Siouxon Creek in a rain storm

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
greenjello85

Siouxon Creek in a rain storm

Post by greenjello85 » November 28th, 2014, 5:22 pm

I was able to sneak out again today and try to walk off some turkey! I was searching for a low elevation and wooded hike. I'd never been up to the Siouxon creek area before so Huey and I headed out. This trail is well marked, wide, flat, and REALLY beautiful! As such this will mostly just be pictures ;)

There was so much water, that there were several waterfalls right off the side of the road on the way up there!

After hitting the trail, I met one couple that was leaving just as I started on the trail. I didn't see anyone else until I turned back just before the Chinook Falls. I was surprised to see probably a dozen people on the way out. This is a busy trail!

We headed down the trail and were immersed in a beautiful green, mossy, fern covered forest! Huey was pretty hesitant to cross that first bridge but I finally got him over:)

BEWARE low bridge!
Interestingly enough on the way out two guys were cutting this big fella out of the way and I was able to help them roll the HUGE stump off the trail. Good work guys!

This little guy was kind of cup shaped on the top filled with water!

First glimpse of this little "creek"

Here a waterfall

There a waterfall

The arches are one of my favorite forest features.

While most of the forest is small to medium sized, there are a lot of old growth snags. From reading Bobcats trail description, this area was all burned over a century ago. It's amazing how long this guys take to grow.

A MONSTER down fall and I. I'm 6'2" to give you some perspective.

Interesting branch structure

Waterfall number 82

Waterslide

I don't often get to see trees from this side!

The lollipop loop and creek ford was not happening today :lol:

Next time on Monster Quest, The cannibalistic Giant Squid Tree

I ended up stopping at the creek crossing just before the bridge that is "closed". That side creek was in flood stage! Huey and I decided we were wet enough for the day and enjoy being alive :roll:

**Added a video of the last creek crossing before bridge. Click to go to photobuck**

It was a a foggy, wet day... and it was awesome

So on the drive out there appears to be a HUGE waterfall across the valley in the middle of a clear cut just after 54 runs back into 57. Anyone ever seen this up close? It looks like a vertical drop but it could just be an optical illusion.

~Dan
Last edited by greenjello85 on November 28th, 2014, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy

Re: Siouxon Creek in a rain storm

Post by Lumpy » November 28th, 2014, 8:16 pm

That water is pretty danged high. Huey was a damp doggie!
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 3rd, 2014, 7:41 am

Nice winter hike - thinking about taking a visiting friend up there over the Christmas holidays (he's been living in the SW desert country for awhile, and could use some waterfall/river therapy). Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » December 3rd, 2014, 10:08 pm

Thanks for the replies,

Lumpy, Yeah we were both soaked! It actually inspired me to invest in some rain gear, and try to waterproof my boots :lol:

Splintercat, It seems like a great place to hike during the winter. I can't wait to explore the rest of that area!

This seems like prime wilderness territory as it's already road-less and beautiful! I was a bit worried by the destruction across the valley to the south from the main road...

~Dan

Shehikes

Post by Shehikes » February 25th, 2015, 11:42 pm

Hi, I know this is post is a little old, but I'm wondering about trail access. Is this a gated road? I've been thwarted too many times recently by forest roads that were closed for the winter--I'm hoping to do Siouxon Creek this weekend but don't want to drive an hour just to turn back a couple miles before the trailhead.
It looks beautiful out there!
L

Lumpy

Post by Lumpy » February 26th, 2015, 12:26 am

Here's one way to find out. Go to the Field Guide for the hike and clikc on teh trailhead you are going to use.
http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide ... _Trailhead

Get the raod names and/or numbers to get there. In the case of Siouxon Creek TH, those road are FR 54, FR 57, and FR 5701 in the GPNF.

You can check the GPNF website http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/giffordp ... recreation (then scroll down to the forest roads) and if you see the same thing I saw when I posted this, FR 5701 is OPEN!

Then, just to make sure, you can call one of the GPNF locations listed on the left side of the page to verify what the webpage tells you. While you have someone on the phone, you can verify if you need any permits, if there is a water faucet is it running or if the bathrooms are open, etc.

Hope that helped! :)
"Why are you always chasing women?"
"I'll tell you as soon as I catch one!"

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » February 26th, 2015, 5:13 am

There are no gates to this trail head, the only thing that might stop someone in the winter is snow/ice.

Asphalt all the way to the TH too with minor patches of gravel here and there.

Shehikes

Post by Shehikes » February 26th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Thanks Eric and Lumpy! Looks like I'm good to go, can't wait for that lush creek action :) If I'm lucky I'll even find a few salamanders under logs!