6/30/12 Gales Creek Trail is finally fully open!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

6/30/12 Gales Creek Trail is finally fully open!

Post by mileagemike25000 » June 30th, 2012, 7:17 pm

We needed a short hike that was close to home as we needed to get back on the early side. We decided to try the Gales Creek Trail as all indications were that it was open, or supposed to be.

This is the first time we have taken a hike here when the campground was open, so we drove down and parked next to the TH.
1 Gales Creek TH_(1).JPG
We crossed the first bridge over a small stream.
2 First Bridge_(1).JPG
After about 0.8miles we came to the second larger stream crossing where there is a very nice bridge.
3 Second Bridge_(1).JPG
Just across this bridge is a sign that indicates the directions toward the different trails. Left to Storey Burn Trail and right to continue the Gales Creek Trail.
4 Turn right to continue Gales Creek Trail_(1).JPG
Turning right you will finally see the trail open sign! :) FINALLY! We have seen an orange ribbon and trail closure sign here for the past 2-3years!
5 YES - It's finally open!!!_(1).JPG
If you read closely you will see that there is still about 1 week before the horses are allowed on the trail. :( I definitely recommend hiking this trail, if possible, before then as the trail is very clean. However, there were about a half dozen bikes on the trail that have started to affect the surface in the wet areas.

The forest service did an excellent job of cleaning, grading and repairing the trail! :)
6 Trail very clean_(1).JPG
And here is the section that had to be re-routed to avoid the washout on this stream. My understanding is that this is the area where a worker died when trying to remove the rock using dynamite? :(
7 Area where dynamite was used to route new trail_(1).JPG
8 2nd picture of new trail around damage from stream_(1).JPG
Continuing on the trail there were some nice views of Gales Creek! The water level sure looks quite low.
9 Creek water level is very low_(1).JPG
10 Nice view of Gales Creek_(1).JPG
Some more pictures of the excellent work done to clear and grade the storm damaged section of the trail that hasn't been used in years! :o
11 Re-opened trail looking good!_(1).JPG
12 More trail work_(1).JPG
13 More of re-opened trail_(1).JPG
We finally needed to turn around before we reached Bell Camp Road. However, I have no doubt that the remaining trail is in excellent shape! Please note that the trail is a bit muddy, with bike tire tracks, for the first mile or so. However, the trail conditions improve the further out you get from the campground.

Also note that there were very few hikers and bikers on the trail for a Saturday in the summer! :)

On the way back I took a last picture of Gales Creek at the bridge before the Campground.
14 Gales Creek at campground_(1).JPG
The hike was 8.6miles with an elevation gain of about 700ft.
15 Gales Creek Hike.JPG

Crusak

Re: 6/30/12 Gales Creek Trail is finally fully open!

Post by Crusak » June 30th, 2012, 10:43 pm

Nice TR and hike, mike! I've only hiked in that area once, and it was a mudbowl. I did a superman dive-fall flat on my face about 200 yds into it. :lol: The trail looks like it's in great shape now though. Thanks for sharing your trip, photos, and update!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mileagemike25000

Re: 6/30/12 Gales Creek Trail is finally fully open!

Post by mileagemike25000 » July 1st, 2012, 5:35 am

Jim - Thanks! Hopefully I wasn't misleading but there is still a bit of mud on the trail, primarily on the first mile or so. There are even a few spots that are quite bad, but it's not a solid skating rink. ;) However, it improves greatly after the second bridge (there hasn't been traffic on this section in years) and even more so further out. I'm not sure how long this will last given that there is now bike traffic with horses soon to follow? In my opinion this trail is a great hike in the winter when it is covered in a light dusting of snow and the ground is frozen solid! :)