Whipple Creek county park

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
romann

Whipple Creek county park

Post by romann » April 7th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Had just a couple of free hours till sunset and didn't want to spend time driving, and this little equestrian park just north of Vancouver is not far from my home. I used to bike/hike there several times a week when I didn't have my car yet, and still visit it from time to time.

The park now undergoes some reconstruction and they started putting gravel on dirt trails, but most trails are still as soggy as they are between October and July ;). Which means I had my share of solitude.

They posted a new map at the trailheads - nice to see some game trails made it to official map:) I photoshopped in some points/trails I know of.

Old mill ruins (the water wheel is out for restoration)

This is about the time for trilliums

I hoped they'll put gravel on major trails by now and took hiking boots instead of rubber boots - that was a mistake. Good thing is that park has just as large network of unofficial trails (game/bike trails) that are much less soggy than formal equestrian trails

I chose one of those little trails today

This has been my favorite place to study in college and university - far from TV, computer, and other distractions. With the trails hardly passable with normal boots, I always got this beautiful spot for myself

Wild dogwood?

Old homestead

Raspberry fields

Restored portion of the trail

Can you see a coyote?

I like that little park, just hope the county/volunteers can restore the trails to be accessible year-round.

ErinL

Re: Whipple Creek county park

Post by ErinL » April 9th, 2012, 3:16 pm

Thanks for this report! I work near this park. I now have the desire to check it out.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 9th, 2012, 7:06 pm

wheres this one Roman? i live in Salmon creek and herd of Whipple creek never ran into this one.Looks like a good place to explore.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

romann

Post by romann » April 9th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Coming from the south, I always start at south entrance which is a little more than a pullout on 1-line road, with a park sign. There is a large parking area on the north side of the park. I suggest to wait until these trails dry a bit (and they do take time to dry - possibly need about 2 weeks without rain). In a few places they already put gravel on the trails, but for the most part it's still better to have rubber boots on. The east trail passes near fenced horse pasture on one side and great blackberries on the other - I used to feed local horses with handfuls of berries - they love it :).

sasquatch22

Post by sasquatch22 » April 9th, 2012, 9:15 pm

romann wrote:Can you see a coyote?
How far was that coyote from your vantage point?

Really cool shots of the trillium and ferns growing on the oak.

romann

Post by romann » April 9th, 2012, 10:48 pm

sasquatch22 wrote:How far was that coyote from your vantage point?

Really cool shots of the trillium and ferns growing on the oak.

Thanks. Last year I saw several colors of trilliums there, from usual white to slightly blue-ish and pink-ins; this year there was only white variety.

For the coyote shot I didn't have a zoom, he was about as far as on last picture. I only spotted it because it moved.
Untitled-1.jpg

whipplecreekpark

Post by whipplecreekpark » June 26th, 2012, 4:42 pm

love that people enjoy the park, Whipple Creek Restoration Committee a citzens advocate group made up of all types of park users are now starting work again to resurface the trails with gravel and erosion control material The county made us stop because they had to get a grading permit for the trail repairs 6 months later we are able to start again with tractors Hooray come help us replant and repair the badly eroded trails. Our work day at Whipple Creek Park is on this Saturday 6/30/12 at 9am please share with your friends we need help and ideas from everyone we will work on the north ridge way yellow trail [email protected] 360 6874760

romann

Post by romann » June 26th, 2012, 11:02 pm

whipplecreekpark wrote:love that people enjoy the park, Whipple Creek Restoration Committee a citzens advocate group made up of all types of park users are now starting work again to resurface the trails with gravel and erosion control material The county made us stop because they had to get a grading permit for the trail repairs 6 months later we are able to start again with tractors Hooray come help us replant and repair the badly eroded trails. Our work day at Whipple Creek Park is on this Saturday 6/30/12 at 9am please share with your friends we need help and ideas from everyone we will work on the north ridge way yellow trail [email protected] 360 6874760
Thanks for this information, and all the volunteer effort!

Schroederkas

Post by Schroederkas » May 3rd, 2013, 11:07 am

Great photos Roman. The Park is greatly improved. You should see the trail the WTA (Washington Trail Association) installed. They took a steep hill that would be come muddy, and turnined into a switch back trail that allows the walker, hiker, runner, rider - bike or horse - to enjoy a better view of the Mill from below the Mill to around and behind the Mill. They did an awesome job. The WCPR Committee and the volunteers have addressed many of the main trail hills and muddy spots, but are continuing with this labor of Love. Tomorrow, May 4th, there is another op to join the Mud Busters at Whipple Creek Park. 9 AM to roughly 1 pm there will be volunteers in the park. North end off of 179th Street from I5 (head west), turn on 21st and go to the end and park in the parking lot. You need gloves, shovels, wheelborrows... and a smile! Have fun in the park.