Grassy Knoll - Big Huckleberry Mtn, 4-July-2012

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Grassy Knoll - Big Huckleberry Mtn, 4-July-2012

Post by kepPNW » July 5th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Escaped from hell to find a bit of heaven on the 4th! Wow, what a beautiful little hike this one is.

Assuming you can get to the trailhead. For all the crap the road to Silver Star gets, this one's arguably worse. Not only is it cratered well enough you'd be happy to have borrowed someone else's truck, but it's also one-way for about 10 miles forcing you to make a mental note of each turnout, in case you need to back up to facilitate passage with another car. Oh, and there's a number of trees (mostly small) down at one point, which forces you to the edge or to accept a scraping. If I'd had a saw... ah well. Nothing but high-clearance rigs at the TH. Just saying. My Suburban K2500 did fine, but I would've preferred the kids' Jeep Cherokee.

I've also read a lot of confusion on the roads to the Grassy Knoll TH. Maybe the nature of this forum is that folks are more spatially oriented, and just don't do as well with textual directions? (I am!) So I'll include a map I made that really helped me getting there. Just make a mental note of your odometer at the key waypoints noted here (taken from the Field Guide), do the math, and you'll have no problem navigating. The last junction, with NF-68 is totally unmarked, so if you didn't do the math you would have a hard time knowing it's the right one!
GrassyKnollTrailhead.jpg
My GPS wanted me to come in from the east, but on forest roads I tend to trust those who've been there first and foremost. Has anyone here come in from the other way? I know it's shorter. Is it also a cratered one-laner?

Well, enough grousing. Here's the payoff. And wow, was it worth it! The first mile seemed to discourage a lot of folks I talked to (well, 4 out of 8), but it wasn't that bad (800'), and it was in the shade.

Not too much after the initial climb levels off, there's a really cool outcropping overlooking the "Big Lava Bed" and Mt. Adams.

Here ends the beargrass, too, for some reason.

Then, Grassy Knoll comes into view, and your pace picks up a bit.

The balsamroot still seems to be going strong, here.

And you'll find rainbow assortments of wildflowers at many turns.

The knoll itself isn't incredibly dense in flowers, but there are a lot of littler ones, especially lupin.

And funny little succulent-like things.

Is that a PH dog?

The folks that turned around at GK really missed out, though! The next mile and a half are where the real wildflower explosions are taking place.

Then, there's a couple miles of darker forest.

Until you emerge atop Big Huckleberry Mountain, with views to the east, west, and south. It's so nice to be getting up to some elevation now, and be able to look down on where I've been so much lately.

Seriously, I've always associated a certain smell with the Cascades. Yesterday was the first time I'd smelled that in a long time, and it was good!!! Anyone else know that smell? No idea what it is, but oh how I missed that. (Kept hearing Skynyrd up and down the trail.)

Anyway, here's looking west towards the gorge. Nesmith Point on the left and Table Mountain on the right.

Mt. Hood pretty much kept its peak in hiding all day, but how odd is this? Jefferson is in clear view!

These Cat's Ear Lilies were everywhere, from the trailhead to the summit.

Not sure what these other summit flowers are.

Most of the trip was with the ever-present company of flying things. There were little biting flies that'd dig in for dinner whenever you'd stop for more than a few moments. It wasn't troublesome to the point of pulling out repellent, but I did have rather bloody legs by now from swatting the little beasts. The bees were totally absorbed in what they were doing, though.

Edit: Two days later, my legs are driving me crazy! Those little suckers put a dozen-plus nasties on each! Use the darn repellent!

Totally overstayed my welcome at this point. And given the drive ahead, I knew I was late, but I just couldn't cruise past that field of balsamroot, et al, without stopping for a few more shots.

Oh, and at one point, I noticed a veritable ant freeway crossing the trail. Looking a foot into the flowers, there's this humongous anthill! Would've really sucked to have stepped on that one.

Okay, time to boogie! It's 40-50 minutes from the TH to Carson. One last look out over Big Lava Bed.

And away we go...

I was thinking throughout this hike that it's really not yet peaked. I'd have to guess that it'll be spectacular for at least the next two weeks.

Gpsfly says: 12.2 miles, 3625 feet EG, 4212 feet max elevation.
Fly the track. Photos along track.

Enjoy...
Last edited by kepPNW on August 7th, 2012, 5:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Re: Grassy Knoll - Big Huckleberry Mtn, 4-July-2012

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 5th, 2012, 5:06 pm

Great trip report on one of my all time favorite hikes.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

anne37

Post by anne37 » July 6th, 2012, 11:10 am

I think I know what smell you're talking about - I moved away briefly and when I came back it was like an old friend. It's a sweet-piney smell, as if the sun was baking the trail a little. I smell it in the Gorge and on the lower parts of mountain hikes. It's the best.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 6th, 2012, 5:49 pm

New favorite of mine, too, WS!

Anne, someone off-board was also saying they think it's the roasting of Doug Fir needles in the sun, which makes as much sense as anything I've come up with. "Ooooh, ooh, that smell!" :)
Karl

romann

Post by romann » July 6th, 2012, 6:25 pm

Great report and pictures!

I think I know where to go tomorrow...

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » July 6th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Some friends and I were there for our first time on June 16. The flowers were spectacular then, but nothing like what you experienced. I agree that turning back after Grassy Knoll is not the way to go. If you are short on time, at least make it to the saddle beyond Grassy Knoll and where the trail re-enters the woods that take you onto Big Huckleberry. 

It appears we did the exact same hike you did, lunched atop Big Huck, and then we regretfully headed back. When we were there, the saddle was covered with yellow glacier lily. 

And a bonus for me ... I saw my first Yellow Bell up on one of the hillsides and was able to get close enough for this picture. 

We followed Douglas Lorain's directions from 'Afoot & Afield Portland/Vancouver' which takes you via Bear Creek Road for 10.6 miles, then left 2.1 miles on FS68. For the trip home we took FS68 East (Lost Creek Road), connected with FS66 (South Prairie Road), and then onto Oklahoma/Willard Road near the small town of Cook. 

FS68 has a significant amount of blowdown that has been cleared just enough for ONE vehicle to pass. I remember thinking ... if you are going to take the effort to saw and clear the trees, why not cut them back to the road's edge. It was a pothole-filled ride with plenty of places to get jostled if the sun is dappling the road through the trees. We both drive off-road, off-camber frequently, and we tired of this road quickly!!
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 7th, 2012, 8:16 am

Interesting transition going on there! I didn't see a single Glacier Lily, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those Yellow Cups. Looks like the Balsamroot was all the way down to GK, too? It seemed mostly higher on the 4th.

The blue pin below is where the strongest concentration began the other day. As you said, right as you ascend this little knoll, just before plunging into the woods (about 4 miles / 3850 feet). Clicking this map plays a flash showing where the best 100 or so (of about 350! :lol:) shots were taken.

Doesn't sound like that road east was any better. I had the very same thoughts about the partially removed trees on the western approach! W.T.H.??? Ah well. Heckuva hike! :)
Last edited by kepPNW on January 2nd, 2013, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

Peder

Post by Peder » July 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Thanks kepPNW for a great and beautifully illustrated trip report! I also like the driving map... I tried to go once a few years ago but hit a gated road (I like to think the road was closed as it was late in the year and not that I was off route). After reading your (and Alan Charlesworth's) report I am keen to go, so if I can spare a moment from all the other hikes that I am also planning... :?
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…