Silver Star, Star Falls & Sturgeon Rock - 04/15/2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Silver Star, Star Falls & Sturgeon Rock - 04/15/2012

Post by Guy » April 16th, 2012, 7:24 pm

During the Spring, Sundays are my only option for hiking so when you get the promise of a dry & sunny Sunday it's like wining the lottery! I was in the mood to do something with a bit of adventure & danger thrown in so who better to meet up with than Don Nelson for a hike up Silver Star ;) ..

As the Crow Flies I live 19 miles from the Summit of Silver Star but it's over 50 miles by road!

We set off for the Grouse Vista Trailhead & almost made it all the way having to park on the side of the road about a quarter of a mile below the parking area.

We were quite well behaved at first & actually stayed on the trail as far as Pyramid Rock but then decided it would be more fun to go over the top of Pyramid Rock & follow the ridge line up rather than staying on the trail. We checked out a cool rock fissure on the way up then climbed down the other side.

Image Image

We then continued along the ridge line until we met the 180 trail were we saw a fresh pair of snow shoe tracks & a lone hiker up ahead nearing the summit of Star Two, we set off in the same direction.

From the Summit of Little Silver Star or Star 2 we could see the lone hiker that had been in front of us at the Summit, it turned out to be fellow Portland Hiker Van Marmot!

There were great views in all directions from the Summit including Sturgeon Rock which was also on our list for the day.

Image Image

After a lunch time chat with Bruce & the one other hiker that was up there we headed for Star Falls, these are below the Summit on the North Side of Silver Star & required an off trail excursion down into the upper levels of the canyon.

Along the way we found this large Snow Wheel but it looked like it had been there for quite a while & so we were not too worried about any potential avalanche.

We continued on following the creek to the top of the Falls.

Getting to this point more than satisfied the danger requirement for the hike ;) .. I really needed to be 4 steps closer to get a good pic of the falls but my self preservation alert had activated & I wasn't going any closer to the edge!

Image Image

From the Falls we had to slog back up & out of the Canyon, this was tough going, the snow was pretty soft by now & with each upwards step we were also lifting about a pound of snow that was always on top of our snow shoes!

We eventually stumbled onto the final section of Ed's Trail & headed for the junction with the Silver Star Trail.

From this junction we cut off through the trees again to meet up with the 180C Sturgeon Trail. Then once past it's steepest cliffs climbed up the snow bank to get up on top. The top of Sturgeon Rock is a great place to explore!

Image Image

From here we headed down the 180C to it's juction with the Tarbell trail which would take us back to Grouse Vista. This turned into another tough slog, the trail was 70% snow covered but with frequent bare patches in between which meant that we couldn't leave our snow shoes on all the time & since we didn't want to be taking them on & off all the time we packed them away & trudged through the snow in our now wet boots!

One nice surprise, we met a sleepy Porqupine on the trail, he eventually realized we were there & trundled off the trail. Don has some better pics that I'm sure he will add later.

Back at the car we had 9.6 miles & 3100' logged on the Garmin but it felt like a lot more!

A great day out in the woods!

Lots of (as yet) unsorted photos here.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Re: Silver Star, Star Falls & Sturgeon Rock - 04/15/2012

Post by Eric Peterson » April 16th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Very nice guys!

And DN in snow shoes, still have not shoed with Don :)

Looks like Grouse Vista TH is still missing the DP signage...

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 16th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Isn't Grouse Vista a USFS trailhead?

Tyc

Post by Tyc » April 16th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Grouse Vista is not USFS trailhead.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_ ... 6_full.pdf

It falls within the DNR land and requires Discovery Pass. The only reason the Discovery Pass paper saying it is required for the trail head is not up is due to people ripping it down. Since the Discover Pass has been required the sign has been ripped down over 7 times for Grouse Vista. I have seen the Sign been egged, ripped down, vandalized with spray paint, but it always goes back up soon as a ranger/worker gets up there.

Peder

Post by Peder » April 16th, 2012, 8:27 pm

You two had a great day! Thanks for the superb report. Guy - we have short steep hike coming up. Send me a PM when you are available & it is dry.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 16th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification; I guess I won't be hiking there!

Roy

Post by Roy » April 17th, 2012, 2:57 am

how did the small snow shoes work? never used them before i have a couple pair of skies (not pencil thin long ones guys where spandex and use a groomed trail) mine are shorter and fat one pair is quite heavy with the boots,but they ski down on utracsked snow. silver star is a favotite
eapecialy when the snow is good. use skins on the trip up

extremely jealous of your trip and the one my better half did sat, its tough waiting on the sidelines.i got four months to go i am making some progress. hope to be 50% of what i was before this mess.75% is reelly wishfull thinking,

nicej ob guy, Don and van---Tom

never be a loomey like i was i my late twenties and thirties really had enough of that ahywaway ;) .
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 17th, 2012, 5:32 am

Peder wrote:You two had a great day! Thanks for the superb report. Guy - we have short steep hike coming up. Send me a PM when you are available & it is dry.
I'd love to tackle that one again too, I may have missed a better approach when I did it
last year.

Let me know if it's just a 2 man date and I'll bug out! 8-)

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 17th, 2012, 8:00 am

Great report, Guy, and a pleasure to hike with you again!

Here are a few more pics:

Indian Pit Ridge to the east of our route - we could make out VanMarmot's tracks to the left of the summit.

Interesting holes in the snowcover in the canyon north of Silver Star's summit:

Guy getting a shot of the twin falls:

Guy on top of Sturgeon Rock:

Looking straight down at the columns on the east side of Sturgeon Rock:

Most of the Tarbell Trail looked like this:

- Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 17th, 2012, 8:20 am

Sorry, folks, I got thoroughly confused. Per Sullivan, it's the trailhead for Ed's Trail (on the north side) that is the USFS trailhead. Does anyone know anything to the contrary?