Gales Creek to Bell Camp with the three stooges: 12/8/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Gales Creek to Bell Camp with the three stooges: 12/8/12

Post by Sean Thomas » December 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm

The stooges and I headed out to Gales Creek yesterday for a hike before some afternoon plans and an awesome time at the meet and deet :) We had never hiked the entire 5.2 mile section of the Gales Creek Trail from the end of the campground spur to Bell Camp Road. A ton of hard work was put into to realigning and reestablishing this section of trail after flooding and washouts in 2006 and 2007 left it impassable. I parked outside the open gate off hwy 6 and took off down the gravel road to the campground until we reached the trail:

Three stooges and me as big stooge getting ready at the parking area:

The recent storms have toppled a few trees and caused the trail to slide out in a few places. Nemo takes the high road while Bert opts for the lower route:

Lots of Honey Mushrooms, nurse stumps and Red Alder leaves of varying sizes along the way:

The creek is very pretty as it fights its way mile after mile through a maze of logs and recently fallen trees:

It was fun to check out this old?

There were a lot of stream crossings along the way to Bell Camp rd that were flowing pretty strongly. Some of them had nice little falls right off the trail or directly onto the trail itself :)

Jack always seems fascinated by them:

We saw eight or nine elk on Bell Camp Road which caused quite a bit of excitement in both groups:

I made a bad call extending the hike all the way to Bell Camp rd and not long after turning around it was clear little Bert was spent for the day. He was happy to saddle up in the pack for the last 4 or 5 miles and didnt make a peep on the whole ride home:

A few weeks back Jojo and I hiked a little bit of the same section and admired a large cottonwood:

And a Douglas-Fir that seems to have escaped the burn and the saw?

While we were hiking the road back to the entrance gate a man drove down asking if I had a cell phone and if I would call someone to come open the gate. The road that goes past the campground is gated and often closed in the winter but loggers or ODF open the gate during the day to access the highway/logging. Hunters and hikers a like seem to drive past the gate all winter/early spring despite increasingly larger warning signs at the entrance stating that the gate can be and will be closed at any time. The loggers must have called it a weekend early and closed the gate leaving his car and another vehicle on the wrong end of the gate. There was a telephone number on the sign he asked me to call but it was only open during weekdays. There are several ways to leave the area from the campground and get back to Timber rd to the east or Bell Camp/Storey Burn to the west but he didnt have a map and wasnt familiar with the area.

Peder

Re: Gales Creek to Bell Camp with the three stooges: 12/8/12

Post by Peder » December 9th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:...not long after turning around it was clear little Bert was spent for the day. He was happy to saddle up in the pack for the last 4 or 5 miles and didnt make a peep on the whole ride home
I do hope that Bert was wearing his "I'm a Portland Hiker" badge! Obviously your stranded motorist did not get a picture of the big stooge carrying the little stooge Bert or you would have posted it! That is a great trip report and the reopened trail sure sounds worthwhile to visit.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 9th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Lol, thats a good idea. I should have asked for a picture with him and we could have been 5 stooges! :)

I revamped on the badges last night at the deet after rusting a few out in the rain. Brad did an awsome job on a few custom buttons I saw as well.

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 10th, 2012, 6:46 am

Read the subject line and for a moment wondered if I was on a hike and didn't realize it! :)

Cute dog in the pack.

The rusted old? looks like a bass drum to me! :D

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 10th, 2012, 7:34 am

Sean Thomas wrote:I made a bad call extending the hike all the way to Bell Camp rd and not long after turning around it was clear little Bert was spent for the day. He was happy to saddle up in the pack for the last 4 or 5 miles and didnt make a peep on the whole ride home:

Awesome picture of the year, Sean! Too bad the calendar is already printed..!

-Tom :)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 10th, 2012, 7:38 am

Splintercat wrote:
Sean Thomas wrote:I made a bad call extending the hike all the way to Bell Camp rd and not long after turning around it was clear little Bert was spent for the day. He was happy to saddle up in the pack for the last 4 or 5 miles and didnt make a peep on the whole ride home:

Awesome picture of the year, Sean! Too bad the calendar is already printed..!

-Tom :)
I was thinking the calendar year for entries should start the week of the previous years
entry deadline. Does that make sense? heh So anything after the deadline we just had
could be included. :)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 10th, 2012, 8:03 am

You saved me a trip report as I was there yesterday (Sunday). Got a late start after a late night (unfortunately not at the Meet n Deet), but made it past Bell Camp Road to where the trail begins to drop to Reehers Camp. I think your unidentified artifact may be a dryer drum being as it lies close to a bullet-riddled washing machine - just one of those iconic sightings one enjoys when in the Tillamook S.F. My pictures are almost the same - the cluster of mushrooms, the same fern-topped stump, the lone old growth Douglas-fir. Was disappointed by the lack of critter sign - just a couple of elk crashing off. Even your little pooch prints already obliterated by rain and mountain bikers; otherwise, I would have pegged them for bower marmots, I'm sure.

The trail rerouting, keeping it all to one side of Gales Creek, is a magnificent job. Still, it is beginning to slide in a couple of places so will need annual upkeep.

Trek-or

Post by Trek-or » December 11th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Nice report - it's been years since I've hike in the Gales Creek area. FYI - I just searched the Trail Guide and can't locate anything on Gales Creek. I searched Portland & coast area indexes (in the coast index I see all the Wilson River info, but nothing for Gales Creek). I'd be interested in reading current trail guide data & seeing maps. Thanks!

Peder

Post by Peder » December 12th, 2012, 6:28 am

Trek-or: The hike is written up in Sullivan's 100 Hikes in NW Oregon
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 12th, 2012, 8:07 am

@Trek-or: Tillamook State Forest has brochures on all of its major trails. Here's the one on Gales Creek.

Even though it is dated 2012, they did not put in the new trail alignment, which keeps to the west side of Gales Creek, whereas before the winter of 2007-08 it crossed over to the east side and then back again.