7/21/12 Fanton Trl to Tumala Mt. Summit to Sheepshead rock

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

7/21/12 Fanton Trl to Tumala Mt. Summit to Sheepshead rock

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 21st, 2012, 9:35 pm

Update I have updated this TR to change the name of Tumalo to the correct name Tumala. Thanks to Splintercat for this correction! My apologies for not updating the picture labels but it appears I would have had to delete them all and rename them before uploading them again! Thanks for your understanding. :) MileageMike

It was a perfect day to pursue an area with some views! :) We decided to continue our previous Fanton Trail hike and extend it to the summit of Tumala Mt. and then head out to Sheepshead Rock in the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness. Thanks to Forest Keeper for putting up the temporary sign! :)
1 Fanton TH off of NF4614_(1).JPG
We hiked up the Fanton Trail for about 3/4mile and reached the Old Baldy trail where we veered to the right. In about another 1/2mile you will reach the intersection with the Tumala Mt. trail (I forgot to take a picture but it's marked on my map). Turn right and take the 1/4mile trail to the summit.

Along this short trail you will see views o f Mt. Hood!
2 Mt Hood on way to Tumalo Mt._(1).JPG
And in the distance Mt. Jefferson!
3 Mt Jefferson on way to Tumalo Mt._(1).JPG
Continuing you will finally come to a rocky road (that had recent tire tracks) and turn left to follow the road around toward the summit. At the end of the road there is a new radio tower that hasn't been commissioned yet. :x
4 New radio tower to be commissioned on Tumalo Mt._(1).JPG
If you read the warning sign next to the door it mentions that the signal beyond this point (the sign is on the container and may be indicating radio waves inside the metal structure?) may exceed acceptal limits to the public! :shock: From my understanding this Mt. is used heavily and I don't understand why this is a good location (except of course because it is the high point in the area) if people might be subjected to hazardous levels of radio waves? Perhaps I am reading the sign wrong but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

We finally reached the rocky summit where the view was Spectacular! :o
5 Awesome view from Tumalo Mt summit!_(1).JPG
6 Another awesome view of Mt Hood from Tumalo Summit_(1).JPG
And the view of the summit from below.
7 Tumalo summit where old fire tower resided_(1).JPG
We headed back down from the summit and turned right to travel east on the Old Baldy trail. In about 3/4mile you will reach a rock field where there is an excellent view of the Tumala Mt. summit (2nd peak from the right)!
8 Looking back to Tumalo Mt summit from Old Baldy trail_(1).JPG
And there is an excellent view of the Tumala Valley!
9 View of Tumalo Valley from rock field on Old Baldy trail_(1).JPG
Continuing our hike east on the Old Baldy trail we finally reached the Twin Springs area. We found a cut-in off of Abbott Rd where the Old Baldy TH (Plaza Trail #783) can be reached by car. We met 3 people that were camping just off of this sign location that said the road was very rough but could be navigated slowly!
10 Plaza Trail #783 TH from Twin Springs area_(1).JPG
We continued to take the Old Baldy trail into the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness but never saw a sign indicating we reached the boundary? ;) We did see a notification board on a tree but that was it.

As we hiked I noticed that there was supposed to be an Old Guard Station along the trail but we never found it and didn't go off trail as we were running short on time. We will save this exploration for a different hike!

My wife and son were a bit tired so I continued the hike to Sheepshead Rock alone while they rested. I was not disappointed by my decision to keep going to see this site as the view from Sheepshead Rock is AMAZING! :o
11 View from Sheepshead Rock 1_(1).JPG
12 View of Mt Hood from Sheepshead Rock!_(1).JPG
The view of Sheepshead Rock from the base looks like this.
13 Sheepshead Rock from base_(1).JPG
And I did climb up most of the rock except for the remaining 10ft or so. :(
14 Didn't feel comfortable climbing last 10 feet!_(1).JPG
I turned around from here and met back up with my son and wife. We moved quickly to get back to our car and get back home.

The condition of the trail was excellent with only a couple of very small older logs (NO trees blown down!) on the trail and very little debris! :) There were a couple of small areas where the brush is getting a bit thick around the trail but had absolutely no effect on trail navigation. There was also a small portion of the Old Baldy trail in the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness that had a small amount of blown down branches and we cleared some of that as we hiked.

The temperature was fairly cool and in the 60's with cool breezes during much of the hike. It only felt warm for a short period where we first entered the wilderness.

I very highly recommend this hike! :)

The hike was 9.9miles with a total elevation gain of about 2600ft.
Tumalo Mt & Sheepshead Rock Hike.JPG
Last edited by mileagemike25000 on July 24th, 2012, 4:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

sasquatch22

Re: 7/21/12 Fanton Trl to Tumalo Mt. Summit to Sheepshead ro

Post by sasquatch22 » July 22nd, 2012, 12:39 am

Great trip report and images, mileagemike25k. Thanks for posting.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 22nd, 2012, 8:53 pm

Thanks, Mike - and agreed on the radio antenna. A similar eyesore (pair, actually) was installed on Indian Mountain a couple of years ago. I keep a pretty good watch on MHNF projects, so dug a bit to find the public notice on that one... It was there, but like all USFS public notices, rather obscure. It's very hard to get out in front of these developments....

BTW, a minor edit is that Squaw Mountain became Tumala Mountain, which is going to be confusing for everyone -- since Tumalo is a much more familiar name for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, the change applies to the former Squaw Creek and Lakes, so lots of "Tumala" to get used to..!

Tom :)

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 23rd, 2012, 7:34 am

A couple of questions - I've been up to that site a couple of times, and as I recall, there was an old foundation that looked like it was for a garage below the summit - it kind of looks like the general area where that radio tower is.
  • Did they improve that road up to the lookout? Last time I was up there I remember that road was VERY washed out - it would be pretty extreme 4WD to get up that road in the condition it was.
  • What is the radio tower for? The FS? Or something else? I'm assuming it couldn't be for cell service, since there are no landlines in the vicinty.
I may be back there later this summer - it is on my "to do" list.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 23rd, 2012, 8:16 pm

sasquatch22 - Thanks! :)

Tom - Thanks and I appreciate the info! :) It sounds like there isn't much chance of stopping these projects if they aren't very visible to the public. The sign didn't give much confidence in the safety to the public. :(
_06C3654_(1).JPG
I also appreciate the correction for the Squaw Mt name change and will update the TR to change it to Tumala!

Rob - I don't remember seeing an old foundation below the summit where the radion tower was but then I wasn't looking for it. However, there were concrete steps on the summit that my wife and son were sitting on!
_06C3655_(1).JPG
As far as the condition of the road, I thought I took a picture but unfortunately not this time. The portion of the road where the trail came out did look a bit rough but driveable? That being said I can't imagine the radio tower being placed up there without a helicopter as there is a very sharp radius in the road where a large truck would have extreme difficulty. However, there were tire tracks on the road from what looked to me from a motorcycle. The road downhill from the trail looked okay (a few hundred feet) but it is narrow! Beyond that it's anyone's guess the condition of the road? ;)

I'm not sure what the radio tower is for but I would guess it is for regeneration of handheld radio signals for use by the forest service or for commercial uses such as logging operations? ;) There are trails on the south side of the Mt. that have great views and I'm sure that the radio tower could be in line of sight for a long distance.

The summit is definitely worth a visit and perhaps some of your questions would be answered during your exploration! I hope you get the chance to visit! :)

RobFromRedland

Re: 7/21/12 Fanton Trl to Tumala Mt. Summit to Sheepshead ro

Post by RobFromRedland » July 24th, 2012, 11:47 am

Those are the steps that have "Welcome" carved into the first step, right? I hope I'm not confusing my old lookout locations!

I'll have to put this on my todo list - I've been there a couple of times, but not for a few years. I just remember the view is pretty good from there on a clear day. It would be interesting to see the radio tower stuff.

The old garage foundation (if that is what it was) was way back at the end of the "road" right below the lookout. If I remember correctly, there was a fire pit in the middle of it. Here is a photo of it:
P9030004.JPG
Old foundation
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 24th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Rob & Mike,
I took a good look at the MHNF project page and didn't find anything about this antenna, but it looks identical to the ones installed on Indian Mountain - I posted about these last year:

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... tain+radio

The motivation might be the same -- to provide for USFS communications in the surrounding canyons. Ugly as it may be, this one is certainly better located than the Indian Mountain antennas...

Tom

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 24th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Rob - To tell the truth I never looked at the steps to see if there was writing on them. ;) The view was so amazing that I inadvertantly avoided the remains of the old tower/building! By the way, the view from here is amazing as you are looking into the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness toward Mt. Hood and there is no apparent logging in sight! :)

As far as the picture you've shown, I never went behind the radio tower where this appears to be. I'll have to look around next time I'm up there and see what else is in store? Let us know what you find!

Tom - I looked at your TR from Indian Mt. and it sure appears to be the same tower. I agree that the one on Indian Mt. is quite an eye sore and should have been given more consideration to fit into the landscape! :x You would think that the forest service would have more respect for the aesthetics given that they work in such a beautiful place and would understand the importance of visitors wanting an experience free of artificial structures (people-made)!