Wilson River Trail - Footbridge to Jones Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Boozeman

Wilson River Trail - Footbridge to Jones Creek

Post by Boozeman » June 25th, 2012, 9:47 pm

It's been a LOOOONG time since I've done a trip report. I'll try not to make too many mistakes. :lol:

I decided to head out to Tillamook State Forest today and do some hiking along the Wilson River. I haven't seen a lot of trip reports from out this way, so I figured I'd do my own and see if I can get some more people out there. Granted, it lacks a lot of the jaw dropping "WOW" factor that the Gorge or the mountains have, but it's got a quaint charm to it...and it's a lot shorter drive for me than those other places. At any rate...the trip started out in pretty dismal form. The closer I got to the trail head the harder it started raining. Not a great start. I stopped at the Tillamook Forestry Center, which was on the way, and waited out the worst of the downpour inside. There's some really great displays about forestry and logging back in the old days and a lookout tower outside. If you're on your way to the coast or one of the trails nearby you should check it out. When the monsoon slowed to a gentle drizzle I decided to put on the raincoat and try to salvage the day. As it turned out that was a good thought. The rain stopped about halfway through my hike and I was treated to some sun and blue skies for the rest of the day. I headed out on the Footbridge Trail with a few miscues due to the actual trail being a little tough to find. Lots of little fishermen and camper trails around the river to throw you off. Finally I got myself back on track and headed into the wild green yonder. The trail was still in surprisingly good condition for just getting rained on and I was the only one on it. Ironically this part of the Wilson River Trail barely goes near the river. It's pretty much all woods all the way with a few glimpses of the river through the trees now and then. Still a nice little trail though.
Attachments
WR1.JPG
Pretty much the only time you get a good look at the Wilson River is at the Footbridge at the beginning of the trail.
WR9.JPG
There were Rough Skinned Newts aplenty the whole way up and back. I moved five or six of them off the trail because they blend into the trail color a little too well and I didn't want to accidentally stomp on them.
WR3.JPG
I hiked the trail up to Wilson River Falls. It wasn't even on the map at the trail head. It washed out part of the trail below it but it's still cross-able if you don't mind getting a little wet.
WR10.JPG
There is just a stunning hue of green that you only get in the Springtime.
WR8.JPG
There were a few Tiger Lilies blooming as well as some other favorites. Nothing like up in the mountains but still pretty awesome.
WR13.JPG
Lots of Foxglove in the area. It's so pretty it almost makes you forget that it can kill you.
WR12.JPG
I think this is also Foxglove but I've never seen this particular species before. It's almost the exact opposite of the purple flower with white spots.
WR5.JPG
This is a really nice "Woodsy" trail. Lots to see if you're a fan of the color green.
WR7.JPG
Across the road from the Footbridge is a hard to see side trail that leads to Bridge Creek Falls. The trail is thick with Salmonberry plants so bring your machete. Or you could just cover your face and barrel through like me. A few scratches is a small price to pay for this view.

Crusak

Re: Wilson River Trail - Footbridge to Jones Creek

Post by Crusak » June 25th, 2012, 10:52 pm

I love the WRT. It's been a few weeks since I was up there. It looks like the wildflowers are coming out nicely over there. Time to go check out the Elk Creek Trail and see what's blooming.

That white foxglove is interesting, isn't it? I saw that last year on the WRT. I like your comment about the necessity of liking green to hike the Coast Range trails. I'm rather fond of it. :) But growing up in Bakersfield, CA and Colorado Springs, CO (very dry, nothing grows in those places) I was amazed when my family moved to NW Oregon 31 years ago. It's like a wonderland paradise. :)

Good to see someone hitting this trail. It's my favorite of that area.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

hlee

Re: Wilson River Trail - Footbridge to Jones Creek

Post by hlee » June 29th, 2012, 6:53 pm

That second to last picture is truly gorgeous! Like you said, there's just that certain shade of green that says "spring in Oregon". :mrgreen:

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot