McIntyre Ridge - Aug. 20, 2012: Leonard McIntyre comes home

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
chmcintyre

McIntyre Ridge - Aug. 20, 2012: Leonard McIntyre comes home

Post by chmcintyre » August 20th, 2012, 6:36 pm

I hiked the ridge for the first time today with my son, youngest daughter and granddaughter. After checking the Oregon Mortuary and Cemetary Board and finding no restrictions or permissions needed to scatter cremated remains we took the ashes of my father, Leonard McIntyre, to rest in this beautiful place named for his family.

My father passed away at the age of 92 on April 22, 2011. He was the grandson of John T. and Winnefred McIntyre, for whom the ridge is named. Winnefred was the first post mistress of the Brightwood Post Office and was known as the Huckleberry Queen since she knew all the best places to find that delicious fruit. Leonard's father, Ora Glenn (he preferred O.G.) had a number of logging operations on Mount Hood, so the family remained in the area until my father went to serve in WWII.

Dad had a mild heart attack on August 20, 2010; he was 91 and living in his own home taking care of his wife who had Alzheimer's. While he was in the hospital a number of staff told Dad how much they loved hiking the ridge. A week after his 92nd birthday, Dad had a massive stroke. He fought his way back and lived another five months, passing peacefully in the little apartment he and his wife had moved to, surrounded by those who loved him.

Although I have hiked numerous trails on Mount Hood and was even married in the saddle, I had never hiked this trail. When the mortuary called saying that Dad's ashes would not all fit in the urn (he was a big man!), we knew, since he scattered the remains of his third wife, Catherine, near the family homestead in Brightwood, he would love the idea of a family hike to McIntyre Ridge to do the same thing for him. I wanted to wait until his great granddaughter could make the trip (with significant help from mommy) so the second anniversary of his first heart attack seemed fitting.

It was a beautiful day and I am very greatful to the wonderful directions provided by Tom Kloster (Splintercat). Thanks to those directions, getting to the trailhead was very easy and his description of the trail and hike wre spot on. As mentioned in his post of July, the presence of ATV's is left behind about half a mile into the trail and what is left is simply lovely and I know I will return to this trail again.
Attachments
Dad 92.jpg
Leonard McIntyre - 92nd Birthday

Splintercat

Re: McIntyre Ridge - Aug. 20, 2012: Leonard McIntyre comes h

Post by Splintercat » August 20th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Thanks for posting! What a wonderful history of the area -- and what a wonderful place to honor your dad! This is the first history I've seen explaining who the ridge was named for. My edition of Oregon Geographic Names doesn't include McIntyre Ridge, so with you permission, I'd like to include the historical information in the second paragraph of your post in the Portland Hikers Field Guide.

It was also great to read your post on a personal level: this week I'll be headed up to another spot on the mountain with my brother-in-law to scatter the remains of his beloved grandparents, who we were very close to. They truly loved the mountain, and asked to be scattered there. Like your dad, they lived remarkable lives into their 90s, and were truly inspiring to all who knew them!

Tom :)

hlee

Post by hlee » August 20th, 2012, 7:24 pm

RIP to your father, first off. He sounds like a great man, taking care of his wife with Alzheimer's... that is tough! And at 91, I can't imagine. May I have half the stamina if I live to see that age.

To echo Tom's remarks, the history of McIntyre Ridge that you mention here is very interesting to read, both just from a general historical perspective, and on a personal level. I'll probably think of this post anytime I should see McIntyre Ridge on a map or anywhere.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

chmcintyre

Post by chmcintyre » August 20th, 2012, 7:58 pm

I know my father would be delighted to have the information included, so please feel free to use it. He moved away from Oregon for quite a spell; when he returned we were living in Sandy and he moved into a little cottage we had on the property. He quickly became reacquainted with his family history and loved to tell stories to all that would listen. Fortunately he had grandchildren that were interested, so there's lots more history where that came from with a recorded interview and multiple old family pictures with the actual names of the people in them!

Thank you again, Tom, for the wonderful directions for finding the trailhead. I hope the weather cooperates for your journey this weekend. I can think of no better way to honor some one you loved and have lost.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » August 20th, 2012, 8:29 pm

My deepest sympathy for the loss of your father. Please know that this ridge, named after the McIntyre family, has shown us spectacular views and solitude, away from the hectic pace of day to day living! I can think of no better place to spread the ashes of a loved one! Thank you!
Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness from McIntyre Ridge.jpg

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » August 20th, 2012, 8:53 pm

touching - and a wonderful tribute - having lost my father recently this really hit home. Thank you for sharing this story.
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 20th, 2012, 11:21 pm

What a wonderful way to honor your father! A truly touching account--thank you for sharing!

Tom, my sympathies!

er0ck

Post by er0ck » August 21st, 2012, 2:22 pm

thank you for sharing! i've been up on this ridge several times, and i now have more personal details to link to an area i love and respect as best i can.
bad knees rules everything around me.

chmcintyre

Post by chmcintyre » August 21st, 2012, 7:48 pm

I can sense my father's pleasure in the joy you've shared regarding this beautiful area! Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 21st, 2012, 8:49 pm

Hello CH,
Please take a look at the second paragraph that I added to the PH.org Field Guide, and let me know if you'd like anything edited -- I opted to include Leonard in the history, but can delete if you're not okay with that:

McIntyre Ridge Hike

You can post any edits here, or send me an e-mail. Thanks!

Tom