Perhaps it was due to storm damage and flooding?
12 Why is this bridge folded up_DxO_(1).jpg
I went to inspect the bridge where it should have spanned the creek, and there was a lone beam still in place. :?
13 The Jones Creek crossing looks a bit GONE to me!_DxO_(1).jpg
I'm sure this section could have been crossed, but there was a second section of the bridge (not shown) that was completely washed out. We didn't attempt to go further, and turned around to go back on the main trail. I really liked the view of the creek going through the lowlands where the bridge was down. :)
14 Nice view near bridge!_DxO_(1).jpg
We didn't bother trying to complete the loop, but instead just headed back to the car, as it was getting late. We'll have to finish this loop on yet another day?

As you might have expected, the trail system was devoid of people and OHV's during the entire hike! :D The hike was 6.5 miles with an elevation gain of just under 1500ft.
Jones Creek Loop A.JPG

bobcat

Re: 12/23/12 Jones Creek Loop A Hike Attempt - Bridge destro

Post by bobcat » December 30th, 2012, 8:55 am

The mysteries of Jones Creek slowly unraveled from a non-motorized point of view! Looks like you can wade the creek at the broken bridge (I don't mind getting wet from the bottom up since it usually happens from the top down this time of year anyway). I wonder if that particular connection has been permanently decommissioned, though.

mileagemike25000

Re: 12/23/12 Jones Creek Loop A Hike Attempt - Bridge destro

Post by mileagemike25000 » December 30th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Bobcat - The water doesn't appear to be that deep, at least where I saw the bridge down. There is another section on the other side of the bridge, where the creek has split, that is unknown. If you happen to go there, please let us know what it looks like? :)
bobcat wrote:(I don't mind getting wet from the bottom up since it usually happens from the top down this time of year anyway).
So true! :lol:

As far as the official map is concerned, the trail doesn't seem to be decommisioned at this time? :? I think the loop we took is probably part of the new loop though?