Eightmile Creek Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Eightmile Creek Loop

Post by bobcat » July 2nd, 2012, 12:48 pm

The Barlow District of the Mt. Hood National Forest lies east of the Hood River drainage in the Cascades transition zone. Here western hemlock, red-cedar and Douglas-fir meet ponderosa pine,
Engelmann spruce, western larch, and east-slope grand fir. The area is also characterized by a large number of hydric (wet) and xeric (dry) meadows that support an interesting transitional flora. There are a number of old clearcuts along the trails as well as the decaying remains of thousands of diseased conifers from outbreaks of spruce budworm, which usually follow east-side drought cycles.

The top end of the Eightmile Loop begins off FR 44 on Spur 120. This is also the trailhead for the Knebal Springs and Bottle Prairie Trails. I spent about 40 minutes poking around the edges of lush Bottle Prairie itself before heading up the Bottle Prairie Trail.
Flower crab spider on elephant's head lousewort, Bottle Prairie.jpg
White false hellbore (Veratrum californicum), Bottle Prairie.jpg
Tawny horkelia (Horkelia fusca), Bottle Prairie.jpg
I passed through a xeric meadow and then the Eightmile turnoff to continue as far as Perry Point to get views south to Flag Point and Tygh Ridge and east to the rolling Columbia Plateau.
Xeric meadow, Bottle Prairie Trail.jpg
Scarlet gilia (Ipomopsis aggregata), Bottle Prairie Trail.jpg
View to Flag Point, Perry Point.jpg
The Eightmile Loop Trail itself rises through forest and glades and then drops to cross a road with the Fivemile Ridge looming ahead. I scrambled up to the ridge here on loose andesite flagstones to get a great view north to Hood, St. Helens, Rainier and Adams.
Forked ponderosa, Bottle Prairie Trail.jpg
Andesite fin, Fivemile Butte.jpg
The trail continues below the ridge crest on its south side and rises to a junction. Here I turned left and visited the Fivemile Lookout, one of those towers which caters to overnighters at $50/day with all the amenities: woodshed, outhouse, picnic table and fire circle. This incarnation of the structure is about 55 years old.
Rosy pussytoes (Antennaria rosea), Fivemile Butte.jpg
Fivemile Lookout, Fivemile Butte.jpg
Mts. Rainier and Adams from Fivemile Butte.jpg
From the lookout, the trail drops down the nose of the ridge through thinned forest and an old clearcut, making wide, sweeping loops to accommodate mountain bikers, who use the paths in this area much more than hikers (and it is thanks to the mountain biking community that these trails are logged out in the spring and regularly repaired). The route enters shady forest again and reaches the bottom end of the Eightmile Loop. I continued east from this point, however, to cross FR 4430 and enter the Eightmile Campground.

Walking through the campground area, I searched out the “interpretive trail” I had seen on maps. It begins on a level graveled tread opposite Campsite 14 and crosses Eightmile Creek twice on large, stocky, unfinished footbridges. Most of the blowdown on the trail has been removed, but I saw no sign of interpretive markers. It seems this trail is in the process of a facelift. After a mile or so, it reaches the Lower Eightmile Forest Camp.
New footbridge, Interpretive Trail, Eightmile Creek.jpg
Tall mountain mertensia (Mertensia paniculata), Eightmile Creek.jpg
I returned to the bottom of the Eightmile Loop, met the only other trail user of my day, a biker, and headed up in dry, shady woods above Eightmile Creek. The trail passed an old clearcut redolent of blooming snow brush and crossed the creek once before reaching the trailhead at Bottle Prairie.
Red miner's lettuce (Claytonia rubra rubra), Eightmile Creek.jpg
Eightmile Creek on Lower Eightmile Creek Loop.jpg
This is a short loop: 6.2 miles; with my extensions to Perry Point and the “interpretive” trail, the hike was about 10 miles total.

Note: An excellent botanizing day would be catching 100 species in bloom. I identified 97, so it was a fair haul anyway.

retired jerry

Re: Eightmile Creek Loop

Post by retired jerry » July 2nd, 2012, 1:23 pm

Nice report and pics

I've camped at 8 Mile Campground and hiked all around there - a little drier than here

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » July 3rd, 2012, 4:45 pm

And for fun, along the interpretive trail count how many conifer species you can find.... I count at least 10. I think Pacific Yew is along the creek but didn't find any...that would be 11. Incredible eastside transition zone.

Lodgepole, white, ponderosa pine; mountain and western hemlock, Douglas-fir, Engleman spruce, western larch, grand fir, western redcedar.

Also on the Barlow district is whitebark pine, silver, noble and subalpine fir, junipers and incense cedar. 17 species in all.

Koda

Post by Koda » July 3rd, 2012, 5:55 pm

thanks for posting, its good to see this trail in good condition. I've mt biked it for years, its a really fun ride/loop well suited for beginners and a great add-on to the Knebal Springs loop. Perry Point is a great lookout off the beaten path and the lookout tower is a good snack spot with great views. One of my favorite places in the forest.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 4th, 2012, 2:35 pm

@trailupdater: Check on all those conifer species, except for the incense cedar: Where do those hang out in the Mt. Hood N.F.?

trailupdater

Post by trailupdater » July 4th, 2012, 4:51 pm

Try this: 45° 10.688'N 121° 24.975'W. Take the 48 road west past Rock Creek Reservoir. Go 2.5 miles past Rock Creek Res. The 4800-170 road is to the left (south). Take the 170 for about 3/4 mile and you'll be in the midst of them, some large for incense cedar. Also, there is one lone IC on the north end of the district (45° 22.629'N 121° 28.496'W) off of the 4450 road. It is at a logging landing so my guess is a log truck brought a seed in? Definitely not IC habitat up that high.