Under the Wilson River Bridge/ Hwy 6/ Tillamook State Forest

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
forestkeeper

Under the Wilson River Bridge/ Hwy 6/ Tillamook State Forest

Post by forestkeeper » September 11th, 2012, 10:02 am

Hello all. After leaving the Gale Creek Trail, I wanted to check out this gated FS road just past the Wilson River Bridge, heading west. I'm sure glad it was still in the morning hours. Stopping in the middle of Hwy 6, then backing up onto a small spur road is quite the challenge with all the cars that zoom by at incredible speeds. But, with the Good Lord's help, not a single vehicle came by as I backed my sedan up to the old gate.
BeFunky_IMG_0685.jpg
A pretty nice view of the Storey Burn mountain. It's not really called that, but I couldn't find it on the Tillamook State Forest map.
BeFunky_IMG_0687.jpg
I found out that this is an OHV road. But it was pretty scenic nonetheless. I did hear a lot of dirt bikes not to far away. Most likely they were camped at Roger's Camp.
BeFunky_IMG_0688.jpg
Encountered this old building halfway down the hill.
BeFunky_IMG_0690.jpg
The beautiful Wilson River.
BeFunky_IMG_0691.jpg
This is the first time that I have actually seen fresh beaver chaw marks. I really wanted to get a closeup of this tree, but decided not to so I wouldn't disturb that beaver's habitat.
BeFunky_IMG_0693.jpg
This is where I noticed I was hiking on an OHV road. I also noticed while I was making this TR, the Storey Trail and Roger's Trail both come down to this area underneath the bridge. This would be a super hike when there's no OHV's around. Can't wait till I return. Maybe I'll see more beaver. :D

FK

Peder

Re: Under the Wilson River Bridge/ Hwy 6/ Tillamook State Fo

Post by Peder » September 11th, 2012, 4:12 pm

This is the first time that I have actually seen fresh beaver chaw marks. I really wanted to get a closeup of this tree, but decided not to so I wouldn't disturb that beaver's habitat.
I'm not sure that I would be quite that saintly; but I sure do appreciate that you endeavor to leave the wildlife alone. I have been planning to visit the Gales Creek area (on a rainy day) for a while now. Maybe this winter...

Thank you for being so considerate. :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » September 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm

Sounds like a mini expedition.I am one of those from the dark side dirt bike rider have not done it for years its surprisingly more of a work out than you would ever think I had to retire strictly road bikes now that area offers some fine ridding.

your right about the speed people travel on 6 down there ,one Monday I parked at the kings mt trail wanted to do the the loop minus the three plus miles of the Wilson river trail connecting the kings and elk trail heads I made a sign elks mt trail head 3 miles need a ride and waited stood on hwy 6 in a drizzle. The cars flew by at at least close to 70.

Then I hear a tractor trailer coming he locks his brakes on the wet payment his trailer goes side to side had a car come west bound wow . He stops right in the middle of the road stunned I just stand there an arm waves out the window. I jog up jump in nice guy stops again right in the road and lets me out.

I was glad to be off that road.

thanks for sharing forest keeper I agree with Peder ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Peabody

Post by Peabody » September 11th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Am I the only one that sees a dog in the beaver tree picture?
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » September 12th, 2012, 2:33 am

:lol: Does kind of look like a Snoopy nose doesn't it?

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » September 12th, 2012, 6:37 am

Peabody wrote:Am I the only one that sees a dog in the beaver tree picture?
I can see it now lol
Hi!