Dollar Lake Fire

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
blainef

Re: Dollar Lake Fire

Post by blainef » September 22nd, 2011, 6:59 am

Peder wrote:
blainef wrote: I am not sure if you are spam or not... Anyhow, I would expect the Cloud Cap Road to remain closed in the foreseeable future.
Nope no spam here. :)
Thanks for the reply. I'll call the ranger station today and see if there are any estimated on it opening, just thought I'd try asking here too though.

Blaine

raven

Post by raven » September 22nd, 2011, 10:27 am

I thought the post was spam until I looked at the website. As an introduction, Blaine could have described his website's intro picture "another view of the Dollar Lake fire" in the message text, rather than just provide a signature link as spammer's usually do.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 22nd, 2011, 11:01 am

adamschneider wrote:
Peder wrote:I am not sure if you are spam or not...
Geez, touchy. He's not spam!
Hopefully anyone that has just a few posts won't be sensitive if people are suspicious that they're spammers :)

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » September 22nd, 2011, 1:47 pm

By the way Blaine, that's an incredible picture!

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » September 22nd, 2011, 2:06 pm

Been a silent lurker of Blaine's site for some time now. Everytime he posts a new picture, they keep getting better! He's fortunate to live right in the middle of a photographers paradise, but he's taken full advantage of it. Welcome to the site
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

blainef

Post by blainef » September 24th, 2011, 8:12 am

Thanks for the kind words about http://beautifulhoodriver.com/ !
Once things settle down a bit I'll actually start updating it again. Too little time all throughout the summer and fall.
Sorry to come across like a spammer. I just added some stuff to my profile to look like a real person now :)

BTW, I called the Dollar Lake fire hotline, and the guy was really friendly and informative. Unfortunately he doesn't think Cloud Cap Road will be open for quite some time. Wasn't sure on the amount of time, but seemed to think it would be a while, like months... We'll see I guess!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » September 24th, 2011, 8:20 am

Welcome, Blaine! I've admired your photos, too -- epic shot of the Dollar Lake Fire on your blog. That is to the Dollar Fire as Steve's Nehl's classic shot of Mt. Hood is to the Hale Bopp comet. Gorgeous!

Tom :)

Peder

Post by Peder » September 24th, 2011, 8:36 am

blainef wrote:Sorry to come across like a spammer.
Blaine - Sorry about being suspicious and not just checking your link. Those are great pictures on your website; I love the picture of the Dollar Lake fire. My pictures taken in the opposite direction the day before can be found on the second page of this thread. Regarding your avatar, it is a great picture but I prefer the aquatic one on your website!
about1.jpg
Probably Blaine...
I will keep an eye on your pictures, they are fantastic. Again, welcome!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 24th, 2011, 9:03 am

Re anything close to the Dollar Lake fire, such as Cloud Cap and others: it will take what the FS folks call a "season-ending event" before the fire is out. Such an event consists of lots of rain and, at higher elevations, snow, which of course will close the road until next summer.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 24th, 2011, 9:40 am

Speaking of photos, a friend of mine sent me a link to one that he shot on September 3 from somewhere in the Hood River Valley. I told him he should just post it himself, but he never did, so here it is:

(Click to embiggen)