Another brutally rough day, Trillium Lake 7/25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

Another brutally rough day, Trillium Lake 7/25

Post by pdxgene » July 25th, 2012, 5:13 pm

I don't know how much more of this rough summer I can take. Can you imagine having to put up with stuff like this all day?

The local gang of reflection breaker-uppers. If you don't toss them a snack, they create endless ripples..

Away from the day use areas and campgrounds the far side of the lake is filled with wildflowers.. The occasional lone tiger lily..

Douglas' Asters lining the trail..

Bunches of columbine..

A new generation of ducks enjoying the view while preening for the photos..

Refreshment break..

Out amongst the lily pads..

Really, it was far rougher than that makes it look. There were literally thousands of these guys buzzing around (the good insects :) )

Mt Hood from out on the water..

The best surprise of the day and the first I've seen this season. Fresh ripe yummy huckleberries :D

A bunch of those are gone now..
And much more pleasant wildlife too look at than the slugs and snails of Silver Falls..

And a heron that I almost didn't notice lurking in the grasses..

What a day! After three laps around the lake on foot and in the water I'm just exhausted. That's at least a 10' cumulative elevation gain over the day.. :P

hlee

Re: Another brutally rough day, Trillium Lake 7/25

Post by hlee » July 25th, 2012, 6:07 pm

I felt bad for people losing GPSs and guitars getting stolen and cars getting broken into, but my heart bleeds for you. :( Those fowl thugs, messing up reflections... ought to be a law!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 25th, 2012, 7:33 pm

What a horrible day. I see you caught one of the wild brews that spawn about this time of the year. Sadly, this one beached itself. I hope you put it out of its misery.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 25th, 2012, 8:15 pm

hlee wrote:I felt bad for people losing GPSs and guitars getting stolen and cars getting broken into, but my heart bleeds for you. :( Those fowl thugs, messing up reflections... ought to be a law!
See how they worked as a group? The first two come directly in front of me to make their demands while the third one makes a hard turn for the side of Mt Hood to give me an example of what happens to those who don't co-operate...

Waffle Stomper wrote:What a horrible day. I see you caught one of the wild brews that spawn about this time of the year. Sadly, this one beached itself. I hope you put it out of its misery.
I used a cooler of ice for bait knowing that's its one true weakness. :)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 25th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Gene! Congrats, Fox12 posted one of your pics from this trip on their facebook page!

Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

hlee

Post by hlee » July 25th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Well at least you got photos of the thugs to show the police...

Looks like Fox12 has them on their Most Wanted, so that's good.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » July 26th, 2012, 5:52 am

Crusak wrote:Gene! Congrats, Fox12 posted one of your pics from this trip on their facebook page!
Thanx. It was going to be on the 645 weather (my fifteen seconds of fame) but she ran out of time and put it on their facebook page instead (it helps when you know the forecaster :) ).