Salmon Mountain

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Salmon Mountain

Post by bobcat » July 31st, 2012, 8:44 am

I kept my summer streak alive on Sunday: some drizzle on the way to the Old Baldy Trailhead on FR 4610 (Abbott Road) and then much cloudiness through the middle of the day. From the trailhead, I entered the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness and took a right on the Plaza Trail, soon walking past the stone fireplace of the old Plaza Guard Station (erected c. 1910; decommissioned I’m not sure when). The station sat in the middle of the Plaza, a flat area on this high ridge separating the Roaring River and Salmon River drainages. The second major stop was Sheepshead Rock, the high point on this ridge walk. There were no mountain views on the way in, but things had cleared up on the way back for clear vistas to St. Helens, Adams, and Hood.
Fireplace, Plaza Guard Station, Plaza Trail.jpg
Mt. Hood from Sheepshead Rock, Plaza Trail.jpg
Past Sheepshead Rock, the trail makes a lengthy traverse in shady woods of silver fir, noble fir, mountain hemlock, and Douglas-fir. Unfortunately, a dirt bike had also made its way through this part of the wilderness (I’ve reported the matter to the Zigzag Ranger District). There are a number of boggy seeps to cross, all cloaked by dense patches of Sitka alder, devil’s club, salmonberry, false bugbane, and thimbleberry. These lush thickets support various species of moisture-loving wildflowers. I even snagged a small handful of huckleberries.
Green false hellebore (Veratrum viride), Plaza Trail.jpg
Bracted lousewort (Pedicularis bracteosa var. bracteosa), Plaza Trail.jpg
Hall's isopyrum (Enemion hallii), Plaza Trail.jpg
The Plaza Trail continues to the junction with the Salmon Mountain Trail. I headed up to the crest again and entered rhododendron thickets. On the way, I dropped off the trail to visit the final resting place of Flight 956, a West Coast Airlines DC-9 that slammed into the ridge on the night of October 1st, 1966. For those who don’t know the story, the flight was preparing to land at PDX on a routine run from San Francisco to Portland via Eugene. The accident investigation could not find a mechanical issue with the plane; it appeared that the pilot did not realize he was flying about 5,000 feet too low at that point of his approach. All 18 people on board perished. It was rather an eerie feeling exploring the impact zone among blooming lupine and dozens of mountain beaver burrows. (NOTE: This crash site serves as a memorial to those who lost their lives. No part of the wreckage should be moved or altered in any way).
Wreckage, Flight 956, Salmon Mountain.jpg
Wash basin, Flight 956, Salmon Mountain.jpg
Tail section, Flight 956, Salmon Mountain.jpg
Tire, Flight 956, Salmon Mountain.jpg
I continued along the Salmon Mountain ridge. Along the way, one can spot old insulators for the lookout telegraph wire, which now snakes along the ground near the trail. There was sign of elk, cougar, and bear on the tread. At some point the trail tread deteriorates considerably and drops off the ridge (I first hiked this trail about 20 years ago and at least it hasn’t gotten any worse). The rough path passes along a steep, unstable slope and I needed to push my way through more rhododendrons to regain the ridge. Here I turned right and headed up the edge of a steep dry meadow to the site of the Salmon Mountain Lookout: constructed in the 1930s, decommissioned in 1962. There are no longer views west from here, but the vista extends north to Mt. Hood, east to the South Fork Salmon River valley and south to the Plaza.
Telegraph wire insulator, Salmon Mountain.jpg
Turtle head (Nothochelone nemorosa), Salmon Mountain.jpg
Washington lily (Lilium washingtonianum), Salmon Mountain.jpg
View southwest, Salmon Mountain.jpg
After this hike, I went a little farther east on Abbott Road to do the short (3/4 mile) trail down to Plaza Lake, which I had never visited. There are 17 switchbacks down (I counted them) and, well, it’s a lake. It looks like a great spot to fish and there are some wonderful old-growth Douglas-firs and western hemlocks in the area. Most significant for hikers, this short trail is the last vestige of the South Fork Salmon River Trail (I did a bit of digging and found an archived off-trail report by pablo detailing this route).
Plaza Lake, Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness.jpg
The hike to Salmon Mountain, all on or just below the ridge crest, is about 10 miles round-trip from Old Baldy Trailhead.
Last edited by bobcat on August 2nd, 2012, 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

hlee

Re: Salmon Mountain

Post by hlee » July 31st, 2012, 10:12 am

Yikes, that would be really eerie walking amongst the plane wreckage. :shock:

Otherwise, looks like a beautiful hike.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » July 31st, 2012, 1:38 pm

I've always wanted to hike this trail but have been put off by the 18 miles of gravel between Estacada and the trailhead. Particularly the last few miles that are supposed to be awful. At least I can live vicariously through this trip report.

Nice photos!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 31st, 2012, 5:09 pm

Thanks for the great TR Bobcat! :) I was wondering what was past Sheepshead Rock on our hike a couple of weeks ago. Next time I'll have to look for the old Plaza Guard Station as it wasn't obvious, from the trail, on our hike. I also agree with hlee about the plane wreckage.

By the way, did the Zigzag Ranger Station indicate they would do something to keep out dirt bikes? It appears that the Salmon-Huckleberry is under constant assault by these people that don't respect Wilderness and have no trouble destroying it for everyone! :x

pablo

Post by pablo » August 1st, 2012, 9:06 pm

Hey bobcat,

Thx for the report, I've missed the standing fireplace of the old guard station in my visits to the area, next outing I'll pay more attention. On the plane wreckage, I think I'll skip that one, RIP. The wire is for a phone line, not telegraph, I believe. Gleaned from some FS web site:
Eventually, a telephone system was installed using single strands of #9 galvanized wire attached to trees with insulators providing significantly more efficient communication.
Someone with a background in electronics would have to explain to me how it all worked on a single wire.

That the lookout was constructed in the 30s makes me think it was a CCC project.

I've only been out there on Salmon Mtn once but I recall the trail was OK up to the old lookout, but beyond that, ouch.

You mention Cheeney Creek, that trail I looked for that day follows the South Fork Salmon, starting at what is now the TH for Salmon Butte.

Great report, love the flower pics maybe one of these days if I keep looking at them my identification skills will improve.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 2nd, 2012, 9:38 am

@mike and pablo: The guard station is right on the trail, but the fireplace is screened by a thicket of huckleberries. The old road bed that serviced the post comes in from the left.

mike: So far no reply from the ranger district, but I sent the complaint just so they could add it to their tally. When they reach a certain critical mass of incursion reports, they might do something. Off-roading has been banned everywhere off Abbott Road due to "degradation of watershed". This cut off what had been a big playground for a lot of folks, so you are still going to find a few recalcitrants.

pablo: I also don't understand how that wire could have been used for telephone; thought phone wires needed to be paired . . . Also, thanks for the correction about the South Fork Salmon (I think I was channeling your recent Coffman report). I have edited my post accordingly.

As for the crash scene, 45 winters on, it is now a place of serenity and repose compared to the violence that shook that night. I understand what qualms some might have about visiting the site or even posting about it. It is a part of the wilderness now. There is the curiosity about the event, but such a place for me induces much reflection on the frail, ephemeral nature of our lives and the often arbitrary path that destiny sometimes takes . . .

cfm

Post by cfm » August 24th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I visited the area today and I couldn't find all of the plane wreckage you documented, but I did find a nearby army helicopter crash site( I think it crashed looking for the DC-9).

I also found a camera in a meadow camping spot up on the ridgetop above the helicopter. Did you or anyone lose it? The battery still works and the pics taken in the area are dated 7/29/12. Pm me and describe and I'll get it back to you.