South Sister Summit from Devil's Lake - 8/4/2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

South Sister Summit from Devil's Lake - 8/4/2012

Post by payslee » August 6th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

payslee

Re: South Sister Summit from Devil's Lake - 8/4/2012

Post by payslee » August 6th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcds

Post by mcds » August 6th, 2012, 12:29 pm

i can't help with the flower names, sorry, but i bet bobcat could ID them with his eyes closed :)

nice TR and great photos. thanks for the campground tip and for posting the pic of Moraine Lake, i've been wondering if it has fully melted out. Teardrop Pool forms within the crater itself. Did you notice if it has started to melt out? (fwiw the teardrop in your annotation likely is Lewis Glacier Tarn if i'm not mistaken. many teardrop pool pics on the web are actually pics of lewis tarn).

payslee

Post by payslee » August 6th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcds

Post by mcds » August 6th, 2012, 1:22 pm

you is soooo bad :)

I have the same compunctions regarding the east-side 'No-Name' tarn on broken top ... it's the Crook Glacier Tarn, whereas nearly all sources including recent USGS maps mistakenly refer to it as Bend Glacier Tarn. Crook faces east. Bend Glacier faces north, and there is a different, tiny tarn at the bottom of Bend that collects it's meltwater and rain.

Whether Teardrop Pool is lake or a tarn, I couldn't say, probably not a tarn since it is not contained in the depression created by a glacier's terminal end, as in the lewis and crook tarns.

given the unpleasantness of hours of loose scree that you mentioned, i'm waiting for teardrop to form before trying to summit ... missed it two summers ago, and it never formed last summer ... maybe this will be the year.

do you know if it is it legal to biv overnight on the summit?

payslee

Post by payslee » August 6th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 6th, 2012, 3:00 pm

payslee wrote:This is one of the most well-known hikes in Oregon, despite its challenges, so I'll skip most of the route description.
Looks wonderful!!!

For someone who's only just getting back into it, is this roughly the route you took? Any guesses on total mileage?
Capture.jpg
(Funny how the most well-known things are sometimes the harder ones to find info on!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

payslee

Post by payslee » August 6th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcds

Post by mcds » August 6th, 2012, 3:20 pm

payslee wrote:
Well, the Lewis Glacier is likely not long for this world. This photo is the Lewis Glacier schrund, open already and looking to me not more than 30 feet or so from surface to bare rock. Probably gets thicker near the bottom of the bowl, but this will be a snowfield too, soon. Maybe then we'll get to name the lake.
attachment IMG_2205.jpg attachment
-payslee
this website has terrific historic photos of Lewis Glacier etc ...

http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/cgi-bin/gdftp ... ool=phrase

and this page documents a bit of history of naming Crater, Crook and Bend Glaciers on Broken Top

http://glaciers.research.pdx.edu/glaciers-oregon

thanks for the summit biv info. at just over 10k elev, probably won't get too much sleep unless first overnighting at moraine lake, or higher up. it'd be for the stars, sunset and sunrise ....

deanpdx

Post by deanpdx » August 6th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures! I will try to summit for the 3rd year in a row the first or second week of September... hopefully, the weather gnomes will be kind this year.