Joerunner vs Mt Defiance, 3 rounds

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
joerunner

Joerunner vs Mt Defiance, 3 rounds

Post by joerunner » August 8th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Round 1 Went to Joerunner. Took a wicked left hook across the lower legs with some Poison Oak exposure. Went up Starvation Ridge to the top then down Mt. Defiance. Trails in great shape the whole way. Was a bit cold with the wind.

Round 2 Even Split, after water refill from a waterfall near the freeway we turned around and went back up Mt. Defiance trail. Smooth going but the fatigued bad at about 3000'. Wind was still kind of chilli. Returned to the bottom with a traverse across the rockfall and Warren Lake from Mt defiance trail to Starvation trail. Ran down to the bottom of the Starvation cutoff near the freeway before turning around to head back up Starvation trail.

Round 3 Mt Defiance with a tko. After having gone up using Mt Defiance and Starvation Ridge I came to the conclusion that SR was easier. Everything from river level up to about Starvation Ridge is very steep with a few nice but short flat sections to help keep you going. After 3000' or so the grade lessons a lot and is easy to maintain a level effort. Mt Defiance, on the other hand is either hard or very hard from the bottom to the top. Without good lighting I was a bit concerned about a big slow down and having to come down the Mt. Def. trail in the dark with nothing but a pen light. So at 2600' with extremely tired legs I gave up on my 3 peak bid and turned around. Next time I'll start little earlier.

Stats: 27 miles, 13,000' gained, 9hours 50 minutes elapsed. Most difficult section is the first 500' climbing on the Starvation Ridge cutoff trail.
mt defiance 3 peak attempt 09.JPG
2 big peaks and a little one.
Mt. def 3 peak attempt 26 miles.JPG
The route.

DerWanderer

Re: Joerunner vs Mt Defiance, 3 rounds

Post by DerWanderer » August 8th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Wow, that's pretty hardcore. I know a guy who does Triple D now and again: A warm-up on Dog before doing Defiance, and a cool-down on Devil's Rest... But Triple Defiance is really serious stuff. Are you human?

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » August 9th, 2009, 6:04 am

DerWanderer wrote:But Triple Defiance is really serious stuff. Are you human?
Blood tests are pending on Joe. So far, they've discovered trace DNA of mountain goat, wolf, camel, and cheetah.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 9th, 2009, 8:04 am

:lol: Ha, thats funny Anna!

DerWanderer - Very human as evidenced by the mistake of underestimating the difficulty of making it to the top (and down) 3 times. Next time I'll start earlier with fresher legs. So your friend does the triple D in one day? That is a ambitious workout!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 9th, 2009, 8:39 am

Joe,

Nice work! Defiance is real hard on the toes going down - especially the Starvation route. Also, I know what you mean about not wanting to come down in the dark - a few years ago I came down in the dark without a light and don't recommend it!

-Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

DerWanderer

Post by DerWanderer » August 9th, 2009, 9:00 am

Ha ha, Anna, you crack me up!

Yes, the friend in question does Triple D in one day. He's an instructor for the Mazamas' Basic Climbing Education Program, and he usually does it as the final conditioning hike for his group. I heard this year's group mutinied.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » August 9th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Joe, I hope Defiance doesn't get another KO with an extra round on that PO..! It's pretty late in the season, so hopefully you didn't pick up much residue..!

BTW, we need to attach a cam to your head on one of these ultra-buff epics, then speed up the footage, kinda like those time-lapse construction cams..?

Tom :)

Introverted_hiker

Post by Introverted_hiker » August 10th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Joe, do you ever run those Ultramarathons? You seem like the type that would be into that kind of physical torture? :P

joerunner

Post by joerunner » August 11th, 2009, 5:31 am

Yes, thats what I do. I'm a glutton for torture. The more prolonged the better. :geek:

Truthfully, the more you do this kind of stuff, the easier it gets both mentally and physically.

anna in boots

Post by anna in boots » August 11th, 2009, 7:01 am

Joe, you need an avatar. May I suggest a pair of your old running shoes with the soles blown out of them? That would be appropriate. Or maybe just a photo of your amazing feet. You're much too interesting not to have some sort of image connected to your exploits.

anna in boots
Current trip reports at All Thoughts Work™ Outdoors
http://allthoughtsworkoutdoors.wordpress.com/