10/25/14 Near Death Experience at Threemile Lake Tr OR Dunes

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
texasbb

Re: 10/25/14 Near Death Experience at Threemile Lake Tr OR D

Post by texasbb » October 31st, 2014, 12:45 pm

R11 wrote:My opinion is that people in general are way too uptight and most could benefit from a little lightening up and humor. If they don't get it, that's just sad...
Yeah, about the only thing worse is people who laugh all the time at stuff that's not funny. And people who don't get hyperbole; they should be rounded up and shot.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » October 31st, 2014, 6:10 pm

Sean - Thanks for the kind words! :) It sure was a ferocious storm, and I'm sure we'll see plenty of evidence on the trails this weekend when we go hiking once more under the canopy! ;) We're praying for better luck from now on as I'm hoping we hit our lifetime quota for near death experiences. :D

Raven - Great idea to watch out for dangerous thawing conditions we should expect to see this winter. Melting snow falling from the tops of tall trees has also proven to be painful on occasion! :roll: We'll probably be a bit more careful when planning for various weather conditions, but I'd sure like to purchase one of those personal force field devices we've seen on sci-fi shows. :lol:

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 31st, 2014, 7:27 pm

Glad you weren't thumped, Mike! Yikes! When I saw the title of this post, I assumed you'd been nearly run over by an ATV... they're also widow-makers, though usually the drivers are the victim... :roll:
And people who don't get hyperbole; they should be rounded up and shot.
Thanks for that, Texas..!

Tom :lol:

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » November 1st, 2014, 7:16 pm

Tom - Thanks for the kind words! Fortunately, I've never been close to being run over by ATV's, :) but, on one hike there were three power rangers racing along the Bells Mt. Trail (in WA) and I had to jump aside. The last one in the pack actually waved to me as if he was passing me on the street. :?

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 1st, 2014, 9:33 pm

mileagemike25000 wrote:The drive wasn't too bad, and my wife took it slowly for the entire hour long drive.
Glad you survived that adventure, Mike! Now hopefully, it won't give you post traumatic stress syndrome. I was in a very serious tractor/trailer wreck involving a blown over tree onto I-84 near Bonneville Dam back in 2006 and it took me about 7 years to not be afraid of driving in bad weather. I guess slamming into a blowover at 60 mph can do a little more than physical damage.

Is there a quicker way down there? When I drive there, it takes way more than an hour to get there. One and a half hours to Eugene and another hour or so to Florence on the 126, then about 30 minutes south on 101. Is there a special atomic transporter that your wife uses? :lol:

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » November 1st, 2014, 10:13 pm

Depending on where in the Metro Area you are starting from, it can be shorter, though not always quicker, to go via 18 to Lincoln City and then 101. If I remember correctly it's close to 15 miles off that way for me. But I do live a block from 99w. I think it definitely breaks up the boredom of the drive a bit more offering any number of places to stop for a break by using that route at least one way. Not on a summer/holiday weekend of course. It'd take forever to get thru both Lincoln City and Newport if there's a lot of traffic and people in the way.

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » November 2nd, 2014, 8:12 pm

Forestkeeper - Thanks for the support! I'm so sorry to hear about your accident on I-84, and I can completely understand the PTSD. :( It's great that you were finally able to overcome that horrible experience. :) Thankfully, I've already gone out on two hikes this weekend and didn't find it traumatic, but my senses were on alert. We're being very careful, but for some reason, it just seems improbable that this will happen again. :? I was looking up quite a bit, and noticed that there are an amazing amount of tall snags that look ready to fall over. I enjoy hiking so much, that I just can't let this single incident keep me from my passion and goals. :D We will do our best to be cautious and avoid obvious danger signs, but if it is meant to end this way, then at least it was during something I/we loved! :o :)

We took I5 down south and then turned west on hwy34 to Corvallis. We then took hwy20 to Newport, and turned south on hwy101 to Yachats. Our hike at the Dunes was about 1 hour south of Yachats.

Take Care!