Nick Eaton-Gorton Creek Loop, 25-Nov-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Nick Eaton-Gorton Creek Loop, 25-Nov-2012

Post by kepPNW » November 26th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Lots of turkey and fixins to work off, plus a glorious forecast, added up to looking for some serious hills to climb! Yesterday was probably the most clean and clear skies I've have the good fortune to hike under this year. Crystal clear blue with stunningly pure snow-capped peaks scattered across the horizons. Of course, I chose a trail that turned out to be nearly entirely in the shade of nearby mountains and ancient forests, so I only caught occasional glimpses of the views that were surely all around me. No matter!

I was ambling up the old roadbed that's now part of the Herman Creek Trail, about 1.5 miles from the trailhead, when I saw coming back down a fellow who looked rather forlorn. As we got closer, a spark of recognition hit. I saw the same in his eyes as we passed by each other. Turning, I say "Jack?", and he says "Kep?" And, well, this was the point at which the course of the remainder of the day changed altogether. It was a first for me - running into another regular from here out on the trail! :)

We chatted for awhile. Jack had suffered enough of an injury that he'd decided to call it a day and let Spitfire and Clark, the sprinters in his party, continue on to Green Point. But I guess he'd caught a second wind by this time, and certainly seemed in no mood to get off the trail, so he says he'll walk along with me for awhile so as not to hold me up. At first, he'd only go to the next junction. Then, it was the next cutoff. Finally, long-story short :) , we shifted into old-man-gear and completed the entire loop together, sharing "war stories" and whatnot all along! How cool is that?

"Group Shot" at the junction of Nick Eaton Trail (#447) and Deadwood Trail (#422).

This was my first trek up the Herman Creek drainage. The trails were in superb shape! There was just a bit of mud in the first quarter-mile or so, but otherwise it was just fantastic. Much of the way was softly cushioned with a carpet of fir needles and/or fallen leaves.

(Click any photo for a fullscreen enlargement.)

Looking up at a fog-shrouded Benson Plateau from the Herman Creek valley.

I come to learn that the Nick Eaton Trail is every bit as daunting as Defiance. Up, up, up! Definitely chose the right way to do this loop! Would've been really nasty (on the knees) coming down this way.

Rough approximation of the average slope on the Nick Eaton Trail. Most of the day, the sun was just over
the next ridge.

We hit a clearing at about 2400' that is the site of many glorious photos, looking downstream into the heart of the gorge, you've no doubt seen. This day, we had only just cracked out of the base layer of clouds.

The clearing was small, and the trail went straight back into the woods.

Benson Plateau emerging into the sun. We debate how quickly the clouds will burn off.
Interactive panorama.

Wandering about the clearing, there's one spot where Mt. St. Helens can be seen!

After another 1000' climb, to about 3400', we find a spot on the edge of a cliff with a few holes in the trees through which to focus. All day, I think we saw six other people; met two Mazamas here. My REI thermometer keyfob was registering 28°F at this point. Time for a fleece hat and gloves!

Dog Mountain across the Columbia. Satus area covered in snow in distance?

Across the next valley over to Mt. Defiance.

First good view of Mt. Adams we had.

At just over 4000', there was another actual-to-goodness clearing, where the sun was to be savored. The Mazama dudes were having lunch. Jack and I just enjoyed the view for a short while, as we soaked up a little warmth.

Tomlike Mountain across Herman Creek valley.

Very cool pancake rock formation that composed the clearing.

Hiking on in the shade through a mostly open forest, the trailsides covered in beargrass, the junction of the Gorton Creek Trail was our turnaround point.

Looking back down the Nick Eaton Trail, from where we had come.

Not a lot of melting going on up here! Ground cold-hard.

The descent down Gorton Creek Trail was mostly pleasant, in that it was very gradual. It was also perpetually shaded, which meant a few areas were a bit dicey. At one point, it seemed we were walking on permafrost - the trail was solid mixture of ice and frozen mud. At another, it was not only frozen but highly overgrown, and sloping steeply to the side. This is where we met one of the only other hikers we saw out on the trail all day. This stretch was short, though, and did offer a couple of chute views across the river!

Adams over Wind Mtn. (Didn't even bother trying to take this one in portrait mode!)

Bit more expansive view farther down. Grassy Knoll is the clearing at far left, and Little Huckleberry pokes
up halfway between that and Adams. Wind Mountain in foreground.

"Permafrost" on the trail through boulder field.

Well, we walked and talked and talked and walked, and pretty soon we hit the spur off to Indian Point. Jack was amazed, having been here before, at how beautifully well maintained this trail was! Apparently, it used to be incredibly easy to miss. This is certainly a "must-see" detour for this loop, but it is incredibly steep. My left knee was really feeling something that I must've done coming down Defiance last week. Painful descent! 600mg of Ibuprofen later, it was time to enjoy the vista! :) Half of the people we saw all day, that is 3 of 6, were here and just leaving as we arrived.

Indian Point

Wind, Dog, and Augspurger

Zoomed out a bit, looking all the way east up gorge.

Jack, it turns out ;), is a guy who likes to get maximum EG on any hike. So, seeing a chance to rack up the stats a bit more, away he goes!

Clearly no vertigo issues!

Capturing the views. Interactive panorama.

Not sure if this is an Indian Pit, or just a latter-day windbreak?

Where's Jack?

Parting shot of Mt. St. Helens from Indian Point. The viewports are narrow on this one!

As we put our packs back on, and were heading up and away from Indian Point, I noticed something I don't believe I've ever seen in the gorge before. Manzanita? That can't be native, can it?

Manzanita at Indian Point. One of a half-dozen shrubs.

We just coasted the rest of the way back to the trailhead, arriving there right around dusk. The forest was getting too dark to bother with more photos, beautiful as it was. Lots of old growth all about, and assorted other fungus and mossy things decorating the woods. All in all, it was just a really great day in the wilderness! Made all the better, of course, by the really good company of a new trail friend.

"But wait, there's more!" As we stowed our packs, changed into more comfortable shoes, found a good warm layer (it was dropping down into the low-30s again!), and so on... Who should come in off the trail but Spitfire and Clark! They are in seriously "Huh?!" mode seeing Jack there, having bid adieu 8+ hours prior. Introductions are made, and much good cheer ensues. What a fine cap to the day! :)

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=1987&w=645&h=440

Took the loop counter-clockwise. Click to zoom.

Final stats, 14.2 miles and about 4700' EG for me. Jack had a bit more. :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

mayhem

Re: Nick Eaton-Gorton Creek Loop, 25-Nov-2012

Post by mayhem » November 26th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Great TR !. Funny how an end to a hike can add 14 miles :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 27th, 2012, 6:59 am

mayhem wrote:Great TR !. Funny how an end to a hike can add 14 miles :)
Thanks! Yeah, there was still daylight! What other outcome could be expected? ;)
Karl

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 27th, 2012, 9:02 am

Great day for you guys. Excellent TR. Someday when I get to go hiking again I want to load up EP's mapset and give it a trial run in the Gorge.

Bonus that you got to meet Jack and hike with him! :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 27th, 2012, 9:47 am

That's a nice loop with some variety and a lot of sweat! Last time I was on the Gorton Creek Trail I ran into a mammy bear and her two cubs. I was too busy restraining my dog to take pictures, but the cubs ran around in confused circles while mammy looked like she would eat me up! Once she marshaled her offspring, they all bolted up to the ridge.

The hairy manzanita (Arctostaphylos columbiana) is a actually a west side plant, found from the coast to the Cascade crest. It grows on acidic soils on the edges of rocky forest openings. In the Gorge, I've seen it on Rudolph Spur, Ruckel Ridge, and the PCT coming down from the Benson.

Jack

Post by Jack » November 27th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Thanks Karl, for letting me resurrect my day by tagging along. As my pulled muscle loosened up a bit, my aborted Fun Sunday, with the others, turned into a fine hike with fine company, after all. It’s always fun to meet fellow PH’ers and this was no exception! Spitfire and Clark were thrilled to meet you, as well, at the TH. Glad you got to chat! Nice TR and pics as always!
St. Helens.JPG
Karl on the Indian Pt. ridge.JPG

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 27th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Crusak wrote:Great day for you guys. Excellent TR. Someday when I get to go hiking again I want to load up EP's mapset and give it a trial run in the Gorge.
Thanks! It really was a great day, in all regards. I have EP's mapset, NWTopos', and Garmin's all loaded on my GPS. On gorge hikes, EP's is the one in front. Great resource.
Crusak wrote:Bonus that you got to meet Jack and hike with him! :)
Definitely! I'm very accustomed to hiking alone, so it was different. But in a good way. :)

Plus, at the very end of the day, met Spitfire and Clark as well. Double-bonus!
bobcat wrote:That's a nice loop with some variety and a lot of sweat! Last time I was on the Gorton Creek Trail I ran into a mammy bear and her two cubs. I was too busy restraining my dog to take pictures, but the cubs ran around in confused circles while mammy looked like she would eat me up! Once she marshaled her offspring, they all bolted up to the ridge.
Heh, wow! Running into cubs always makes the heart skip a few beats, doesn't it? And with a dog to throw maximal confusion into the encounter? Yeah, I understand the lack of photos. :)
bobcat wrote:The hairy manzanita (Arctostaphylos columbiana) is a actually a west side plant, found from the coast to the Cascade crest. It grows on acidic soils on the edges of rocky forest openings. In the Gorge, I've seen it on Rudolph Spur, Ruckel Ridge, and the PCT coming down from the Benson.
Huh! I'll have to keep my eyes out, I guess. That said, the places you name are all ones still on my 'round tuit' list. I always think of that one as more southern Oregon and coastal. Indian Point certainly qualifies as the epitome of "rocky forest edge."
Jack wrote:Thanks Karl, for letting me resurrect my day by tagging along. As my pulled muscle loosened up a bit, my aborted Fun Sunday, with the others, turned into a fine hike with fine company, after all. It’s always fun to meet fellow PH’ers and this was no exception! Spitfire and Clark were thrilled to meet you, as well, at the TH. Glad you got to chat! Nice TR and pics as always!
St. Helens.JPG
Karl on the Indian Pt. ridge.JPG
Jack, it truly was my pleasure! Good company, and a lot learned -- how do you beat that? I'm just glad I didn't slow you down, too much. Your instincts were impressive. Still can't believe you saying, "they should be down anytime now," and next thing we know here come Spitfire and Clark in off the trail. As I said above, double-bonus. :)

Appreciate you tossing those pics in here, too! You did a great job of making me look (moderately) adventurous while you're the one perched atop the spire! :D
Karl

zee

Post by zee » November 28th, 2012, 7:41 am

The first stitched pano is awesome!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » November 28th, 2012, 11:31 am

zee wrote:The first stitched pano is awesome!
Appreciated! :)

But really, the (free) software does all the work. Highly recommended.
Karl

romann

Post by romann » November 30th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Beautiful hike - great views from there! I feel some vertigo just looking at Indian Point photos (not so much the total height but that final steep ascent)...

I saw manzanita once in other place in the Gorge (on Cedar Mountain, a small summit between Table and Hamilton), and fair number of it on drier E side of Badger Creek Wilderness.