Little Huckleberry Mtn 28-Jul-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Little Huckleberry Mtn 28-Jul-2012

Post by VanMarmot » July 29th, 2012, 7:35 am

After hiking Lookout Mtn via Fret Ck, I headed over to the WA side. Having hiked Big Huckleberry twice in recent weeks, it seemed time to try Little Huckleberry, which has been turning up in more guidebooks lately. Its Hike #118 in Nelson's Dayhiking South Cascades. From Hwy 14, I went N on the Cook-Underwood Hwy, then left on the Willard Rd thru Willard (pop. 48), then left of FR 66 for about 2 mi past where it goes from paved to gravel to the TH.

The guidebook describes this short (2.5 mi) trail as '...steep, hot, and dusty..." but that didn't seem entirely accurate to me. It's certainly steep, but 99% of it is under a tall, cool forest canopy and there are only a few slightly dusty stretches lower down. However, the trail itself isn't the issue but rather the views it takes you to - huge! From the top, Adams is immensely visible to the N, with the Monte Cristo Range in the foreground.

To the left of Adams were Rainier and Sawtooth Mtn in the Indian Heaven Wilderness.

To the left of Sawtooth (s) were Bird Mtn (b), East Crater (e), Gifford Pk (g), and Berry Mtn (be), all in Indian Heaven.

On the western horizon were Three Corner Rock (tc), Birkenfeld (b), Greenleaf (g), and Table (t).

The little lookout (arrow) atop Red Mtn was also visible as was - of course - St. Helens.

A short, steep hike (5 mi RT, 1800' EG) in the trees, but well worth it for the views from the summit.

All told, a two summit, 12 mi, 3800' EG day.

justpeachy

Re: Little Huckleberry Mtn 28-Jul-2012

Post by justpeachy » July 29th, 2012, 11:41 am

Thanks for posting this! I've been wondering about that trail ever since I saw Little Huckleberry from Big Huckleberry a few weeks ago.

hlee

Post by hlee » July 30th, 2012, 6:55 pm

You take awesome photos. I love it when people label the peaks. I have such a hard time keeping them straight. :oops: I'd love to be able to ID hills and mountains and such and impress and annoy my friends and roadtrip victims. I guess it will come with experience.

I've been to Silver Star twice and still when people are like "And here's a photo of Silver Star Mtn in the background" I'm still just like 'Oh, it is? I mean, sure, of course... In fact I think I can see myself at the top... :? '

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

beag

Post by beag » August 2nd, 2012, 10:06 am

I headed out that way yesterday to hike little Huckleberry. How far is the trailhead from Willard. I was going to incorporate the hike with a trip to Lost Creek but I ended up doing Lost Creek and part of the old PCT from Triangle toward Augsberger. A lot of options around that area.

Lost Creek is a marvellous loop hike through huge trees. Loop is about 2 miles but you can wander around to see more trees. It is another one of Russ Jolley's. I recognise Russ's work with his narrow cuts on logs across the trail. However someone else has kept the trail in great shape.
After Lost Creek I headed over toward Augsburger on the old PCT trail. The part of the trail I was on was in good shape but because it was getting late I did not get to Augsburger. As I said earlier there are all kinds of options including, Grassy Knoll, Dog and Cook Hill. With a regular car you have to drive carefully because of the potholes. I went through Willard and returned through Carson.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » August 2nd, 2012, 10:49 am

Great photos as always, V-Marmot. I also like how you label the different peaks in the distance, its a great learning tool when we go out :)

I think this qualifies as "loony", Lookout mtn directly over to Little Huck in the same day? thats awesome, two great peaks with outstanding views all around.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 2nd, 2012, 3:03 pm

beag wrote:I headed out that way yesterday to hike little Huckleberry. How far is the trailhead from Willard. I was going to incorporate the hike with a trip to Lost Creek but I ended up doing Lost Creek and part of the old PCT from Triangle toward Augsberger. A lot of options around that area.

Lost Creek is a marvellous loop hike through huge trees. Loop is about 2 miles but you can wander around to see more trees. It is another one of Russ Jolley's. I recognise Russ's work with his narrow cuts on logs across the trail. However someone else has kept the trail in great shape.
After Lost Creek I headed over toward Augsburger on the old PCT trail. The part of the trail I was on was in good shape but because it was getting late I did not get to Augsburger. As I said earlier there are all kinds of options including, Grassy Knoll, Dog and Cook Hill. With a regular car you have to drive carefully because of the potholes. I went through Willard and returned through Carson.
The turn-off onto FR 66 is just N of Willard, then its about 10mi of paved and 2 mi of good gravel to the Little Huckleberry TH. I did the old PCT (which was the CCT) from Augsperger to the Dog Mtn TH last year - that's quite an adventure!

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » August 2nd, 2012, 3:04 pm

Sean Thomas wrote:Great photos as always, V-Marmot. I also like how you label the different peaks in the distance, its a great learning tool when we go out :)

I think this qualifies as "loony", Lookout mtn directly over to Little Huck in the same day? thats awesome, two great peaks with outstanding views all around.
Thanks! The biggest challenge was skipping a visit to the Full Sail brewery as I passed thru Hood River!