Elk Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest 9/9/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
forestkeeper

Elk Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest 9/9/12

Post by forestkeeper » September 12th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Hello all. Well, after leaving from the beaver chewed tree, I headed west to the Elk Creek Campground where multiple trails are located, such as the Wilson River, Elk Creek, Elk Mountain and Idiot Creek Trails. I chose the northbound section of the Elk Creek Trail, principally because it would be less likely used.
BeFunky_IMG_0696.jpg
Here's a photo of downstream Elk Creek from the cement bridge in the center of the campground. Much of the Wilson River and all of Gale Creek looks like this. It's pretty inviting just to do a river bed hike here.
BeFunky_IMG_0697.jpg
I tried to capture rain drop effects on some of these shallow pools of water, which with the naked eye appeared totally awesome, but my digital Canon 150IS had a hard time getting it down. I sure miss 35mm film cameras.
BeFunky_IMG_0706.jpg
The trail was perfect in width and the tread pretty smooth. The lushness of the Coast Range rain forests is very apparent here.
BeFunky_IMG_0703.jpg
BeFunky_IMG_0705.jpg
Winnie the Poo and Yogi the Bear would have loved the sight of this bees nest. First time I have ever saw one as nicely built as this one.
BeFunky_IMG_0709.jpg
Another Wiley Coyote den.
BeFunky_IMG_0716.jpg
Caught site of this old tree marker which read, " 5 Waste Area." Scoured around but didn't see anything. Possibly the Forest Service buried waste here during the days of the Great Tillamook Burns.
BeFunky_IMG_0719.jpg
Burnt marks are still found on a lot of old stumps, remnants and reminders of what fire can do to a complete ecosystem and outdoor civilization.
BeFunky_IMG_0728.jpg
Macro of a mini fern growing off of an old downed log.
BeFunky_IMG_0729.jpg
BeFunky_IMG_0746.jpg
I think this macro of the flowers is about the best of any of my photos. I love the small water droplets that are resting on each of those small petals.
BeFunky_IMG_0760.jpg
The intersection with Idiot Creek Trail.
BeFunky_IMG_0701.jpg
On many of the old stumps from the old growth forest of old, you can see the two plank indents where the timber fallers would stand to cut down the burnt stags from the Tillamook Burns. Just seeing how high they are above the ground gives a glimpse of how hard these men worked. Especially using 6 to 8 foot two man crosscut saws.

That is what excites me the most about hiking our woods. Exploring and sensing the history that awaits us from events, great and small, left for us to find.....if we are only willing to look. Well, I made it about 2 miles up the Elk Creek Trail, before turning around to make it to the Footbridge Trail before it got dark. Awesome trail! These trails of the Tillamook State Forest are my all time favorite. From Black Bear, Elk, Deer, Coyotes to an abundance of forest plants, these forests have it all.

FK

Crusak

Re: Elk Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest 9/9/12

Post by Crusak » September 12th, 2012, 6:01 pm

yay! Elk Creek is a fun trail for training, solitude, and connecting with other areas (the three-way intersection of Elk Mtn/Kings Mtn/Elk Creek). It's moderately challenging in the snow, too - gets 3' deep and more. I've been up it on snowshoes a few times and it is quite a workout.

Great pic of the bee hive. So based on your description of the hike, was it raining a little at the time you were up there?

Such a stark contrast between the water levels in the creeks in late summer and early spring. That is definitely wanting a creek bed exploration as you suggested. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 13th, 2012, 1:53 am

Yeah, it started sprinkling and heavy misting by the time I left Gales Creek. I mentioned creek bed hiking because there is s lot of exploring to be done in those areas too plus the workout is tremendous. Last month I hiked next to the Clackamas River for about 1/2 a mile and it was like being on a cross trainer at the gym. Lifting your legs constantly for different sized river rock/ boulders while keeping your balance is great conditioning as well as cardio. I would love to hike the complete Wilson River Trail someday, but probably would have to campout somewhere mid point. Can't wait to return. Now I know why you love this area so much. Me too! :) I'm anxious to find where that sink hole is. Will have to go back over some of your last year's TR's. I guess it will be better to wait till it's wet again.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 13th, 2012, 10:12 pm

ForestKeeper wrote:Yeah, it started sprinkling and heavy misting by the time I left Gales Creek. I mentioned creek bed hiking because there is s lot of exploring to be done in those areas too plus the workout is tremendous. Last month I hiked next to the Clackamas River for about 1/2 a mile and it was like being on a cross trainer at the gym. Lifting your legs constantly for different sized river rock/ boulders while keeping your balance is great conditioning as well as cardio. I would love to hike the complete Wilson River Trail someday, but probably would have to campout somewhere mid point. Can't wait to return. Now I know why you love this area so much. Me too! :) I'm anxious to find where that sink hole is. Will have to go back over some of your last year's TR's. I guess it will be better to wait till it's wet again.
The Sink Hole
Park at Kings Trail head then hike up to 4 way junction head east 5-10 minutes you will come to a meadow with sink hole. But even before that vist the mini-Stonehenge & ant hills just off trail a couple hundred feet North of the trail & maybe a 1,000 feet before sinkhole.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!