Three-Corner Rock via PCT 12-12-2011

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
4DMTNS

Three-Corner Rock via PCT 12-12-2011

Post by 4DMTNS » December 13th, 2011, 8:33 pm

With the promise of blue skies and a chance at awesome views, we headed out to Three-Corner Rock via the PCT on Monday. It was a bitterly cold 24 degrees during the entire hike, and the wind gusts probably made it closer to zero most of the time. We all agreed it was a great short hike and that we would be back again this summer to repeat this hike, and extend it to include the out and back to Table Mountain from the North approach.

The forest service roads were in excellent condition, most intersections were signed well IF you've checked your maps in advance, and the trail condition was still ok most of the way. There are definitely some icy snow spots, but we found it manageable without traction devices. The views were worth every wind gust and subsequent slurpee 'brain-freeze' moment. 

Charles (my guy) got these shots at the summit, capturing the icy blades of grass in each of them. The ice extended from 1-2 inches perpendicular due to the wind.

Three-Corner Rock

Mt Hood

Ice on the chain-link fence that surrounds the radio tower.

Typical trail conditions ... snow, ice and beautiful snow-dusted trees.

Along the way we had views of Rainier, Goat Rocks, Adams, St Helens, Silver Star Mountain and Hood. This was our first view of Adams. 

Silver Star Mountain

Three-Corner Rock

Charles and I posing for a rare shot of the two of us (thanks to our friend Mike for catching this one). 

I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

geographics

Re: Three-Corner Rock via PCT 12-12-2011

Post by geographics » December 13th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Last edited by geographics on February 24th, 2012, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » December 13th, 2011, 10:12 pm

Thanks for sharing. Those first 2 pics are unreal!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » December 14th, 2011, 12:38 am

Rime ice is awesome! The first time I remember seeing it was on my hike to Silver Star long ago. What's really interesting is that the ice builds INTO the wind, not down wind.

Appleton

Post by Appleton » December 18th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Great pics! I've never seen ice freeze sideways like that before. Intense!
You dog is really adorable in that doggie onesie.

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » December 25th, 2011, 9:46 am

Doggie onesie - that's the perfect name! German Shorthair Pointers don't have much in the way of insulating fur, thus the name shorthair is an accurate descriptor. And this girl is a lean machine, so no fatty insulation either. To enjoy being outside for hours in temps below 30 degrees we keep her warm with her own tech-gear. We put her hunting vest on to keep her core warmer that day.
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow