Marquam Nature Park

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Marquam Nature Park

Post by bobcat » November 17th, 2011, 3:47 pm

My wife and I took a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon and decided that, in two hours, we could easily do all the trails in Marquam Nature Park. I figure, with the two short spurs that we did, it was about 4.4 miles. This Portland City park is not far from my house and just north of the OHSU Campus off of Sam Jackson Parkway and Terwilliger Boulevard. The park is named after Philip Marquam, who was a Multnomah County judge in the 1860s and later served in the Oregon State Legislature.

The small parking area is planted with non-native red maples from eastern North America, but their leaves make an attractive carpet in the fall. There's a little shelter with information about the nature in the park and also some trail brochures: http://www.fmnp.org/images/MNPtrailmapforwebsite.pdfThe trails in the park wind up and around two steep-sided ravines that combine to form Marquam Gulch. Spur trails lead to Broadway and OHSU and a short stretch of the loop also includes Marquam Hill Road. The forest is native Douglas-fir, western hemlock, red-cedar, big-leaf maple, vine maple, and even some Pacific yew. There is also a liberal dose of non-natives - cherry-laurel, ivy, holly, and herb-robert being the most conspicuous.

I amused myself by turning over maple leaves looking for salamanders, but found only one (see below) although I expected to turn up more (I have at least three species in my yard). The maples were a blaze of bright yellow and, surprisingly, there were only a couple of other people on the paths.
Red maple leaves, Marquam Nature Park.jpg
Footbridge, Marquam Nature Park.jpg
Dunn's salamander (Plethodon dunni), Marquam Nature Park.jpg
Split-rail switchback, Marquam Nature Park.jpg
Banana slug, Marquam Nature Park.jpg
Connor Trail, Marquam Nature Park.jpg
The burl of all burls, Marquam Nature Park.jpg
If you have more time, of course, there are longer options: down Marquam Hill to Terwilliger, or up the Marquam Trail to Council Crest, then to the Zoo to connect with the Wildwood (some of this is on city streets).

AlexanderSupertramp

Re: Marquam Nature Park

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » November 17th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Great job, and beautiful pics!

Peder

Post by Peder » November 17th, 2011, 10:06 pm

Lovely pictures. Now I know that a "Dunn's salamander" exists, I met one of those (unnamed) about 2 weeks ago!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » November 18th, 2011, 4:08 am

i want to share the history of Marquam Nature Park. It has been preserved as an undeveloped open space. It is part of a chain of natural areas and trails that traverse the West Hills of Southwest Portland. The Nature Park was the final link in the Westside trail system chain, making it possible to hike from the Sellwood Bridge to the St. Johns Bridge along preserved park trails.

Marquam Nature Park links with other protected open space between Tryon Creek State Park and Forest Park creating a West Willamette Corridor. This corridor provides hiking amenities, forested scenic vistas, and enhances air quality and water quality in all of the Portland area.

According to The Oregonian on April 2, 1934, Philip A. Marquam was "one of Portland's picturesque pioneers, prominent in the legal, economic, sporting, educational, and theatrical history of Portland." Marquam was a lawyer and a judge who owned the Fulton District, Marquam Hill, and what is now part of Riverview Cemetery.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 18th, 2011, 7:33 am

Thank you, Marilyn, for adding more details about the park. Here's a link to a more detailed account of Judge Marquam's life: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ormul ... arquam.htm
This account doesn't mention that Marquam purchased his 300-acre land claim on Marquam Hill from the brother of George Donner, he of the ill-fated Donner Party.

John