Cedar Mountain / Cedar Falls hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Easyrider

Cedar Mountain / Cedar Falls hike

Post by Easyrider » December 3rd, 2011, 8:20 pm

This was a very nice Mazmama-led hike. I had previously gotten some great information from Jeff Statt on this hike. We were set to do this hike on our own when Caleb from the Mazamas posted this hike on their web site. Figured there would be a much lower chance of a negative outcome if we tagged along with someone who had a good GPS track. Obviously, that plan succeeded.

http://www.theoriginaleasyrider.com/cedar.htm

We will be returning to get a much better waypointed track and some better pictures now that we know the way. I'll update my web page after we return. Many thanks to the Mazamas for a great $2 hike!

Most of the trail was easy to follow but there were a few invisible forks and abrupt trail disappearances. We found liberal placements of flagging tape which did help. A map and compass is not terribly helpful on this hike. You need to either be VERY familiar with the route or have a good GPS with an accurate track and waypoints.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown

[email protected]

Re: Cedar Mountain / Cedar Falls hike

Post by [email protected] » December 4th, 2011, 1:55 am

Yes, this is a great hike and example of one which could easily be made into a new hiking trail (right now it is on user-built trails). This area is usually snow free, easily to access and various types of loops can be done. Hopefully more people will continue to learn about this and we can get more folks out in this very nice area at the base of Table Mountain (one of the harder loops you can add while doing Cedar)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 4th, 2011, 9:52 am

Nice TR Easyrider.

My first impression when I saw your pictures in the TR was that you look leaner, and more fit. Your efforts have paid off! Great work.

And I see that you gave some synthetic clothing a try, like you mentioned in another thread. What is your impression of hiking in jeans vs. synthetic hiking pants?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » December 4th, 2011, 10:35 am

Frank,

Nice job with the report and the pics are great! As Cruzac says, you look leaner and so does your wife. Nice shot of the Rabbit Ears, BTW. This thing about getting in good shape and exploring is great, or what?

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 4th, 2011, 11:00 am

I gotta mix this loop in with Aldrich and a Table for some sort of a loonexpedition!

Nice job and nice pics too! :)

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » December 4th, 2011, 3:44 pm

This one has been on my radar for a while. I'll have to make an effort to do it sooner, rather than later.

Thanks for the report.

Brad

chameleon

Post by chameleon » December 4th, 2011, 4:06 pm

Great Job EasyRider! And I love that you chose to use the more historic moniker, "Cedar Falls" as opposed to more modern "Aldrich Falls." I love that hike - especially the forested section above the falls, where large cedar and spruce mix with marshland. Thanks for the great pics and report!
-Zach Forsyth

Guy

Post by Guy » December 4th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I gotta mix this loop in with Aldrich and a Table for some sort of a loonexpedition!
Chiyoko & I did Table, Cedar, Aldrich in the Spring it only adds like a mile and a half (& a 1000' or so) to a typical Table Hike.

To make it a Loon Hike... rather than do a dog leg up & back to Aldrich you should Bushwhack up the West side from Cedar Creek making a true Loop!! We should put that on the list!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » December 4th, 2011, 9:37 pm

@All: We have a handful of hikes that we really enjoy and do several times a year. I suspect that Cedar will be added to that list. It has everything we look for in a good hike.... a good cardio workout, nice views, needing some (but not a lot of) navigation skills and no people. It did occur to us that we could take the traditional Aldrich approach to Table, go up Heartbreak Ridge, come down to the West kiosk and then do the Cedar Mountain/Cedar Falls loop in the reverse order from the way we went yesterday. I think that would make for a nice 15-odd mile hike.

@Don: Yep, the pounds have been falling off for the past two years. Part of getting into a healthy lifestyle is finding an activity that you really enjoy. Julie and I find hiking to be very relaxing and meditative (so long as we are out there alone). She is a cancer survivor so the exercise and the exposure to nature is good for her as well. Meeting nice folks like you in the saddle of Table last year also makes this an enjoyable activity.

@ Cusak: I'm always going to be a die-hard, old school guy. Biker boots, 501s and black T-shirts will always be my uniform. But I have to say that the past several hikes would have been a lot less pleasant if I did them in jeans. Probably in large part because the hikes we are going on now are becoming increasingly more difficult, therefore having the correct "gear" is becoming more important. I'm taking the Mazama mountain climbing course that's coming up and now have climbing Mount Hood on my radar. A year ago I thought that doing the Mount Saint Helens summit climb was (waaaaay) beyond reach.

Very much appreciate the support and encouragement I/we received on here, especially back when we were rank noobies.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown