Burnt Lake and East Zigzag - 7/27/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Burnt Lake and East Zigzag - 7/27/12

Post by justpeachy » July 29th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Inspired by kepPNW's recent TR for this hike, Greg and I decided to hike up to East Zigzag via Burnt Lake. We had both been to Burnt Lake before, but had never been up to Zigzag Mountain.

The whole drive up from Portland was under overcast skies and we wondered if the forecasters had totally botched it when they called for mostly sunny weather. But by the time we got to the trailhead at 1:00 the clouds had thankfully started burning off. (What is WITH all this morning cloudiness we've had this month??) There were a dozen cars in the tiny parking area at the TH, and we were the eighth Subaru there, which made me laugh!

After walking in the trees for several miles, it was nice to come out in the open a bit and get a glimpse of Mt. Hood behind us.

We reached the lake about 3:00 and made a beeline for day use area C, which has a great view of Mt. Hood. No reflections today, but the view is still fantastic.

We hung out for awhile eating snacks and enjoying the view. We heard crackling, smelled smoke, and heard a couple of guys laughing as campfire smoke billowed up from day use area D about 50 feet away. There are numerous signs telling you that this is not allowed, but I guess the rules don't apply to these two. We wanted to go over and say something, but knew we'd only get a "f*** off" or a "mind your own business" for our troubles.

We pushed on to East Zigzag, which is another 1.5mi beyond Burnt Lake. The way up is mostly forested, until the last bit when you break out into the open and can see your goal ahead of you.

And off the right, the jaw-dropping view of lovely Mt. Hood, with Burnt Lake nestled in the forest below. This is now one of my new favorite views of the mountain. No burned trees, no clearcuts, no towns, no highways.

There were quite a few wildflowers on the slopes of the mountain as we climbed up.

The view at the top is a little obscured by trees, but you can still see Mt. Hood pretty well.

Here's us, very happy to be up here on this glorious afternoon AND to have the summit all to ourselves!

Distant clouds obscured the far-reaching views, but we could see the top of one snowy peak. I can't tell if this is Mt. Adams or Mt. Rainier.

We could also see Bald Mountain, where we would be hiking the next day.

And McNeil Point.

With binoculars or the zoom lens we could just make out the top of the Palmer ski lift the wheel houses for the top of the Magic Mile ski lift and the bottom of the Palmer ski lift.

The day was getting late and we had a long hike back to the car, so we reluctantly headed down.

We headed up to Government Camp and our favorite Mt. Hood eatery, the Ice Axe Grill, where we ate french fries, pizza, and good beer and watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics (with no sound). Some of it was truly bizarre!
Last edited by justpeachy on July 29th, 2012, 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kepPNW

Re: Burnt Lake and East Zigzag - 7/27/12

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Isn't that just beautiful up there?! Looks like you had far better weather than I did, though, despite the morning clouds. For me, the day started alright, but grew more turbulent as it went on. Glad the hike didn't disappoint!

Those chairlift wheelhouses are actually the top of the Mile (upper), bottom of the Palmer (lower). This is the best shot I got of them from E Zigzag...

And from upclose, the next day...

Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 29th, 2012, 7:49 pm

kepPNW wrote:Those chairlift wheelhouses are actually the top of the Mile (upper), bottom of the Palmer (lower).
Thanks for the correction! I've corrected my TR. I don't ski so I'm not that familiar with the area up there.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 29th, 2012, 8:03 pm

justpeachy wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Those chairlift wheelhouses are actually the top of the Mile (upper), bottom of the Palmer (lower).
Thanks for the correction! I've corrected my TR. I don't ski so I'm not that familiar with the area up there.
Back when I skied Timberline a lot, they hadn't built the Palmer yet, so that was pretty amazing when they extended it up there.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 29th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Nice report and great pictures, Cheryl. Great shot of you and Greg at the summit. What a view up there!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 30th, 2012, 9:28 am

I'm surprised you had never been up to East Zigzag Mt. before. It's one of my must-do-at-least-once-a-year hikes.

Next time you are up the during the flower season you must continue over the top for a couple of minutes to get this awesome view:
Attachments
Copy of DSC02560.JPG
E.Zigzag-Mt Hood-Flowers, 7-1-07
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

puma111

Post by puma111 » August 1st, 2012, 7:42 pm

Great report! I went up to Burnt Lake today....now you've inspired me to keep going next time! Thanks for sharing....