Dodging Bears in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness 8-9 Jun 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
texasbb

Dodging Bears in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness 8-9 Jun 2012

Post by texasbb » June 10th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Some people hike for years without seeing a bear in the wild, so I'm feeling awfully special after seeing five on one trip.

Two weeks ago (Memorial Day weekend) I spent a couple days in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness. This weekend I went back with a friend and we did essentially the same route. The big difference, of course, was the wildlife. We apparently timed it perfectly for the bears foraging up high in the big meadows. The Indian Corral area has numerous ridgetop meadows that go on for miles. All the bears we saw were in these meadows above 5500 ft or so.

There's a full picture set if you're interested, and you can see my previous report for most of the scenery.

We got an early start Friday, leaving the Tri-Cities at 5:30. We were on the Panjab Trail by 8:00. We reached the Indian Corral area by 11:00. This signpost marks the junction where Panjab Trail, Rattlesnake Trail, and Mt Misery Trail meet. The meadow behind Scott here would be where we saw two of the bears, one each day we were up there.

Compared to Memorial Day the meadows were considerably yellower:

After setting up camp to drop some of our load, we headed south on the Mt Misery Trail to Oregon Butte. Shortly after leaving the big meadows and entering forest you get a nice long distance view to the lookout on the Butte.

I got a better shot of the big cornice up by the lookout this time:

On our trip back, as we were about to emerge from the forest into the meadow, I took it slow and quiet in case there were elk or other wildlife for the viewing. My wish came true as I peered through the final trees:

We eased out into the edge of the meadow and watch this guy/gal for five or ten minutes:

We finally eased away and across the meadow toward the main Indian Corral junction. Not more than 5 or 10 minutes later we saw an interesting speck about a half mile away, back behind that original trail sign:

The next morning we packed up and headed out toward the Rattlesnake Trail.

Just a few yards past the signpost, I saw this guy foraging over near the meadow's edge:

#3 ambled into the woods before I could get a very good shot of him, so we continued on, enjoying the many nice views the Rattlesnake Trail offers:

Shortly before Rattlesnake leaves the high meadows and hits the ridge bewteen the Panjab and Tucannon drainages, we flushed a few elk, one of which had a fairly impressive rack. They were gone before I could get my camera up, but we continued moving on high alert, just in case we caught another glimpse. Well, we got a glimpse, but not of the elk.

While we were preoccupied snapping shots of that one, for reasons I'll never understand, Scott looked away from our subject. "Whoa, look over there," I heard in an urgent whisper. The closest one yet was to our left and a little behind:

What an exhilarating dilemma! Which one do I point the camera at? We stood there in the middle of the meadow, right between these two locals, for several minutes, burning up memory chips and adrenaline. #5 was slowly ambling our direction, so we eventually yelled at him--didn't want him on our tail when we finally headed on down the trail.

What an incredible blessing!

weathercrazy

Re: Dodging Bears in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness 8-9 Jun

Post by weathercrazy » June 10th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Wow...those are awesome pics!

Peder

Post by Peder » June 10th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Superb! That is obviously a very successful trip. Not being a bear expert, I wish to check: You saw both black and grizzly bears?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

hlee

Post by hlee » June 10th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Peder wrote:Superb! That is obviously a very successful trip. Not being a bear expert, I wish to check: You saw both black and grizzly bears?
I don't believe Oregon has grizzlies (thank goodness). Just black bears. But black bears can also be brown in color, so you have that moment of "what the--!"

This site has good info: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/liv ... _bears.asp

"Oregon is black bear country. Although native to the area, there are no longer grizzly bears in the state. The last grizzly bear recorded was killed in the late 1930s at Billy Meadows, north of Enterprise in Wallowa County. However, because black bears are often brown, people sometimes wonder what species of bear they have seen."

----

That's amazing texasbb! I feel like I would be quite blessed to see a bear in the wild. But I'm also quite sure I'd pee my pants too, so I'll just live vicariously through your photos, lol.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 10th, 2012, 7:24 pm

hlee wrote:
Peder wrote:Superb! That is obviously a very successful trip. Not being a bear expert, I wish to check: You saw both black and grizzly bears?
I don't believe Oregon has grizzlies (thank goodness). Just black bears. But black bears can also be brown in color, so you have that moment of "what the--!"
Yes, as hlee says, all five were black bears. It's an unfortunate name for the species, so many of them aren't black. (Unlike hlee says, this was in Washington, not Oregon. :lol: )
hlee wrote:That's amazing texasbb! I feel like I would be quite blessed to see a bear in the wild. But I'm also quite sure I'd pee my pants too, so I'll just live vicariously through your photos, lol.
I'm still a little giddy even today. My son has already started rolling his eyes at me when I remind him that I saw FIVE bears on one trip. :D

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » June 10th, 2012, 7:37 pm

The light brown one is a cinnamon bear! (Does that broadcast still run at Christmas time?) Of course they are all "black" bears. You can't tell bear species by the color. "Black bear" is an extremely misleading species name!

For distinguishing black bears from grizzly bears, here is the Montana Fish and Game training and test site: http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/default.html If you're going into the North Cascades of Washington, this is a useful site to peruse. A lot of the so-called grizz sightings have really been large black bears, although a very few have been confirmed as grizz.

Wonderful pictures, and how thrilling to see so many bears in one trip!

hlee

Post by hlee » June 10th, 2012, 7:45 pm

texasbb wrote:Yes, as hlee says, all five were black bears. It's an unfortunate name for the species, so many of them aren't black. (Unlike hlee says, this was in Washington, not Oregon. :lol: )
*sniff* It doesn't matter what state I am in, as long as I know which kind of bear it is and whether I need to run or play dead. ;)

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

texasbb

Post by texasbb » June 10th, 2012, 8:16 pm

hlee wrote:
texasbb wrote:Yes, as hlee says, all five were black bears. It's an unfortunate name for the species, so many of them aren't black. (Unlike hlee says, this was in Washington, not Oregon. :lol: )
*sniff* It doesn't matter what state I am in, as long as I know which kind of bear it is and whether I need to run or play dead. ;)
Not to hijak my own thread, but I've always wondered why the highest point in the Washington Blues was named after Oregon. Why'd we give up the bragging rights?! :?

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 10th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Spectacular! Great adrenaline filled report. That's a lot of bears. What kind of precautions, if any, did you take with your food? Did you use canisters or hang your food?

Looks like a great area to visit in early summer!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

hlee

Post by hlee » June 10th, 2012, 8:33 pm

texasbb wrote: Not to hijak my own thread, but I've always wondered why the highest point in the Washington Blues was named after Oregon. Why'd we give up the bragging rights?! :?
If it makes you feel any better, I live in a town (in Oregon) named for a mountain in Washington.

Hannah

-- T.S. Eliot