Starvation Ridge and miniloop (trailwork)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mcds

Starvation Ridge and miniloop (trailwork)

Post by mcds » April 7th, 2012, 4:56 pm

i cleared the starvation ridge trail completely up to the 3 mile mark, however there was no blowdown past 2.6 miles. repairs: a bit of tread work very low down where there were 3 ft wide mini slides from above, forcing people to walk (and deteriorate) the downhill edge of the trail. other wise clear to the junction. turning left and up, a bit of tread work near the 5 inch blowdown that is too dirty to cut. doing so would trash any blade/chain. then mostly just unstacking blow down and tossing it off to the side. i cut some of the smaller logs and trimmed branches and stubs off the larger ones on the way up. removed a lot of cruft from the treadway. on the way down i cut all but 2 of the big logs with a 22" hand saw. however, they are both nearly on the ground and an easy step over even for half-able hikers. i trimmed off all the branches and nubs so the logs pose no danger to the sober.

that was yesterday, friday. about 8 hours of nonstop work. on monday i did 2 hours of similar trail work clockwise on the miniloop that splinter attempted last weekend. i went back again on thursday to do some more, but in the mean time, someone had come along with a chain saw (by the look of the saw dust and butts). instead i did another couple of hours of trail grooming on the miniloop and a bit of work at the streams. no work left to be done on the miniloop imo.

is there any blow down on starvation ridge above the current snow line or beyond the 3mi mark?
Last edited by mcds on January 16th, 2013, 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

retired jerry

Re: Starvation Ridge and miniloop (trail work)

Post by retired jerry » April 7th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Thanks!

and welcome

Peder

Post by Peder » April 7th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Welcome mcds! Your efforts are much appreciated, thank you very much.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

pablo

Post by pablo » April 7th, 2012, 11:03 pm

mcds, big thanks for your trail clearing work, Gorge trails took quite a hit this year.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

CuriousGorgeGuide

Post by CuriousGorgeGuide » April 8th, 2012, 9:35 am

Bravo!! Much appreciated!!