Grassy Knoll & Big Huckleberry Mountain

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Grassy Knoll & Big Huckleberry Mountain

Post by justpeachy » July 8th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Last weekend Greg and I headed up into the hills of the Gifford Pinchot to do the hike to Grassy Knoll and Big Huckleberry Mountain. We had heard how bad the roads were. We encountered plenty of potholes, but frankly it wasn't as bad as I expecting. I think the road to the north side of Silver Star is worse. There is a stretch, though, where there is only room for one vehicle to pass, so if you encountered someone coming from the other direction one of you would have to back up. (I've only ever had to do this on a forest road once and it was a little scary. Going in reverse along a narrow brushy road with another car staring you down really puts the pressure on. I was afraid I'd back over the edge of the cliff!)

The trail starts out in a meadow for about two minutes.

And then it's in trees for awhile.

But after that you start getting east-facing views. Here is Hood River, with Hood River Mountain on the east side of the valley looking a little brown.

We came to a nice rock outcropping with sweet views.

Mt. Adams!

We could see our route ahead. I'm not sure if Big Huckleberry is one of those bumps ore not. Does this trail look like a bit of a roller coaster? It definitely is.

Soon Grassy Knoll came into view. We'd already been doing some up and down in the last two miles. Time for more up.

Mt. Hood came into view.

And there were wildflowers galore!

And then we were at the top. Here's the view looking southwest.

We had views of Dog and Wind Mountains.

Not a stellar Mt. Adams view from here because Little Huckleberry Mountain is in the way.

In that previous photo, you can also see all that's left of the old lookout tower. Here's how it looked in 1949.

Sadly, we couldn't linger to enjoy the views because it was VERY VERY windy, so we hastily headed into the trees to look for a more protected lunch spot, which we found a short ways down the trail. After that we continued on to a small grassy meadow that is called "Grassy Pass" in Bill Sullivan's old book (this is now a back-of-the-book hike in newer editions). This area and the hill just beyond were really lovely.

And there's Mt. Adams again.

Greg got a shot of me climbing the wildflower hill beyond Grassy Pass.

And then it's a LONG roller coaster through the forest over to the PCT and the spur trail to Big Huckleberry. We passed through LOTS of huckleberry bushes on the way, so this is an appropriately-named mountain!

We passed Cold Springs Camp, where there is indeed a spring, although the flow is not "robust", as Greg put it.

And then after more forest hiking and one last steep push, we were finally climbing up to the summit.

Sadly, the views here are nowhere near as nice as those we had over in the Grassy Knoll area since there are a lot of trees blocking the views. Here's the cloudy southwest view.

We could see Mt. Adams through the trees, with some neato clouds overhead.

I scrambled around for awhile until I found a relatively unobstructed view of Mt. Hood.

As at Grassy Knoll, there was once a fire lookout here. The footings are gone and there are just some rusted pieces of twisted metal left now.

Looks like this is one of the lookouts that they burned, since there are melted pieces of glass all over.

All too soon we had to head back since we had 5.5 miles miles of up-and-down hiking to get back to the car. We paused to enjoy and photograph the wildflowers in that Grassy Pass area. Next time I do this hike I'm making this my turn-around point, since Big Huckleberry isn't worth visiting again.

One last shot of Grassy Knoll and Mt. Hood.

We saw SO many wildflowers on this hike!

The wildflowers and views on this hike were awesome, but the roller coaster trail was not. There was elevation gain in both directions, including the last few miles before reaching the car, when I was most tired. I was totally wiped after this hike, but I'm glad we did it. I've been wanting to do it for awhile.

Totals:
11 miles
2850 elevation gain
7 hours

One last thing: we saw a large herd of elk hanging out alongside the Wind River Highway, right at the junction with Bear Creek Road. They were unfazed by all the passing traffic, but as soon as we pulled over to take some pictures, they started melting into the woods. We could hear them bugling through the trees. COOL.

hlee

Re: Grassy Knoll & Big Huckleberry Mountain

Post by hlee » July 8th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Those are particularly lovely photos, justpeachy. I'm going to have to save this trail for further research. It sounds like a pleasant all day trip, up-and-down trail notwithstanding. Thanks for the TR!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 8th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Great trip report!
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

romann

Post by romann » July 8th, 2012, 9:45 pm

I hiked there with my parents on Sat. - beautiful hike. We too stopped to watch the elk on the way back at Wind River Hwy; this time they went out on the open meadow.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 9th, 2012, 5:29 pm

I think all that wind gave you those beautiful clouds, which really added a lot to your landscape shots! I was up there on the 4th, and the sky was no where near as cool. And from Big Huck, Jefferson was fully visible but Hood was almost completely obscured - totally weird! Later, as I zoomed and panned about in Google Earth, I really started to feel there was somewhere else on that peak that would've offered a northward view towards MSH, too. But I didn't see it that day. (No mention of biting flies, either? That wind was a blessing, methinks!)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 10th, 2012, 7:01 am

(No mention of biting flies, either? That wind was a blessing, methinks!)
Good point. We had no bugs at all, thanks to the wind, so that was definitely a blessing!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 10th, 2012, 8:04 am

justpeachy wrote:
(No mention of biting flies, either? That wind was a blessing, methinks!)
Good point. We had no bugs at all, thanks to the wind, so that was definitely a blessing!
My legs are still (6 days later) showing the abuse those little bloodsuckers imparted!
Karl

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 10th, 2012, 6:57 pm

I also just did this trail, but your pictures are much better than mine!

*I've hiked the trail every so often for the past three decades. The road is as it always was, no better no worse. Some of those potholes do take you by surprise, though. And you have to slow down considerably, making the drive quite long for a place that is geographically fairly close.

*Yes, I did get my blood sucked by a biting fly, but it lost its life in the attempt.

*The bloom is at its peak, but will be going off from now. This is a great flower hike in July. I'm guessing I ID'd at least 100 species.

*Enjoyed the two-mile lope through the woods to Big Huckleberry. Too many stops and starts in the meadows and I needed some aerobic exercise.

*This used to be the old route of the Pacific Crest Trail coming up from Augspurger Mt. There's still a trail clearly leading in that direction from the parking area, but I've never been motivated to follow it. Wonder if anyone out there has?

hlee

Post by hlee » July 11th, 2012, 5:01 am

bobcat wrote:*The bloom is at its peak, but will be going off from now. This is a great flower hike in July. I'm guessing I ID'd at least 100 species.
So for a normal person, maybe 10-20 species... :lol:

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 11th, 2012, 5:34 am

bobcat wrote:*Enjoyed the two-mile lope through the woods to Big Huckleberry. Too many stops and starts in the meadows and I needed some aerobic exercise.
Oh yeah! Miles 1.0 (or 1.5?) to 4.0 were a stroll in the park. The woods offered some relief from the sensory overload, and a chance to feel like there was some conditioning involved! :lol: I really kicked it into gear on the way back. At least until I emerged from the woods again. Heh...
bobcat wrote:*This used to be the old route of the Pacific Crest Trail coming up from Augspurger Mt. There's still a trail clearly leading in that direction from the parking area, but I've never been motivated to follow it. Wonder if anyone out there has?
Can't remember where, but I heard the NFS would like to re-establish that trail, but "presently lacks the funds" to do so. Too familiar. :(
Karl