Wilson River Trail, 2/11/2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
potato

Wilson River Trail, 2/11/2012

Post by potato » February 12th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Yesterday I went with my friends Jeff and Kevin and my dog Bombadil to the Wilson River trail. The plan was to go from the Elk Creek trailhead to Diamond Mills and back for 19 miles and 5500 ft. EG (thanks to Mayhem for the route idea). My friends made it the whole way in a little under 8 hours, but I had to turn back at the Kings Mt. junction... so I guess I went around 8 miles. Within the first mile, my foot started hurting the same way it did near the end of the Wildwood hike and I didn't want to push it. We took an hour and a half getting to that junction, but I spent 3 hours going that same distance back because I took so many pictures and videos.

I made a compilation of Bombadil doing some good jumps as this had not yet been adequately documented.
After that I will basically just dump a bunch of photos without many comments. It was a pretty nice day, no rain, cloudy in the morning but cleared up in the afternoon. The clouds made for nice lighting for a bunch of macro shots. Met just one guy on the trail... from West Virginia, living in Coos Bay now. Told him about PH :)

Pic for the main page? (or will it use the screenshot from the video?)

Before and after (minus Kevin and Jeff on the after)

This bridge was broken...

...and this one made us nervous.

Tree moss

Put on your red-cyan glasses, if you have any...

See, the sun came out.

Thanks for looking.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Eric Peterson

Re: Wilson River Trail, 2/11/2012

Post by Eric Peterson » February 12th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Cool pics Joe, what kind of camera are you using?

potato

Post by potato » February 12th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Joe hikes (PCT blog)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 12th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Excellent! Nice pics & report. It's not a secret that the WRT is special to me though.
:)

Too bad about the bridges! That one bridge felt VERY springy the last time I crossed it (the one you mentioned felt like it would soon collapse). Guess that'll force people to do a bit of scrambling.

Thanks for sharing. And sorry to hear about your foot. Any idea what is causing the pain?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » February 12th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Great photos, looks like Bombadil enjoys every bit of the trail almost as much as jumping. :D
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Helen

Post by Helen » February 12th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Bombadil is beautiful. I am very fond of Great Danes, I have had two of them.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » February 12th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Bammmm!! Great TR :). Loved the pics.
I wonder when the bridge broke? And how?

I whooohooooed a few times because I knew you were on the trail :)

Did your buddy's think the hike was a butt kicker?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

cornelius

Post by cornelius » February 12th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Outstanding! Thanks for that.

Peder

Post by Peder » February 12th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I hope that your foot gets better quickly. Meanwhile it looks like you had lots of fun with your camera - outstanding pictures! Thank you.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

potato

Post by potato » February 13th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Thanks again...

I don't know what the deal is with the foot pain. I haven't looked into it yet. Basically it's the outside of my right foot, closer to the heel than the toes. It hurts most walking downhill or on flat ground -- whenever the heel hits first. It actually feels better walking uphill where I'm keeping my heels off the ground. The pain goes away as soon as I get my weight off the foot. I don't seem to have lost any strength in that foot, it's just painful. When I first hurt it on the Wildwood hike, I limped for a couple days but 3-4 days later I thought I was healed... no problems during daily activities. But after walking on it for a mile the pain came back. I'm wondering if maybe my shoes don't have the right arch support for me? And probably it's some kind of RSI or over-use injury? Any ideas?

Yeah I don't know when that bridge fell but it looked pretty recent. Strangely there was no sign of a tree that had fallen on it to break it... it's almost like it rotted to the point of collapse. Hope nobody was on it when it collapsed!
My friends said the last 2 miles were pretty killer for them. One of them texted me later that he wanted to die. But hey they made it in under 8 hours, 19 miles 5500 feet, I think that's pretty good.
Joe hikes (PCT blog)