Idiot Creek Tailgate Party 2011: weve hit rock bottom!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Thum

Idiot Creek Tailgate Party 2011: weve hit rock bottom!

Post by Thum » December 20th, 2011, 10:56 pm

With all the hiking lately ive really hit a low point, mayhem(who does more hiking) is stuck in the same rut. Our endless addiction summoned us to Idiot Creek(figures) as mayhem was nice enough to invite me on a midweek holiday recliner with his best pal Cinnamon. Mayhem picked me around 6 am and we sped off for the coast range. The Idiot Creek(and newest)section of the Wilson River Trail stretches from the .5 mile mark of the Elk Creek trail to its end at Idiot Creek Loop Road.

Here we are at the start of the Elk Creek Trail:

In no time we reached the stream ford crossing of Elk Creek and took off upwards toward Idiot Creek, here's mayhem jumping Elk Creek:

And me in the creek, I lugged two big pairs of rubber duckies to the stream crossing and stashed em near by. Mayhem jumped the creek with ease. The creek is still so low i felt pretty silly bagging those babies in but they were sure fun to splash around in :P

The new 3 mile section of the Wilson River Trail has some amazing rocky outcroppings along the way:

We did some trail maintenence before the big tailgate, with Cinnamon getting in on the action as well:) here's some before and afters.

Once we hit Idiot Creek Loop Road we hiked the road a short ways to the tailgate party(note the empty firepit, man):

Everyone left before we arrived so mayhem and I downed all the party favors by ourselves:

Stumblin and slurring for more we ripped through the rest. woah out of control tff, whats that non alcoholic O'douls doing there?!:

We found dozens of shotgun shells, boozer bottles and a funny little cheech pipe next to the o'douls. I guess the idiots on the creek didnt want to get drunk, stoned and trigger happy, just a combination thereof. The best was the two water bottles, both full amongst countless empty beer bottles. In reality it was pretty disgusting to see the lack of respect so many people have for the state forests/wilderness areas etc.

Heading back toward Elk Creek we snapped some more pics, one from me and one from mark of this beautiful creekside big leaf maple:

After the quick 8 miler up to the boozefester we decided to push on(famous mayhem/CH words) and drive down to the kings mtn trailhead to do the short kings jr jeep road loop with the Wilson River Trail:

We went up the Wilson River Trail to the intersection with the old kings jr road and looped back down to the Wilson. On our way up we spotted a dinosaur track from 2 days ago, the giant Bombadilasaurus Rex had been roaming the woods just 48 hours before:

Once we hit the KJ trail and started our decent mayhem found a fallen birds nest:

Heading down Kings J:

With Cinnamon checking things out for us, it was so much fun to watch her in her home turf. Mayhems dog is in great shape and really knows the area, plus shes super coolcute:

Oh NO!! mayman down, with mutt to the rescue!

Thx rescue mutt :P

The woods were cloaked in mist and fog for most of the day, but the sun did come in when we stopped hiking:

Elk Kings Legend Cinnamon after a day on the trails :)

Last edited by Thum on December 20th, 2011, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splintercat

Re: Idiot Creek Tailgate Party 2011: weve hit rock bottom!

Post by Splintercat » December 20th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Great report, Thum! Thanks for the trail work, too -- nice before-and-afters!

Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 20th, 2011, 11:23 pm

You have some grand adventures. Thanks for sharing.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

potato

Post by potato » December 21st, 2011, 1:29 am

Cool job! Glad you had a good time. I'm surprised the Bombadilasaurus Rex print was still so fresh looking. Cute dog, I bet mine would like her. Also I like the mushroom shot.

Hope you sobered up by the time you got back to your car :D
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 21st, 2011, 6:28 am

:lol: Awesome dudes!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 21st, 2011, 6:32 am

Mayhem mentioned that you guys were doing the Idiot Creek section of the WRT. I've always been curious about that part, when I've been going up the Elk Creek Trail. Yet another section I haven't hiked (yet). Good idea about lugging a pair of rubber boots to do the crossing. ;)

LOL @ tailgating - all we need is what I was describing on our last hike - portable TV, power supply, and satellite dish - and we can watch the football games while we hike! :D Sort of a 'mobile tailgating' recliner hike? :lol:

Looks like a fun adventure, you guys. I was home sick yesterday. Better today.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 21st, 2011, 10:15 am

Great Hike & TR Thum
Thanks for joing in the most excellent fun day!!
11.5miles 3,000eg ~ 29,000 steps & 4,000cals for the day

Pano of the Idiot Summit!
http://360.io/mLkQLV

Idiot Creek 4s GPS Not!! Makes for a funny GPS tour or we really were that bouncy & jumpy all over the trails?? maybe the gps was attached to the dog?? :)
http://gpsfly.org/g/1268

Kings Jr Loop 4s GPS much better.
http://gpsfly.org/g/1269

Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 21st, 2011, 10:49 am

Nice report on Idiot Creek. I'll have to get up there this winter now that you have cleared the trail and carted out the detritus. Thank you for your labors!

LakeOHiker

Post by LakeOHiker » December 21st, 2011, 11:12 pm

Thanks for the report. Do you have the elevation for the Idiot Creek trail? I love that area. A couple of weeks ago we hiked the new Keenig Trail and that is another beautiful part of the Wilson River Trail. Love the pictures too.
Seeing the World on my own Two Feet!

Thum

Post by Thum » December 21st, 2011, 11:42 pm

Thanks! everbody :P It was a super fun and unexpected day, i owe mayhem big time even tho he says no ;)

Thanks Lake O Hiker :) That is great to here, is that the section that heads further west past the keenig campground, or something else? I think the road was at 2100 ft and I believe the camogrouns is around 800 to 1000 ft but im not sure on that. Mayhem might have it on gps but it was bouncing around i think.