Coldwater Lake and South Coldwater Loop: 4-28-12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Coldwater Lake and South Coldwater Loop: 4-28-12

Post by Sean Thomas » April 28th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Jojomachine and myself parked at the Coldwater Boat Launch this morning to hike the Lakes trail(#211)in the Mount St. Helens Nat. Monument. It was elk city out there as we made our way east on 504 to the TH and even more so as we hiked the Lakes trail next to Coldwater Lake. The sun came out for most of the morning and looked good early on from the shores of Coldwater:

Sunrise from the 504:

St Helens never peeked out from behind the clouds much more than this:

Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center perched on the hill in the early morning blue sky:

There were a few fun crossings:

Beaver Dam:

Coldwater Creek:

Awesome bridge over Coldwater Creek with Jo:

The view from the bridge and above on the ridge line:

From the Lakes trail we could see south coldwater ridge across the lake and noted how much snow seemed to have melted off since Roy's visit a few weeks back. We made the decision to make a loop using the Coldwater Trail(#230), South Coldwater Trail(#230A) and a short section of hwy 504 instead of backtracking the Lakes trail. Once we reached about 3200 ft or so on the Coldwater Trail we hit snow on off but never sank more than a few inches. Following the trail wasnt too hard watching for the corridor and cut logs/twigs and the many posts that line the trail. Things slowed down a bit with the trail breaking in the snow for a few miles but I was really impressed with our pace and ability to stay on track. Many sections of the trail were totally obscured in several feet of snow and others were almost melted out:

Here is our route with red arrows marking our direction, the red dot is the startingpoint at the Coldwater Rec Area and Boat Launch:

We saw two kinds of grouse today. It seemed like they were everywhere, only out numbered by the massive amounts of elk.

Soon enough and we were on the South Coldwater Trail viewing the lake from high above:

And the old logging equipment that a took a big time beating over 30 years ago:

After we got back to the boat launch area we drove back over to the Hummocks Trail and I got to hike the short 2.5 - 3 mile loop complete with several nice interpretive signs. The hummocks trail was amazing and although ive heard it busy i only saw one family on the loop. Truly an impressive sight but my camera died at the boundary trail intersection so I have a good excuse to go back :D

airoff

Re: Coldwater Lake and South Coldwater Loop: 4-28-12

Post by airoff » April 28th, 2012, 11:31 pm

Gorgeous photos! I enjoy reading your trip reports. It's so beautiful up there!

Roy

Post by Roy » April 29th, 2012, 4:44 am

sean that's an awesome report its cool Jo goes with you my wife went from day one it kind of cements a relationship. watch out our 34th is this year :o
those morning photos are awesome that's when you see elk.the snow really melted in a couple of weeks.

had i known i would have bagged Silver Star and the snow floundering.

great place so peaceful and a great report as always :!:

Take care you two --- Tom
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 29th, 2012, 7:44 pm

You two always seem to have a ton of fun. :) Looks like heading a bit north and east got you some decently clear skies on Saturday. I wish my wife or daughter would consider going with me on a hike. That'd be sweet!

Great TR Sean and Jojo.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Peder

Post by Peder » April 29th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Congratulations to Jojo, she is one tough hiker. That is not an easy loop with snow. It is one of my favorite areas. Great photos and cool photos Sean!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » April 29th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Peder wrote: That is not an easy loop with snow. It is one of my favorite areas.
i agree
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Jane

Post by Jane » April 30th, 2012, 6:06 am

Such a beautiful and interesting area, thanks for your report and photos of this time of year there!

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 30th, 2012, 7:55 pm

:) Thanks airoff and Jane, it was a great hike :)

Thanks Tom, your pictures and reports from the monument and mt margaret backcountry last year motivated me to go. I went to the observatory when I was really young but cant remember much about the trip. The few times ive been up since reading your reports have been amazing. Congrats on the 34th and for you and your wife being such awesome hikers, it definitely strengthens the bond :)

Thanks Jim and Peder, Joie is a tough one thats for sure and was really loving the area too. I had planned to just go up the Lakes Trail until the snow became too great. In Roys report it sounded like going 5 miles from the boat ramp to the other side of the lake would be no problem so I figured at least a 10 miler and maybe more. When I told her about the loop option she was all ears and good to go. The sunny weather was awesome early on but the clouds rolled in around mid morning and sat above us all day long. The alarm went off at 3:30 am to get out early enough so we were happy to see the early morning sunshine:)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » April 30th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Dang! You guys :) Sweeeeeet...Bammmmola!!!

Mr Mayhem cannot get out, while all his TFFs, PH'ers you know who you are if you hiked with me even once :) All of you rubing in the great hikes.... Keep it up......Whoooooohooooo!!! Echo, echo, echo, echo
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Roy

Post by Roy » April 30th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Sean Thomas wrote::) Thanks airoff and Jane, it was a great hike :)

Thanks Tom, your pictures and reports from the monument and mt margaret backcountry last year motivated me to go. I went to the observatory when I was really young but cant remember much about the trip. The few times ive been up since reading your reports have been amazing. Congrats on the 34th and for you and your wife being such awesome hikers, it definitely strengthens the bond :)

Thanks Jim and Peder, Joie is a tough one thats for sure and was really loving the area too. I had planned to just go up the Lakes Trail until the snow became too great. In Roys report it sounded like going 5 miles from the boat ramp to the other side of the lake would be no problem so I figured at least a 10 miler and maybe more. When I told her about the loop option she was all ears and good to go. The sunny weather was awesome early on but the clouds rolled in around mid morning and sat above us all day long. The alarm went off at 3:30 am to get out early enough so we were happy to see the early morning sunshine:)
Sean if you and jo do not mind driving farther north try the tatoosh range in MRNP most likely you will want to spend the night high peaks to and awesome place to visit in the fall.my friends and i were talking the other day and we hope to go late summer i will try to get a tr out if we go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatoosh_Range

it is a great place easy trail acesss just a couple of peaks require climbing skills but strong hikers like you two can traverse several walk up peaks in one day great place. or enjoy the meadows . i think they made part of it a wildermess area one might need to check regulations

(dam i am giving away my secrets) :lol:

I always go there in the fall lot less crowed than the tourist trails in the park, the peaks run around 6,000 ft so it has a short season.

roy