Hunchback Mountain - Green Canyon - Salmon River Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Hunchback Mountain - Green Canyon - Salmon River Loop

Post by bobcat » December 15th, 2011, 4:42 pm

Last weekend, I stashed my bike in the woods near the lower trailhead for the Old Salmon River Trail and then drove back to the Zigzag Ranger Station to engage the Hunchback Mountain Trail in lush Douglas-fir, cedar, hemlock and maple woods. This path, now fully surrounded by the newer, bigger version of the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness, rises steeply in a series of switchbacks to Hunchback’s crest. There are several viewpoints once on the crest. One of the most unique is where the trail runs along the edge of breccia cliffs, but the views were very limited on Sunday.
Snow on manzanita, Hunchback Mountain.jpg
Rimrock viewpoint, Hunchback Mountain.jpg
It was snowing lightly for most of my hike along the ridge but, except for the morning’s dusting, the trail was mostly bare in its northern section. Other viewpoints include the Rockpile and Helispot 260, both signposted. From all of these, Mt. Hood would normally be visible, but with a cloud ceiling of about 3,500’, views of any distance were non-existent. Most of the way, I was following in the tracks of a prowling coyote. Eventually, my coyote met another coyote, they pranced around a bit, and then continued their foraging in tandem. While I have happened upon trail coyotes several times in the past, these two eluded me although they could never have been that far ahead.

A mossy andesite catwalk leads through stunted Douglas-firs to the final viewpoint on the mountain, Great Pyramid. One can scramble along a spur that leads out onto this promontory, but again the views were minimal.
The Catwalk, Hunchback Mountain.jpg
Back on the Hunchback Mountain Trail, I continued south. After the Great Pyramid, the path plunges steeply down through rhododendron thickets and then undulates along the ridge, becoming rather indistinct as it passes by overhanging boulders and rocky outcroppings. The forest becomes more montane, with silver fir and noble fir now in the mix. The temperature was well below freezing and an icy one-foot crust of snow, all that remained of the previous months’ accumulations, exhibited the tracks of deer, elk, coyote, snowshoe hare, and (probably) marten, but no humans.
Sword ferns, Hunchback Mountain.jpg
Rock overhang, Hunchback Mountain.jpg
I reached the junction with the Green Canyon Way Trail at about 4,100’ and headed down in silver/noble fir forest. Humans had come up this way and continued on to Devil’s Peak. Since the tracks were one-way, they may have been overnighters at the lookout there.
Green Canyon Way junction, Hunchback Mountain.jpg
The trail switchbacks many times in a three-mile descent, passing from montane forest to lush lowland woods with massive Douglas-firs and cedars. At ridge openings, there would normally be views of the Salmon River Canyon. Also, several grassy clearings support little copses of oak and an array of wildflowers in the late spring. Despite the low temperatures, fungi were still fruiting on the forest floor.
Oak-maple clearing, Green Canyon Way.jpg
Brown scaly inocybe (Inocybe dulcamara), Green Canyon Way.jpg
Reaching the trailhead for Green Canyon Way, I crossed the Salmon River Road and passed through the closed Green Canyon Campground to access the Old Salmon River Trail. This last of my three trails keeps close to the river with numerous spurs leading to cobbled beaches and overlooks. The Salmon was running clear and low; usually at this time of year, there is a lot of water on the trail, but it was a dry passage. At one point, you can cross an overflow channel and visit a forested island. Again, there are several huge Douglas-firs and cedars by the trail.
Clear water, Salmon River.jpg
Running over bedrock, Salmon River.jpg
Massive cedar, Salmon River.jpg
Narrows, Salmon River.jpg
Eventually, I headed up to the Salmon River Road, retrieved my concealed bicycle, and zoomed back to Zigzag.

About 11 ½ miles (the hiking part); total elevation gain: about 3,800’
Last edited by bobcat on December 16th, 2011, 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

geographics

Re: Hunchback Mountain - Green Canyon - Salmon River Loop

Post by geographics » December 15th, 2011, 5:54 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 24th, 2012, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

cfm

Post by cfm » December 15th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Love the bike shuttle!

Thanks for sharing.

pablo

Post by pablo » December 16th, 2011, 12:31 am

Good stuff, luv the hike 'n bike. I've done this loop but walked back on road, will do it again with bike like OP. Nice photos...

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 16th, 2011, 8:00 am

@geographics: I didn't go to Devil's Peak. I turned off the 793 (Hunchback Mt.) and headed west, and down, on the 793A (Green Canyon Way) to hook up with the Old Salmon River Trail that parallels the Salmon River Road.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 16th, 2011, 8:07 am

Neglected to answer geographics' other question: I took microspikes expecting to encounter a lot of icy, crusty snow cover, but there was only about a mile and a half of that (about 4,000' level and above), mostly approaching the Hunchback/Green Canyon junction. In short, I didn't need to use any extra traction though it might have been helpful if I had gone on to Devil's Peak.

Flotation???

John
Last edited by bobcat on December 16th, 2011, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thum

Post by Thum » December 16th, 2011, 10:35 am

wow, cool loop idea, bobcat. I never thought of starting at the hunchback TH with a biked stashed in green canyon. that is an awesome loop though. thanks for posting this bobcat.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » December 16th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Bobcat,

I totally forgot about the idea of stashing bikes to help complete a loop hike. I used to do that in my younger mountain biking days. Thanks for the reminder.

That idea works perfect for the Hunch/Green/Salmon loop. I can think of a few others where that would work (and be legal).

Great TR,

Brad