Ape Cave, Mt. St. Helens

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Ape Cave, Mt. St. Helens

Post by bobcat » September 9th, 2012, 3:01 pm

I had never been able to convince anyone to do the whole of Ape Cave with me, but finally my son indicated an interest and we went up there on this weekend. We got there early and so managed to avoid the crowds in the Lower Cave. Disclaimer: A certain human appears in most of the photos for two reasons (a) I have been informed that a Facebook posting of an event requires at least 50 photos of self, and (b) For many pictures, I needed Jake to hold up the lantern so the camera could focus on something.
Jake, Lower Entrance, Ape Cave.jpg
We each had headlamps, but I also rented, for $5, a Coleman lantern at the Ape’s Headquarters. This was better than bringing our own because theirs have a wire mesh protecting the mantles, while ours has glass (One tap on sharp lava and it’s smashed). We also wore layers (42° in the cave and 85° without) and fingerless leather bicycle gloves.

The Lower Cave was relatively unpopulated early in the day. The tread here is easy and the lava tube spacious at first and then narrowing at the lava boulder known as the “Meatball.” Jake insisted that we explore every nook and cranny, so we wriggled down the final yards of the Lower Cave on our bellies until we got to the spot where only the Green Slime could ooze through. This is the point where lahar from a St. Helens eruption about 450 years ago plugged the 2,000-year-old lava tube.
Lower Cave.jpg
The Meatball, Lower Cave.jpg
Upper and lower decks, Lower Cave, Ape Cave.jpg
We then continued through to the Upper Cave. Here there are a number of “breakdowns”, or ceiling collapses of jagged lava that need to be clambered over. There are also at least three lava “falls,” one of which is eight feet high and needs to be climbed. A 90-foot wide “room” at the lower end of the Upper Cave is the most spacious area in the tube. We crawled into a couple of side passages and posed under the “skylight.”
Looking for evidence of trolls, Upper Cave, Ape Cave.jpg
Breakdown, Upper Cave.jpg
Lava falls, Upper Cave.jpg
Skylight, Upper Cave.jpg
Beyond the second skylight, which is the upper exit of the cave, the cave floor is paved with a solidified lava flow. There’s one more big breakdown to negotiate and then the end: unfortunately this has become a canvas for vandal scratchings.
On the breakdown, north end, Upper Cave, Ape Cave.jpg
Lavacicles, north end, Upper Cave.jpg
Vandalism, north end, Upper Cave, Ape Cave.jpg
We searched assiduously for cave life and found a couple of creatures: a tiny grylloblattid, a kind of insect that lives in caves and at the tops of mountains, and a flurry of fungus gnats, whose larvae feed on the white fungus seen coating the upper walls of the tube.
Grylloblattid, Lower Cave, Ape Cave.jpg
Pointing at a fungus gnat, Upper Cave, Ape Cave.jpg
By the time we got to it, the Upper Cave was more crowded than the Lower Cave (Both parking lots filled up). An interesting cross-section of humanity was exploring, much more diverse than noted on the regular old hiking trail. Small children should stay out of the Upper Cave, but there were some parents struggling along with their tots on the jagged lava. Dogs are not permitted, yet we noted one Boston terrier. Food is also forbidden, but energy bar wrappers and discarded water bottles appeared at regular intervals.

It was a dirty, exquisitely clawing, squirming, and scrambling time. About five miles total, the underground section taking four hours.

Note: Signs at Ape’s Headquarters say this is the longest lava tube in the Western Hemisphere. I checked and that is a little bit off:
The longest lava tube in the Western Hemisphere is the Ferrocarril-Mina Inferior in Mexico at 3.85 miles.
The longest lava tube in the world is the Kazumura Cave in Hawaii at 40.7 miles (Sixteen of the world’s 30 longest lava tubes are in Hawaii).
The longest lava tube in the continental U.S. is the Deadhorse Cave, home of the “Masochist Maze”, near Mt. Adams, Washington at 2.74 miles.
At 2.5 miles, Ape Cave ranks 30th in the world, 19th in the U.S., 5th in the Western Hemisphere, and 3rd in the continental U.S.

hlee

Re: Ape Cave, Mt. St. Helens

Post by hlee » September 9th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Cool to see your pictures. A friend and I went there and started to go down the upper cave, but we were pretty unprepared. I had a flashlight, but didn't what the batteries were like. So we poked around a little bit, but went back. I want to go back, but it's such a drive that I keep putting it off.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Peder

Post by Peder » September 9th, 2012, 8:02 pm

bobcat wrote:Disclaimer: A certain human appears in most of the photos for two reasons (a) I have been informed that a Facebook posting of an event requires at least 50 photos of self, and (b) For many pictures, I needed Jake to hold up the lantern so the camera could focus on something.
:lol: :lol: So true! Maybe Jake also has a future with the Loonies... their trip reports also require lots of (self) portraits.

Renting a lantern (that is only possible between Memorial and Labor Day) is an excellent investment, as it gives off a lot more light than headlamps.

What a shame with the graffiti. :( That was not there two years ago when I last came through with my son.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » September 9th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Is that a Bobcat sighting in the cave?

I love the pictures of the cave dwelling insects, that's amazing. Too bad about the graffiti. :x My girlfriend and I were up there earlier this year and I dont remember it being there, but maybe we missed it.

Roy

Post by Roy » September 9th, 2012, 11:26 pm

That is a great tr and great photos of the cave.

There are lava tubes all over that area my friend was a volunteer climbing ranger on monitor ridge in the late eighties. Things were done a lot different then. Some forest service employees showed him some caves northwest of the Ape cave no real roads no trials. He took me to one that had a straight drop down at the entrance and it was long super narrow not like the ape caves pretty creepy but fun. He said he knew of four more but this was his favorite . It was a least a mile walk after an abandoned road with no trail but there were blazes on the trees .

Nice to to see you out with your son looks like a great day and thanks for sharing not many Ape cave trs!
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » September 10th, 2012, 8:27 am

I've been wanting to get in and check these out. I should still have some time this year, I'll see if the GF wants to go "spelunking" soon =).

Nice TR!
Hi!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 11th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Roy wrote:That is a great tr and great photos of the cave.
Agreed! Must've been a very powerful flash. Been twenty+ years since I've done that, but I sure don't remember getting that much light in my shots. It's like that basalt just absorbs whatever your flash puts out. Nice to see, bobcat!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

romann

Post by romann » September 11th, 2012, 9:30 pm

I like the Ape Cave, it's very interesting to explore and also a cool place on a hot summer day. Haven't been there for a while, thanks for sharing!