New Beginnings! Wilson River mini-loony hike, 08/11/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Crusak

New Beginnings! Wilson River mini-loony hike, 08/11/12

Post by Crusak » August 12th, 2012, 9:14 am

This hike doesn't come close to comparing with the real 'loony' hikes posted on Portland Hikers, but at my current fitness level and all it was a tough hike.

I've hiked this trail a zillion times, and most of the time I don't post a TR. But yesterday was a special day, because it was the first time in three years that I completed a long hike without wearing that %^&*$# knee brace. And I liked it. :) I'm very glad to finally reach the point where I can leave the knee brace at home. I didn't feel any problems at all with my knee yesterday, thankfully.

I parked at the Kings Mtn trailhead and hiked west over the Wilson River Trail to the Tillamook Forestry Center. The trail is still in great shape, but I saw several spots that showed signs of damage from the equestrian traffic. The afternoon got really warm, and I ended up with massive heat rash under my pack straps.

Overall stats: 16.6 miles, 3549 ft EG, and 2.35 mph moving pace. (Compare that to Mayhem's 51 miles and 3.7 mph pace on the same trail a couple of days ago... :o )

Here's my gpsfly track:
http://gpsfly.org/a/1725

And some pictures.
foxglove.jpg
mist over the valley.jpg
Diamond Mill Bridge.jpg
crusak at Jones Creek.jpg
bridge at the TFC.jpg
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Chase

Re: New Beginnings! Wilson River mini-loony hike, 08/11/12

Post by Chase » August 12th, 2012, 10:01 am

I admire your perseverance. I could see many people just giving up, letting themselves go once they had an injury. No the Cruz, though!

Awesome job!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 12th, 2012, 10:48 am

Congratulations Jim!

May there be many more hikes in your future.

Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » August 12th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Congrats on not needing a brace for hiking, I can imagine how 'free' that must feel. Great shot of the Foxglove with the blurred trees in the background. Judging by your photo with the sign, you must be freakishly tall, my head is no where near that sign and I'm 5'10".
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 12th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Chase wrote:I admire your perseverance. I could see many people just giving up, letting themselves go once they had an injury. Not the Cruz, though!
Awesome job!
Born2BBrad wrote:Congratulations Jim! May there be many more hikes in your future.
Brad
Thanks guys. It's been an interesting couple years. Waiting 16 yrs to finally have an ACL reconstruction surgery in 2010, then surprise! double-hernia surgery this past January. I'm just glad to be able to get out and hike. At one time last year I had aspirations to be like Mayhem, Eric, Don Nelsen, and the rest of the loonies. But I'm just taking it one step at a time now. Like I've written elsewhere: Find a trail. Take a step with your left foot. Now the right foot. Repeat this sequence. Look, you're hiking! :)
BrianEdwards wrote:Congrats on not needing a brace for hiking, I can imagine how 'free' that must feel. Great shot of the Foxglove with the blurred trees in the background. Judging by your photo with the sign, you must be freakishly tall, my head is no where near that sign and I'm 5'10".
I'm 6'5" tall and about 225 lbs. But Chase and Eric Peterson are about the same height, or taller. I think I weigh more than they do, though. Heck, we're 3/5 of a starting lineup for a basketball team. :)

LOL I used to make excuses about slow hiking, like "out of shape" or "getting old" or "being so big" but several Portland Hikers members have shot those excuses to pieces. Such an inspiring group. (Crusak has a lot of work to do still!)

BTW I am seriously close to being ready for a Keenig Creek to Elk Creek hike - maybe next month? Once the weather cools down a smidgen. ;) If anyone wants to join me on that, when the time comes.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

hlee

Post by hlee » August 12th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Congrats on getting the brace off! Did you ceremoniously burn it with fire? Must feel very free!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

pdxnewbie

Post by pdxnewbie » August 12th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Congratulation, think you are on the way to join the looney gang :lol:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 12th, 2012, 5:37 pm

Congratulations, Cruz - I think I know how you must feel about now! Nice report and great effort. I don't get out to that area very often but your report and Mayhem's recent gonzo TR are starting to tempt me.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 12th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Great Job Crus!!
Crusak wrote: I'm just glad to be able to get out and hike. At one time last year I had aspirations to be like Mayhem, Eric, Don Nelsen, and the rest of the loonies.
I want to be like EP again too! Cement legs has come to pay me a visit with weird cramping
on the last few hikes making it hard to get up any hills!
Crusak wrote: BTW I am seriously close to being ready for a Keenig Creek to Elk Creek hike - maybe next month? Once the weather cools down a smidgen. ;) If anyone wants to join me on that, when the time comes.
Count me in man! We can compare height again since we are about the same height and I'm just a
hair under 6'4'' but you could have had a late growth spurt? :D

Chase is like 2'' shorter than me though, I think he's about 6'1'' or 6'2''

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Crusak wrote: BTW I am seriously close to being ready for a Keenig Creek to Elk Creek hike - maybe next month? Once the weather cools down a smidgen. ;) If anyone wants to join me on that, when the time comes.
Count me in Crusak! Or do like my other bestest TFFs & schedule it on a Sunday to make sure I cannot join in the WRT party march!! Whoooohooo Bammmm!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!