Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKES

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
surfgypsy

Re: Latourell Falls Closed: THEY WILL CHASE YOU ON DIRT BIKE

Post by surfgypsy » June 8th, 2012, 5:49 pm

CalifOregonian wrote:Just curious...is a stun gun or taser sufficient to get through the layers of clothing worn by motocross riders?

You may want to invest in something a little more heavy duty, like a German Shepherd. Or, maybe something of higher caliber that requires less maintenance. This may seem old-fashioned, and I'm neither old nor fashionable, but before going into a wilderness alone, I'd make my wife (as if anything she does is up to me) either:

1. Carry something that can stop a crazy in their tracks
2. Go with a friend
3. Bring something that bites and distracts (not an option for us yet...college/apartment/busy)

The Gorge is not without its crazy locals. I have relatives with the mentality that their backyards include any public land around them, and they have a sense of entitlement about their "rights" within it, although they love to gloat about their carelessness and misuse of the land they love.

FYI, you can definitely avoid dirt bags/bikes (and crowds) if you head to steeper sections of the Gorge. And, if you find yourself missing the adrenaline of running away from people, the Catwalk on Ruckle Ridge might be a good place for Natarajasana (Dancer's Pose), for an adventurous yogi like yourself.

I'm glad that you are okay, short of the residual bitterness and resentment that can shape future experiences. I hope that you return to the lovely Gorge in the future.

Hey thanks for your genuine care & concerns . . . another gal e-mailed me with the same worries and yes, I know I should not hike alone (but have done so my entire life). I just finished backpacking South America solo for several months and this worried and angered certain family members and friends. My boyfriend supported my journey as it was a completely necessary journey of healing. My doctors seconded that . . . another long story.

I do fully realize the potential risk of heading out alone as a small female (whether in a kayak, surfing, travelling, running, hiking, you name it) and I suppose I just chose not to live in fear, or I am just senseless. Often times, when I pass through Portland it is during the week or at odd times (as I have a flexible work schedule) and friends are not always available to accompany me or they are just not the hiker types they profess to be. So many of my Portland friends claim to be grand outdoor enthusiasts but it is all I can do to get them to go for a hike, let alone backpacking or paddling. I still love them.

I usually prefer the steeper, longer trails as well, but was exhausted by the time I hit the Gorge on Tuesday, and just wanted some short, easy hikes and space to clear my head, plus I didn’t see anyone else. Sometimes one just craves the space alone. That is why I was not at some of the other nearby locations. I had worked out heavily the day before and was pooped. So much for the deep breathing and serenity at Latourell Falls. I am spoiled living where I do on the coast . . . I literally have miles and miles to myself most days. I have run into human oddities before while hiking the Columbia River Gorge, namely tweekers and dirtbags.

I too doubt the stun gun would stop any seriously malicious individuals but it may be a small deterrent. It has come in handy in the past. I’d rather not have a concealed weapon because handguns in particular freak me out. I think it is responsible on my part to say hey, I’m too nervous to own one. Again, I am here for a few more days caring for a friend’s older, special needs pooch who is like my god dog . . . love him dearly and he is a great buddy, but he is one lazy, old dog. Needless to say, anything over a half mile would probably do him in. My two pit bull kids are home on the coast. They are complete lovers, but would do anything to protect mama, and yes they are with me 99% of the time.

I can tell you I’ve been through far worse. I am not losing sleep over it. A few local punks out for a good ride . . . I will certainly hike the Columbia River Gorge again in the future.

Thanks again for the advice and sincerity.

All the best to you and your wife.

-Em