Elk - Kings Mountains Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Elk - Kings Mountains Loop

Post by bobcat » July 10th, 2012, 7:25 pm

I got a late start the other day and I hadn't done this loop in a while, so it was a last-minute decision - good one on a nice day. There have been many posts on it, so I won't bore with all the details.

*I hiked counter-clockwise from the Kings Mt. Trailhead (Wilson River Trail - Elk Mt. - Kings Mt.) because I like to get the WRT section out of the way and I hate going down Elk, but love going up it.

*When I first hiked this loop many years ago, it was really just the equivalent of a game trail on the back end, with no signs. The forest has really grown up in places: some of the five-foot saplings are now 20 feet or more.

*I took a machete to deal with thimbleberry, but someone (probably Mazamas) beat me to it by a day or two on the back of Kings Mt. in the section near the rope-a-dope.

*There were lots of blooms, just past the prime time. However, in the next two weeks the relic (since the last ice age) population of copperbush (also called burning bush - Elliotta pyrolifolia) at the back of Kings will begin to bloom.

*Picked six recently bloomed TP/Tissue flowers (Charta sanitaria) at the top of Kings. They are an invasive species common at this summit. All were within 10 feet of the trail in full view.
Remains of the footbridge, Wilson River Trail.jpg
Little-leaf montia (Montia parvifolia), Elk Mountain.jpg
View to Highway 6, Elk Mountain.jpg
Silverback luina (Luina hypoleuca), Elk Mountain.jpg
Big deer-vetch (Lotus crassifolius var. crassifolius), Elk Mountain.jpg
Kings Mountain from Elk Mountain Ridge .jpg
Scalloped onion (Allium crenulatum), Elk Mountain Ridge.jpg
Rough wallflower (Erysimum capitatum),  Elk Mountain Ridge.jpg
The big creek valley from Elk-Kings Ridge.jpg
The rope-a-dope chute, Kings Mountain.jpg
Below the outcroppings, Kings Mountain.jpg
Oxalis carpet, Kings Mountain.jpg

Peder

Re: Elk - Kings Mountains Loop

Post by Peder » July 10th, 2012, 8:27 pm

bobcat wrote:*Picked six recently bloomed TP/Tissue flowers (Charta sanitaria) at the top of Kings. They are an invasive species common at this summit. All were within 10 feet of the trail in full view.
You deserve a medal for actions beyond the call of duty!

I knew that there were leftovers (vegetation wise) from the last ice age on some of the Coastal Mountains. Now I know that the copperbush is one of them. Thanks to Google I even know what the bush and its flowers look like! Thank you. :D

Those a lovely pictures and it is a pleasant loop. I agree with you: Start from the Kings TH and go CCW. Anything else would be a pain...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Looks like the trail is in good shape. I need to go hike that loop again soon myself. :)

Super job on the cleanup! Not many people would tackle that type of work... Thanks for sharing your trip, and for the information on the plant life around that area. Maybe I should wait a couple of weeks and head up there...
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 11th, 2012, 11:13 am

Here's my only photo of copperbush from the hike (This was the best bud I could find):
Copperbush (Elliottia pyroliflora), Kings Mountain.jpg
Copperbush is also found on Saddle Mountain and I believe Angora Peak is its southernmost reach.

Rick

Post by Rick » July 14th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I (solo Mazama) did some brushing on the back side of King on 6/30 and re-benched 4 sections of crumbling trail. Knocked off early due to being wet to the skin, picked a bad day!

I will try to be more diligent about posting our maintenance trips out there, both before and after, and hope others will do the same to avoid duplication of effort. The first mile of King is rapidly getting overgrown but I have my hands full with PCT work, an upcoming trip, and the Mazama Trail on Aug 23-26 which is a high priority for the Mazama trail tending committee. Hope to sneak a trip in if possible.