Table Rock, May 27, 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
DerWanderer

Table Rock, May 27, 2012

Post by DerWanderer » May 27th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Hiked Table Rock today for the first time, and left wondering why I hadn't taken the time to explore that area sooner. Table Rock is a worthy destination, and I hope to return on a day when Cascade peaks are more visible. The convoluted driving route to the trailhead from Molalla was a little intimidating for the first time, but now that I know how to get there, it doesn't seem so bad, and the drive is very scenic and a refreshing change from the routine of driving I-84 or US-26 to get to hiking destinations.

Lots of snow is still lingering in the area. There were substantial patches on the road and on the lower part of the trail. Above 4000' on the traverse around the north side of the summit, the snow became the rule rather than the exception. The boulder field on the west side of the summit was mostly covered in snow, soft enough for good steps, but not so soft that snowshoes were necessary. The good snow conditions made the traverse across the boulder field easy. The trail between the boulder field and the summit trail junction was mostly melted out, as was the summit trail. On the summit, clouds hid the major Cascade stratovolcanos, but we were able to spot distant Three Fingered Jack and Mt. Washington.

The snow-covered boulder field:

Traversing below the cliffs:

Looking toward the summit of Table Rock:

The view down onto the boulder field from the top

Stopping along the road to admire "The Eye," an unusual basalt formation along the Molalla River

Attachments
2012-05-27-table-rock-gpstrack.jpg
GPS track, with stats below the map

Aridd

Re: Table Rock, May 27, 2012

Post by Aridd » May 28th, 2012, 11:27 am

thanks for the trip report. And I agree, cool area. I have been hiking table rock atleast once and year for about 7 years.

renegadepilgrim

Re: Table Rock, May 27, 2012

Post by renegadepilgrim » May 28th, 2012, 11:44 am

Nice trail report...I've been thinking about exploring more down in that area...seems like there are some cool spots to hike.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim