The Other Eagle Creek

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
funhog

The Other Eagle Creek

Post by funhog » April 14th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Last Thursday, I headed out Estacada way for my first overnighter of 2012. My goal was the #501 Eagle Creek Trail in the Salmon Huckleberry Wilderness. Finding the trailhead was the biggest challenge. The directions given on the USFS website were totally wonky. If you just follow the turns and street names, ignoring the mileages, you will probably get there. Keep in mind that the last bit along SE Harvey Rd. is actually 2.5 miles, not 1.8 miles that the FS so kindly tells you. Combining Sullivan's directions from the Red Book and the FS directions, I found my way to the unmarked trailhead.

The parking area is at about 2000' and the trail heads downhill to about 1600'. About 3 miles in there are a couple of good campsites right along the river.
5River.jpg
The view from camp
The trail hasn't been brushed out yet so there was a lot of small blowdown but nothing to slow you down. The one large tree I saw down had the good taste to fall away from, not over the trail. There was one small stream crossing that could've been problematic but a large old tree had fallen a few yards downstream, making for a dry crossing.
6Crossing.jpg
too wide and too deep
7Cascade.jpg
looking upstream at the crossing, the opposite direction from the big log
The problem I ran into was the snow starting at about 2100' in the river canyon. It was probably about 5 miles from the trailhead. At first I only sunk to my ankles, then to mid calf. When I started postholing to my knees, I figured it was time to turn around.
8Snow.jpg
Too deep for my wet boots
The night got down into the 30s and didn't break 50 either day. Sprinkles, hail and sunshine were the order of the day. Things are greening up nicely and the flowers are beginning their annual festivities.
1Skunk.jpg
weeping wall
2Lavendar.jpg
little ones
4Trillium.jpg
3Violets.jpg
The last half hour, on my way out, I saw the only two people of my trip, quite a change from the other Eagle Creek, eh? I only wish I had packed my snowshoes!

Helen

Re: The Other Eagle Creek

Post by Helen » April 15th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Nice TR and great photos! Thanks for posting. Good for you for doing an over nighter so early in they year.

Like2hikeLeea

Post by Like2hikeLeea » May 10th, 2012, 3:54 am

Nice report! Ive been on this trail, many many times...never able to cross that one big BIG stream....my friends w/ small dogs refused. Looks like you did it! Ive always had to turn around.
My goal is to make it this year (summer fer sure)
I follow William Sullivans book to get to TH...pay attention to directions and it gets you right there.
thanks for the good pics, makes me want to head out there soon!
The civilized man has built a couch, but has lost the use of his feet. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » May 10th, 2012, 4:47 am

Thanks for the trip report - I was up there a couple of weeks ago with a scout troop. We camped at the big camp spot about 3 miles in, and then hiked up the trail to about a mile from where it crosses the creek, but we ended up turning around due to the snow. I'm surprised it is still so deep with all the warmer weather we are having. There is another larger, flatter campsite but it is up in the snow right now.

I'm sure the creek is still running pretty high and fast. It is pretty loud when you camp right next to it!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson