Cape Horn Loop, 21-Jul-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Cape Horn Loop, 21-Jul-2012

Post by kepPNW » July 23rd, 2012, 4:14 pm

I've been anxiously awaiting the opening of the full loop on the Cape Horn Trail for a couple months. Never been there, but had heard it was worth checking out, and now I agree. The main problem is that a critical section of this trail is off-limits from February 1 through July 15, due to it crossing too close to an active peregrine falcon nest. Well, Saturday turned out glorious, so I left home about 4pm to go do the loop, thinking I'd get some of the sunset colors in the photos.

I guess this trail's pretty new. It sure has a fancy trailhead sign!

I chose to do the loop counter-clockwise, heading up to the bluffs first. Early on, a viewpoint opened up to the north, offering a bucolic close-up of the Silver Star complex.

Not much farther along, the trail splits with horses directed to the right and a viewpoint offered to the left. Heading on to Pioneer Point, this vista alone made me really glad I'd come out for a look-see!

Directly across the Columbia, Angel's Rest and Devil's Rest...

A little to the left, Multnomah Falls...

Here's a four-shot panorama. Click it to zoom/pan about in a 23-image, 66.44 megapixel composite.

Well, anyway, "don't waste all your film" at that first overlook. There are actually a series of them as you move west.

One that even appears to have been designed to serve as a little amphitheatre of sorts?

Ran into bunches of new (to me) flowers on the upper portion of the trail, which varies in character between soft dirt trails through the woods, to old gravel roads across fields.

Then the trail descends down through the woods, until you get to a nice new pedestrian tunnel under SR-14.

And still more viewpoints!

As you continue down towards the river, you cross a number of talus fields. Normally, not much of a concern. But I mentioned this is a new trail, right? Ouch! The rocks are pretty loose. Poles tend to be useless, as they plunge into the cracks with each plant. And some genius even designed one segment with seven or eight switchbacks down one of these slopes. I saw a family coming off that, two kids walking, each parent carrying another, one parent seemingly ready to scream at the other for "getting them into this mess!" This picture doesn't convey what a new trail on talus is really like.

But this lower section is intriguing in its own right! Before long, I found a side trail to an overlook that featured Cigar Rock...

And then I got to Cape Horn Falls. Nice!

The sun was now setting on the Oregon side of the gorge, while the Washington side was well into the shade. One last view of Angel's Rest...

Unfortunately, in one way, but not entirely as bad as I anticipated, the last 1.5 miles is on a two-lane (paved) country road back up to SR-14. There, you cross under the highway again, in another new pedestrian tunnel. Along this roadway, you'll see cattle, goats, dogs, rabbits and deer. Only one or two houses, though, and probably no cars.

The full loop, according to GPSfly was 7.65 miles with 2100' EG. My goal was to do it with a 3+ mph average pace, but the talus pretty well killed that notion. Kicking butt down the home stretch, I did get it back to 2.9 overall. Just saying, though much of the trail would be fine in sneakers, you'll be happy for boots in other parts.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=1677&w=645&h=440

This isn't a hike to plan your weekend around. But it's soooo close to the city, you can easily sneak away for this whenever the mood and weather is right.

I'd highly recommend a clear day, after you've mowed the lawn (etc), to enjoy the views of all the other places in the gorge that you've hiked.
Last edited by kepPNW on August 7th, 2012, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peabody

Re: Cape Horn Loop, 21-Jul-2012

Post by Peabody » July 23rd, 2012, 4:47 pm

Great report. I've done that hike a couple times and enjoyed it a lot. Sounds like a hike I can do after right after work.

I'm so glad they close the lower trail during Peregrine Falcon breeding season. I mean gosh, there's tons of evidence showing the mere presence of people greatly disturbs these masters of the sky.

Here's a picture of one on it's breeding box atop the Hawthorne bridge getting it's picture taken during rush hour. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh we wouldn't want to bother it.

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White

R11

Post by R11 » July 23rd, 2012, 4:56 pm

That trail has actually been around for a long time. It's just had recent gentrification updates done to it. It is a nice varied terrain loop.

ron

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 23rd, 2012, 5:07 pm

Yeah, Peabody, he certainly looks disturbed! :roll: As usual, it seems Garmin and GPSfly disagree on stats. I swear my Oregon 450 said I averaged 2.9mph moving, but now that I look at the actual elapsed time (3:40, including all photo stops) I'm skeptical. Probably want to leave three hours of daylight, at least. Darkness closes in on the north side a lot quicker than the south side!

Ron, I was basing the "new" comment on the Field Guide. I agree that sections of it felt like they'd been there for some time. But others certainly didn't. Like those talus trail segments, which have a very different (wobbly) feel to them than the ones on, say, Nesmith Point or Eagle Creek trails. I'm sure they'll settle with time.
Karl

airoff

Post by airoff » July 23rd, 2012, 8:33 pm

A little something about the overlook...

http://gorgefriends.org/article.php?id=555

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 24th, 2012, 5:36 am

airoff wrote:A little something about the overlook... http://gorgefriends.org/article.php?id=555
Wow! "Dedicated to...the woman who stopped a subdivision..." What a story!

Sounds like they're going to put some info boards up there, telling it for all. That'd be a helluva thing to contemplate, at that spot.

And this is now part of the trail, rather than (still) being someone's driveway...

Thanks for adding this to the thread, airoff.
Last edited by kepPNW on August 7th, 2012, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

R11

Post by R11 » July 24th, 2012, 8:36 am

kepPNW wrote:Ron, I was basing the "new" comment on the Field Guide. I agree that sections of it felt like they'd been there for some time. But others certainly didn't. Like those talus trail segments, which have a very different (wobbly) feel to them than the ones on, say, Nesmith Point or Eagle Creek trails. I'm sure they'll settle with time.
It's been an unofficial, boot-built trail for quite a long time. It wasn't until the conservancy group got involved with it that it started getting press and then the upgrades to make it more mass-hiker friendly (and popular). It appears destined to become the Angels Rest of the north side! Perhaps they will pave the scree slope sections next... ;)

They have a lot of info about the trail on the Conservancy site including some way-back history of the whole area here:

http://www.capehorntrail.org/History.html

ron

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 24th, 2012, 10:07 am

Interesting reading! Appreciate the link. Not sure that trail will ever attract the kind of traffic that's over on the south side! (Sure hope they don't move in with pavers, either. It's already citified enough. :))
Karl