Gale Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
forestkeeper

Gale Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest

Post by forestkeeper » September 11th, 2012, 9:19 am

Hello all,

Checked out the Gale Creek Trail Sunday. Incidentally, Thursday night, I heard the most awesome sounds that I can ever remember. I deliver dry and frozen groceries, for Fred Meyer, to the Tillamook store, three times a week. And I take my lunch and breaks, on the way back, at the Summit Coast Range off of Hwy 6. Well, Thursday night, about 10:30 pm, as I was sitting there in my Fred Meyer semi, chomping down Cliff Bars, peaches and a turkey sandwich, a single coyote pup walks in front of my tractor. So, instinctively, I flick on the headlights. That poor little pup stopped dead in his tracks, turned his little head my way, then his mouth dropped open and he dashed to the woods near the Summit TH. I tried to coax him back out by putting some turkey sandwich tidbits near the mouth of the Summit Trail, but he never reemerged. But about 20 minutes later, a coyote that was about 40 yards NW of my location, let out a wonderful call, followed by two barks. Then, seconds later, another coyote that was maybe a mile or so to the east, let out a faint howl. The two talked to each other with their howls and barking for a good 45 minutes. Being that close and hearing the howls and barking gave me a remarkable feeling of being in the wild.
BeFunky_IMG_0684.jpg
I arrived at the Gale Creek TH around 7:30am and the weather was still dry but a bit chilly. It was cloudy and rain was forecasted so I dunned by rain coat in case it got wet. This was the first time I have been on this trail. But I wanted to check it out to see if I could spot any wildlife, ie. bears, coyotes, elk, oh my.
BeFunky_IMG_0644.jpg
The trail was a little steep at first with a couple of switchbacks, but it quickly leveled off to an easy uphill grade to the summit. A modest couple of miles but the trail was awesome. Overgrown in a few spots, but with all the rich colors of green, it gave you a sense of walking through a lush jungle. Here's a small coyote den just a few feet from the trail.
BeFunky_IMG_0641.jpg
BeFunky_IMG_0652.jpg
BeFunky_IMG_0660.jpg
The trees are majestic and appear untouched. After doing most of my hiking and trail work in the Clackamas River District, it was like hiking through a Land of the Lost. I could have imagined hear the sound of dinosaurs in the distance.
BeFunky_IMG_0658.jpg
Even the Oregon Grape is big and lush here in the Tillamook Forest.
BeFunky_IMG_0671.jpg
This was across the Low Divide Creek. What a setting! If I were only 25 years younger. Appears to be an awesome place to be romantic. Have a picnic on one of those red and white checkered picnic sheets. Have one of the old fashioned wicker picnic baskets filled with Cliff Bars. Wow! ;)
BeFunky_IMG_0675.jpg
Encountered this very fresh "something" poop. Maybe Crusak, Mayhem or others can identify it. Too runny to be bear scat, cougars bury their poop, coyote and wolves look similar to domestic dog doo doo. Maybe a chipmunk ate too many nuts and had the runs. Well, it was just a few minutes old. Still steaming and had a lot of flies getting their feet dirty.
BeFunky_IMG_0679.jpg
Not sure what this is either. Pretty big red berry though. This trail was really nice to hike on. It is a bike and hike trail and there were a few bike tire ruts throughout. But if you want solitude, this is a nice trail to hike.

FK

Crusak

Re: Gale Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest

Post by Crusak » September 11th, 2012, 6:49 pm

I've only hike Gales Creek in... (wait, checking my 2011 hiking log) February 2011, and the conditions were awful. I did a full superman forward slip/dive/face plant fall in the mud not 100 yds down the trail :lol:

I'm not an expert on poop, but that mystery pile looks more like bear than anything else. I don't know though. I've seen those red berries before on the Coast Range. Dunno what they are either. haha I'm not much help.

I absolutely love Coast Range hikes off Hwy 6. It's such a magical area, just like you described. Last year I did more hiking up there, and got to see the full change of seasons - winter, spring, summer and fall. Outstanding! And I can't get enough.

Thanks for sharing your trip and pictures. Looks much nicer in late summer than in February! ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Re: Gale Creek Trail/ Tillamook State Forest

Post by kepPNW » September 11th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Haven't been there forever. Beautiful. We camped in that area on May 17-18, 1980. News traveled slowly in those days. I remember hearing "Yeah, it killed someone" about noon that Sunday.

I've seen piles not too dissimilar to that left by the deer under our plum trees, after they've gorged themselves. Maybe not quite that dark, but I suppose "that's the fruit talkin'"?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...