The Dogs of Oregon Hikers

General discussions on hiking in Oregon and the Pacific Northwest
Waffle Stomper

Re: The Dogs of Portland Hikers

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 13th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Grannyhiker wrote:Sweet dog! Welcome Scout, to the Dogs of Portland Hikers! You're in great company here!

I'm still looking, although I'll have my daughter's new dog (15-month-old black Lab, Guide Dogs for the Blind reject) for 6 weeks after New Year's while they visit New Zealand! He seems to be having the same problems my Hysson did at that age (vomiting) and is going through an elimination diet to determine allergies right now. So at least that will be familiar! Of course if I find a new dog for me before then, I'll be hiking (or being walked by) two dogs at once, which will be interesting!
Nothing like having a four legged house guest to remind you how fun it is, problems and all.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 24th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Janice reminded me that I haven't bragged about my pups recently... :lol: ...which is never a problem, of course! :D

Mainly, an update on little Whiskey, our Silken Windhound puppy. He's at 9 months now, and pretty close to his full stature - here's a pic from a couple weeks ago, on a walk down at Clackamette Park:

This is Whiskey and Jesse (our miracle dog with the million-dollar legs -- doing great, by the way) for size comparison as of a week or two ago -- Jesse weighs about 85 lbs and Whiskey is up to about 30 lbs:

To give a sense of just how fast he's grown, here's Whiskey having breakfast with Jesse early last July, at about four months -- at that point, he would just walk under her as if she were some sort of freeway overpass:

He'd have to squeeze under, now.... which he occasionally tries... he's probably wondering why Jesse is shrinking..! :lol:

Here's Whiskey with Tocho, who we adopted last March when he retired from being a show dog -- Tocho is coming up on 9 years old, but has been Whiskey's main playmate for chasing, roughhouse, etc. -- they're both Silken Windhounds and Tocho knows what he's doing when it comes to puppies, as he was bred throughout his life before we adopted him:

We're coming up on a year from when we abruptly lost Jesse's sister, Joker, and our little Whippet Jinx -- that's going to be hard, even though the new pups have gone a long way to fill the space in our hearts. Lots of change and transition this year... glad to have the new pack settling in, that's for sure.

Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » November 25th, 2013, 8:12 am

Great pics. You'll always miss your kids.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 1st, 2013, 6:40 am

What a wonderful pack you have, Tom.

lisaeirene

Post by lisaeirene » December 3rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

These pictures are so great!!!! :D

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 4th, 2013, 7:55 am

Great pics of the pups, Tom :)

Happy Holidays from Nemo:

A couple of old ones of Nemo on a backpacking trip up Herman Creek. Here he is at the house on top of the Herman cutoff:

And taking in those views on Green Point Mountain:

Last and although least in size(but never last in heart) is little Bert. This time of the year he magically grows antlers and turns in to... dunt dunt dun!! Reinbert :D

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 4th, 2013, 8:28 am

Happy Holidays, Nemo. What a fine dog you are. Sprouting antlers is always ruff. :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » December 15th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Took the dogs to the coast on Saturday. It was a big day for these two :)

The ball rules all:

Jack did his usual amount of hopping :lol:

Even Nemo thinks Jack is crazy:

I elected to be buried alive and Jack was happy to help out with the digging process:

The old man taking full advantage of a defenseless human:

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » December 16th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Happy dogs.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » December 19th, 2013, 7:53 am

Great photos of Nemo and Bert, Sean! But I'm wondering which one buried you to your neck... or was it a joint effort..? :D

Tom :)