Gravelle Brothers Trail to University Falls 2/4/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
payslee

Gravelle Brothers Trail to University Falls 2/4/12

Post by payslee » February 6th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Last edited by payslee on February 9th, 2015, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Gravelle Brothers Trail to University Falls 2/4/12

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » February 7th, 2012, 6:39 am

Great report and pics payslee. It's kind of a wonky hike, but for some reason I usually enjoy it quite a bit.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » February 7th, 2012, 7:25 am

I've been around the loop when there was about a foot of snow and no ATVers, but hard to follow the trail. I encountered a lot of elk - females with yearlings. It's also nice in the spring with flowers coming out. There will be a lot more ATV noise then, but I've found that the off-roaders who use this area are friendly, respectful, and obey the signs. Thanks for the post!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 7th, 2012, 7:55 am

Nice report! :)

I'll have to check that out when I head up into the Coast Range sometime. I've wondered about the other trails that I've seen signs for along Hwy 6.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

payslee

Post by payslee » February 7th, 2012, 9:40 am

bobcat wrote:I've been around the loop when there was about a foot of snow and no ATVers, but hard to follow the trail. I encountered a lot of elk - females with yearlings. It's also nice in the spring with flowers coming out. There will be a lot more ATV noise then, but I've found that the off-roaders who use this area are friendly, respectful, and obey the signs. Thanks for the post!
When I was out there I was thinking how pretty this would bei n March when the skunk cabbage and trillium are out and alders start to green up. I still haven't been to the fancy visitor center they put up a few years ago - I think when that opens for the season in March I'm going to do some more trail-exploring around there.

And yes, all of the users in this shared-use area seemed to be open to sharing and just glad to be out in the sun. They even had an ATV/OHV volunteer work-party schedule posted up on the information board. And I tried to do my part by smiling and saying good morning even to all the scary monster trucks :-)

-payslee

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » February 7th, 2012, 10:20 pm

ODOT barn belching gravel.
Best photo caption EVER..!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » February 9th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Wonderful trail report. As primarily a midweek hiker, we tried this trail in late September of this year and saw only one other person (a mushroom hunter) the entire time. We were treated to bushes bursting with red huckleberries on the last quarter mile to the falls. 
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow