Klickitat River Trail (lower end) - April 08, 2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mattisnotfrench

Klickitat River Trail (lower end) - April 08, 2012

Post by mattisnotfrench » April 10th, 2012, 11:21 am

We went looking for sunshine and open spaces on Sunday so we chose the lower end of the Klickitat River Trail. The trailhead is in Lyle at a well-marked parking lot.

The first 1.5 miles of the trail is nice but not spectacular, as it follows the Klickitat River almost directly next to the highway. The good stuff starts when you cross the river on a high bridge as Silvas Creek flows into the river. This is a great spot:

From there the trail follows the river on the opposite side from the highway and slowly becomes more of a trail and less of a wide railbed. For awhile I found it hard to believe it was ever a railway...some spots were quite narrow.

The flowers were out here too:

That makes my first balsamroot, shooting stars and lupine of the year. We were both very, very happy. We also saw lots of desert parsley, grass widows and assorted other early flowers.

We stopped at a campsite at about 4.5 miles from Lyle before turning around. This is an easy hike with a lot of nice points: a lovely, rushing river, lots of flowers, lots of birds and not a lot of people. I recommend starting from the bridge over the Klickitat though (if possible) to save yourself 3 miles of hiking near the road.

The flowers should peak in the next couple of weeks. Go soon!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

hikin_mike1960

Re: Klickitat River Trail (lower end) - April 08, 2012

Post by hikin_mike1960 » April 10th, 2012, 12:41 pm

Nice trip report....Thanks. That look like a great hike. I have never been there and would like to check it out. Coule I get direction on how to get to the bridge or trailhead from Portland please.

thanks for your help.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com

wendyr

Post by wendyr » April 10th, 2012, 1:33 pm

The trailhead is in Lyle. Drive to Hood River. Turn off on the OR 35 exit and cross the toll bridge over to Washington. Turn right on WA 14 and drive 11 miles to Lyle. Immediately after crossing the Klickitat River, turn left on the highway and drive 100 yards to the well-marked trailhead. To find the Fisher Bridge trailhead drive another 1.5 miles up the highway and turn left somewhere around the bridge (I guess). It didn't look like there was a lot of parking, but there should be enough for 3 - 4 cars.

hikin_mike1960

Post by hikin_mike1960 » April 10th, 2012, 1:48 pm

Thanks for the help.
Take a walk with Mother Nature and find peace.
http://www.takeawalkwithmothernature.com