Silver Star, July 2, 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Gray Jay

Re: Silver Star, July 2, 2012

Post by Gray Jay » July 5th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I did my annual hike of Silver Star today, starting from the Road 4109 trailhead (north approach), up Ed's Trail on the east side of the ridge, then to the summit for lunch, and down the Silver Star Trail on the west side of the ridge.

It was a glorious day, with views of snow-covered volcanoes from the Three Sisters north to Mount Rainier. All the usual flower species were blooming, although this is not a big Bear Grass year on Silver Star. No sign of the mountain goat, and no wonder...

The Road 4109 parking area was overflowing. There were people EVERYWHERE! Approaching the summit from all directions, including Bluff Mountain; standing on top of every rock outcrop. There must have been a couple of hundred people on the mountain today.

On my return hike, I heard gun shots off to the west on DNR land. At the junction with the Chinook Trail coming up from Kloochman Rock, I encountered three guys coming up that way carrying paraglider packs. They intended to climb up on the ridge and ride the afternoon thermals.

hlee

Post by hlee » July 6th, 2012, 6:54 am

Yikes, that's a lot of people for a Thursday. :o Beautiful weather notwithstanding. Also, mountain goat?! Really! That's awesome!! How long since that's been seen there?

Reckless, awesome map! Definitely saving to Favorites.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Reckless

Post by Reckless » July 7th, 2012, 9:24 pm

On my return hike, I heard gun shots off to the west on DNR land. At the junction with the Chinook Trail coming up from Kloochman Rock, I encountered three guys coming up that way carrying paraglider packs. They intended to climb up on the ridge and ride the afternoon thermals.
I was up there during the late afternoon and got to see them in action. They were launching and landing from the lower saddle underneath that big plateau that rises up right before the main path enters the trees. Sure looked like a lot of fun, I can think of no better place to take flight!

I love that map. Its nothing like a hard-core topo map, but it sure helps you to get your bearings!
Better to live in the wild - feel it, smell it, see it - and do something real that succeeds. - Jack Turner