9/2/12 PCT South to Wood Lake in Indian Heaven & Sawtooth Mt

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

9/2/12 PCT South to Wood Lake in Indian Heaven & Sawtooth Mt

Post by mileagemike25000 » September 4th, 2012, 7:08 pm

We were obviously not the only ones to think of Indian Heaven on this beautiful day. All I can say is that this was the busiest I have ever seen a TH at an Indian Heaven trail! :( We came around the corner at the north end, of Indian Heaven, where the PCT intersects Twin Buttes Rd.

We saw the sign first,
1 North End of Indian Heaven at PCT_(1).JPG
And then noticed all the cars parked along the road! :o
2 Cars parked from Hucklberry pickers_(1).JPG
Don't let my ultra wide angle picture fool you. There were also 4 cars parked in an open lot across the road from the big sign. There were also PCT Trail Angels parked in this lot with an RV in tow. Four PCT through hikers (two groups) were leaving when we were getting ready to start our hike. A woman was taking down her camp to meet her fiance, who had been completing the hike alone. She also pointed to a mom and her 9 year old daughter that were on the trail! :shock: Evidently, the mom was home schooling her daughter on the trail. :? By the way, the little girl was carrying all her own backpack and supplies (I hope I got this story right?). We also saw at least 1/2 dozen trucks/cars drive by before we started the hike.

After a 1-1/4 miles we reached the Wilderness Boundary sign.
3 Indian Heaven Wilderness Boundary_(1).JPG
Shortly into the wilderness we came upon two men on horseback with a total of 4 horses between them. They also had two dogs following them. They were headed for Snoqualmie pass.
4 Two men with 4 horses and 2 dogs_(1).JPG
It wasn't long before we bumped into our first PCT through hiker "Mufasa". We talked for a short bit and we wished him good luck!
5 PCT Hiker  Mufasa_(1).JPG
We met seven other PCT through hikers but didn't bother with pictures or taking time away from the hike. We also saw three other groups of people on the way to Wood Lake. We soon reached the lake trail intersection and turned right to go there.
6 Wood Lake Intersection_(1).JPG
On the way to Wood Lake we saw a beautiful unnamed lake. :)
7 Unnamed lake along the way_(1).JPG
And then we finally reached Wood Lake with a breathtaking view!
8 Wood Lake!_(1).JPG
We turned around and headed back toward our car but decided to head up the Sawtooth Mt. trail. I wasn't sure what to expect but was astonished by the fantastic views from this trail! :D

The views of Sawtooth Mt. and Mt. Adams were amazing!
9 Sawtooth Mt & Mt Adams_(1).JPG
And looking back as we ascended up the switchbacks we knew this was really HEAVEN!
10 Looking back from Sawtooth Mt. Trail - It really is HEAVEN!_(1).JPG
The trail went from facing east to a view that faced west towards Mt. St. Helens! :o
11 HDR picture of Mt. St. Helens View_(1).JPG
This is an HDR (high dynamic range) picture which is why the sun looks strange after the camera merges the 3 pictures together (for anyone interested?).
And one last view of Mt. Adams from the Sawtooth Mt. trail.
12 Another View of Mt. Adams from Sawtooth Mt. Trail_(1).JPG
An added bonus was that there were no hikers on the Sawtooth Mt. trail and also Huckleberries on many plants! :D

Along the way back we stopped to assess some trail art? :? It appears to be 2222.22 miles from the PCT TH near the Mexico border? I'm glad we took a picture as they are all geotagged.
13 Art on the trail - What does it mean_(1).JPG
When we got back to the TH the Trail Angels were still there but not any hikers!

The total mileage was 10.0miles with about 1650ft of elevation gain.
PCT south into Indian Heaven.JPG

Crusak

Re: 9/2/12 PCT South to Wood Lake in Indian Heaven & Sawtoot

Post by Crusak » September 4th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Super nice views from up on Sawtooth Mt trail! I think the area immediately around Wood Lake is one of the few parts of Indian Heaven that I haven't been to (that... and the Racetrack area). Connecting with the Sawtooth Trail sounds like a great hike. And Wood Lake looks very inviting. Do you recall seeing campsites/campers around the lake?

I was surprised by how many large groups of backpackers I saw leaving Indian Heaven on Sunday. Probably trying to beat the holiday crowd driving home on Monday, I guess.

Thanks for the TR and info.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mileagemike25000

Re: 9/2/12 PCT South to Wood Lake in Indian Heaven & Sawtoot

Post by mileagemike25000 » September 5th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Thanks Jim - The Sawtooth Mt. trail views were excellent and is much more amazing in person. I did look for a spur trail to the summit but didn't see any?

Once we made the turn toward Wood Lake we only saw one camper and their tent was near the unnamed lake I referred to. We saw a hiking couple while at Wood Lake but there were no tents in sight! :D Once we turned around we met another couple that was intending on staying there for the night. They indicated they had left Junction Lake and a couple others due to the large number of people. :o

As we veered off the PCT onto the Sawtooth Mt. trail we never saw another hiker during the remainder of the hike! In fact, all the cars were gone and only the Trail Angels were still there. This really workded for us. :D