Belated Report = Cape Lookout May 29, 2008

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
meana39

Belated Report = Cape Lookout May 29, 2008

Post by meana39 » December 7th, 2008, 4:41 pm

As I sit here listening to the rain...I'll catch up on a trip report from last May....

For our 22 anniversary my husband wanted to take me to the beach last May, so off we went to stay in our favorite cabins in Oceanside. In our explorations we decided to finally do the 4.8 mile trail at Cape Lookout. I'd always wanted to do it, but hadn't ever. I had not planned on hiking, except of course on the beach, so hadn't brought my hiking boots, they would have come in handy as parts of the trail are VERY muddy!

If you're afraid of heights, this might not be the trail for you, but I never felt afraid I was going to fall off the cliffy trails, even though some of them come VERY close to the edge, and I AM afraid of heights, sometimes anyway. The views from this stunning trail were well worth it, and I hear that the whale watching is fantastic.

Here are some photos of our hike.....enjoy!

This is one of the first spots along the Cape with a view of the beach to the south through the trees. This first view south, is just above the site where a B-17 bomber crashed into the cape's 800-foot cliffs on a foggy day in 1943. There is a plaque commemorating this event on the cliff face.
beachtreessmall.jpg
cliffyview9.jpg
wildiriscliff.jpg
About half way there the woods open up to this view of a hidden cove, protected by the cliffs on either side. The trail comes very close to the edge here too.
hiddencove.jpg
cliffytrail1.jpg
cliffytrail2.jpg
cliffytrail3.jpg
cliffytrail4.jpg
cliffytrail5.jpg
cliffytrail6.jpg
cliffyview7.jpg
cliffyview8.jpg
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Splintercat

Re: Belated Report = Cape Lookout May 29, 2008

Post by Splintercat » December 14th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Thanks, Meana - nice pics! We're heading down to the beach for a few days with the dogs next week (after Christmas) and I might tack this one on if we have semi-cooperative weather. We used to camp at the state park at Cape Lookout in days of yore, but I haven't done that hike since the 1970s. My recollection is that the viewpoint at the end of the cape is somewhat exposed, too? From the ocean side (we used to run a dory out of Pacific City) there's a HUGE undercut at the tip of the cape... impressive! But a bit spooky.

Tom

-Q-

Post by -Q- » December 15th, 2008, 12:36 am

Tom, the viewpoint at the end of the Cape Lookout trail is exposed indeed, but its protected by a steel cable fence. Here are some pics from earlier this year...
Attachments
DSCN5822.JPG
protective fencing from viewpoint looking back to coast
DSCN5818.JPG
sheer drop from lookout to ocean

Arioto

Post by Arioto » December 16th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Thanks for the report. Looking back, I think that this was probably my first hike ever as my family used to camp there every year. Good memories. There is a memorial for a plane crash up there. I have always wondered if you could see any reckage.

meana39

Post by meana39 » December 17th, 2008, 5:21 pm

CubFan wrote:There is a memorial for a plane crash up there. I have always wondered if you could see any reckage.
My husband asked the same question.....In my search for the answer I found a couple of interesting sites....but still no answer to where the wreckage went.

You can see a photo of the memorial plaque here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Capel ... -small.jpg

I also found in my search for more info on the wreckage this site with a great google photo of the trail and an elevation map of the trip
http://firstdraft33.wordpress.com/2008/ ... out-point/
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

meana39

Post by meana39 » December 17th, 2008, 5:26 pm

I just found an article about the 65th anniversary of this crash....apparently there was a documentary aired on PBS in September and December of 1993. I wonder if there are more answers on that.....interesting article though about the history.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/augu ... 8-2-08.php

Arioto

Post by Arioto » December 18th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Good job digging up the info on that. I'd heard stories, but never something that in debth.

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » December 18th, 2008, 4:44 pm

There's a brief writeup in our Field Guide as well.

Cape Lookout Crash Site