Eagle Creek to 7.5 Mile Camp, 19-Oct-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Eagle Creek to 7.5 Mile Camp, 19-Oct-2012

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2012, 7:24 pm

So I was sitting in my robe with a cup of coffee yesterday, having already slept in a bit, wondering what in the heck to do with a free Friday. All I'd come up with so far was go shopping for some decent raingear. Had the day off, and the forecast seemed miserable. Browsing PH usually helps, so what better way to while away the coffee? I stumbled across this looned-up TR and by the time I'd hit the last page, I had the basis of a plan.

I hadn't been up Eagle Creek since the spring. It was a weekday. It was supposed to be raining. But the radar looked good. WTH? The gear was scattered after being on a month-long roadtrip, so between simply getting myself in gear, as well getting all that back together, it took awhile to hit the road. What was in the pack was all summer stuff. It seems winter hit while I was away. Ah well...

Got to the trailhead about 11:30; about 7 hours before sunset. Only plan is to go as far as feels good. It's not raining. (Okay, drizzle-misting, but it is winter, right? :)) So there's only 26 cars at the TH! A lot for many trails, yeah, but Eagle Creek? Things are looking better all the time.

Long story short, I had a blast! So glad I wasn't trudging around stores, real or online, looking for stuff to keep me dry when I had the option to get soaked on one of the most beautiful woodland trails in the county! And got the chance to do so in virtual solitude. I think I ran into fewer than 10 other groups/folks the entire way. Passing 7.5 Mile Camp, I looked at my watch for the first time. It was almost 4:00. Seemed time to do a U-Turn.

You've all seen Eagle Creek many times, no doubt, so I'll just post a few of my favorite shots and/or ones that show the current state of things. As an ongoing theme, the day was so dark that handheld shots were tough. Click any photo for a full screen-sized enlargement.

Metlako Falls. Big-leaf maples still turning yellow. No real reds yet. Colors still pre-peak. (1/5 sec.)

Clouds were a constant presence in the valley. Always changing. Glimpsed blue holes maybe twice.

Hard not to think of that other TR, and the icy cliffs, as all but a few were very wet.

Highbridge Falls. It's not the Midwest (where I just got back from), but it'll do. :)

Loowit Falls. And clouds to the valley floor.

The weather gave a reason to look up, instead of only gazing down at the creek.

Skoonichuck Falls. Easy to miss, unless you drop down into the campsite below Tenas Camp.

The one and only Vine maple daring enough to wear red this early in the season!

Reflections on a woodpecker hole fire scar.

Yeah, well, Minnesota and Wisconsin don't have Big-Leaf Maple, either.

"The Potholes" are just fascinating to me for some reason. Totally different view of columnar basalt.

Favorite Shot of the Day. Click to zoom, and see the raindrop bomb exploding on surface. (1/20 sec.)

And then there's the wildlife. Anyone missed these guys the last few months?

Yep, it's raining in here, too. Gonna pull out a flash light next time! Why?

Very cool moss wall along the Vertigo Mile.

Twister Falls. 'Nuf said.

A spot of dryness! Flash on all the folks you read about, huddling in wetness, spending the night lost.

Top of Sevenmile Falls. Little brown leaves trying their best to look red.

Darkness descending. Rain relentless. Decided I could make it sans headlamp...

16-odd miles later, a new avatar! That look like a guy in need of raingear?

So, again, a huge thanks to all the loons out there (you know who you are!) that inspired this day out in the rain! :D
Last edited by kepPNW on November 21st, 2013, 9:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kepPNW

Re: Eagle Creek to 7.5 Mile Camp, 19-Oct-2012

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2012, 7:28 pm

And a couple of videos along some of the cooler sections of trail, just to whet the appetite of anyone who's never been there. Definitely best viewed in 720p, directly on YouTube, because they seem to have really botched the downsampling after I uploaded them. (Probably because I was moving so much?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTED1QTHbFQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHU5eaLRtA

The rest of the photos...
Last edited by kepPNW on November 21st, 2013, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 20th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Dude, You are awesome. It really is interesting what TRs can do to ones mental state! CH, DN, Joerunner & Tom/Roy, Peder, & Guy have inspired me in more ways than I could ever have imagined!! Then the Loony sessions made it more real & more fun than should be allowed while hiking.

Keep on keeping on :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 20th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Nice TR and pictures. Eagle Creek is really an amazing place. Sounds like you had some solitude there too (by EC standards :) ) which is a bonus.

I remember that day when the loony hike took place - I was thinking about joining those guys, then decided a 30 mile hike was beyond my ability. :) I ended up doing an 11 mile Eagle Creek hike (fortunately I had my microspikes so I could walk over the icy spots)

Doing Eagle Creek on a weekday is a good choice. It's just so popular and weekends seem to attract a ton of hikers year-round. And thanks for sharing, and reminding me to get out there again before it all gets all iced up.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2012, 9:59 pm

mayhem wrote:Dude, You are awesome. It really is interesting what TRs can do to ones mental state! CH, DN, Joerunner & Tom/Roy, Peder, & Guy have inspired me in more ways than I could ever have imagined!! Then the Loony sessions made it more real & more fun than should be allowed while hiking.
Heh, I can only imagine, having only seen it second hand. One of these days, I hope I can change that. :D

This (above) is what I meant in that other thread, about the value of these boards! :lol:
Karl

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 20th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Crusak wrote:Nice TR and pictures. Eagle Creek is really an amazing place. Sounds like you had some solitude there too (by EC standards :) ) which is a bonus.

I remember that day when the loony hike took place - I was thinking about joining those guys, then decided a 30 mile hike was beyond my ability. :) I ended up doing an 11 mile Eagle Creek hike (fortunately I had my microspikes so I could walk over the icy spots)

Doing Eagle Creek on a weekday is a good choice. It's just so popular and weekends seem to attract a ton of hikers year-round. And thanks for sharing, and reminding me to get out there again before it all gets all iced up.
Yeah, and then they weenied out and only did a measly 22 miles or so, eh? :lol: (kidding!)

Yesterday was a great day. I tend to write-off that hike, too, because of all the talk of crowds. But I really gotta remember not to do that; just try to do it on a weekday when possible. It's just too beautiful not to.

I wondered, a lot, just how much microspikes would help on that icy basalt. If they'd really stick, or just slide across that stuff too when the ice wasn't so thick? I'll certainly have them along, if I get up there in any weather like that.

Appreciate the kind words! :)
Karl

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 21st, 2012, 6:13 am

Thanks, Karl - looking pretty good up there with fall colors! Might have to sneak up to Metlako in the next couple of weeks -- always a nice frame with bigleaf maples. Nothing better than a stream hike in the fall with nice, drippy clouds blowing by..! :D

No comment on the tunnel creepy-crawlies... :lol:

-Tom :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 21st, 2012, 8:14 am

kepPNW wrote:I wondered, a lot, just how much microspikes would help on that icy basalt. If they'd really stick, or just slide across that stuff too when the ice wasn't so thick? I'll certainly have them along, if I get up there in any weather like that.
I wasn't sure how well the microspikes would function when walking on ice, but I was able to easily walk over the ice-covered rock on the Eagle Creek trail while wearing them. The microspikes provided amazing traction! The footing felt very solid, and after a bit I realized I could confidently walk over icy surfaces when I had the microspikes on. I still grabbed the cable every now and then though. :lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2012, 10:16 am

Splintercat wrote:Thanks, Karl - looking pretty good up there with fall colors! Might have to sneak up to Metlako in the next couple of weeks -- always a nice frame with bigleaf maples. Nothing better than a stream hike in the fall with nice, drippy clouds blowing by..! :D
If you can sneak out of the office, man, go for it! I think the colors still have some room for improvement, too.

Cave creatures are intriguing. Weird to find out about them afterwards, though! ;)
Crusak wrote:I wasn't sure how well the microspikes would function when walking on ice, but I was able to easily walk over the ice-covered rock on the Eagle Creek trail while wearing them. The microspikes provided amazing traction! The footing felt very solid, and after a bit I realized I could confidently walk over icy surfaces when I had the microspikes on. I still grabbed the cable every now and then though. :lol:
That's really good to know! I bought a pair earlier this summer, hoping to put them to good use like that. :)
Karl

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 21st, 2012, 11:04 am

Raingear schmaingear! You just need a umbrella ;)